Stand Or Sit?

Mattman

Hi all!

I'm a boat seat designer & at the moment I'm conducting a bit of research & am hoping you all could tell me roughly;

- what percentage you stand and/or sit while operating your boats & why?

- what you would be looking for in a seat?

My mission is to provide a boat seat/s for you the boat owner/operators that will actually provide the support you need in ALL boating conditions, rather than just making something pretty which only does half the job or less.

Any answers would be most appreciated!

We used to have a 6 meter haines center console with air suspension seats but everyone always stood up unless we were trolling.

We now have a 6.2 meter alloy cuddycab, seats are great but the driver still stands up alot of the time.

I stand up as i cant see whats ahead of me when the boat planes.

Wider seats would be great with high backs on them.

Our new boat has a bench styled seat along the back but the back is not high enough.

Also a rear bench seat that folds away nicely under the coaming so the cushion could be used to pad your knees when fishing.

Alot of people who use there boats for a variety of activities including family fishing, game fishing, family crusing, skiing etc if i was one of them people i would love removable seats.

cheers james

Hi Mate,

Once up on the plane I stand to use my knees to absorb bumps from swell and wake. My seat is at a good height that gives me good visability but I feel more comfortable on my toes.

While at rest however I would like a Smoky Dawson chair in the nav position that takes 20c coins before you can put the foot rest up so I can make up some beer money from the crew :)

Robbie.

Good thread. The first thing that came out of my boat were the seats. That was 18 years ago and my boat has gone seatless since :074:

If i ever were to put seats back in, i'd opt for those Boat Box style Duo-helms. You know the ones with the little rearward facing seat. You end up with 4 seats and a stack of storage :thumbup:

Another reason i like to stand when driving is because i don't like to look through a windscreen, or clears for that matter. Unobstructed vision is very important, especially at night time and its also handy for spotting tailing marlin etc

Cheers

Red

Sometimes it depends.When out on the water all day,do we really need to stand. As we get OLDER a nice comfortable seat is essential.

It does come down to individual and type of fishing and conditions. I enjoy my Tinney whilst fishing as relaxation is also a big part of my fishing.

CHEERS BART :thumbup:

Guest Big-Banana

If i ever were to put seats back in, i'd opt for those Boat Box style Duo-helms. You know the ones with the little rearward facing seat. You end up with 4 seats and a stack of storage :thumbup:

These things are the devil! They take up way too much fishing room, and I'd only be going for them if there was no storage elsewhere.

I like to stand 99% of the time, but the older blokes like to sit :1prop:

I have 5.8m cabin and will sit and stand, when offshore pretty much stand all the time find better visibility, whilst trolling sit.

Friend asked me question if seat was able to be adjusted up and down would you still stand. That is an interesting question?

thus for me also the height of the seat (ie adjustable) would be nice this would give you the best of both worlds.

Also a seat that is well paddy and easy to get in an out of because I find as you troll you sit, line goes off you stand.

then probably all hell breaks lose but you get the picture.

As a owner of a 5.0 quinnie the

i stand in bigger swell and under 3/4toWOT runs (using my knees as shocks)

if i am cruising/ coming into wharf/dock i sit more

the rear set in the boat is under done as it bends whilst people are on it when hitting light swell.

i would like my front adjustable in height

i stand and remove the seat to make room for me in my 4m tinny

i use the seat when bait fishing all the time but when travelling i prefer to stand

the thing i hate about my boat is when you sit, my head is above the windscreen and i cant see through the bimini. when designing a seat talk to the idiot who designs the windscreens. maybe you should work together :tease:

I have a bass boat and the seats are nice at normal speeds but at high speed over harbour chop they are a little firm. Not to good on the back on long choppy runs and the ball slap on the seats on re-entry on ferry wash is a killer!

Maybe a dug out section in the seat for your balls to hang would be nice :thumbup:

and

yes

I'm being serious!

Greg

I hear what you're all saying guys.

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been more effort made to provide decent seating after all these decades of boating.

As it happens, I have a design I'm trying to get onto the market.

It's an adjustable seat that converts from a normal sitting on seat, to a lean on type boster position.

I've got a design that has a low-back as well as a high-back style.

I designed it so it can be mounted on a box or a pedestal.

It works like in the pic I've attached.

What do you guys think?

post-5569-1190764761_thumb.jpg

I like your thinking mattman, one of the primary issues is the amount of distance (or lack thereof) between the seat and the console on many boats. So the less forward distance taken up the better I would think. Depending on pricing I would be interested for sure.

Geoff

I am trying to make this a business & as such I'm looking to get an order together at the moment for the first lot of seats I need to make. I'm offering the seats at very close to cost so I can get the ball rolling.

The retail price will be good anyway, but I want to get this going in earnest so that's why I'll offer the first lot at close to cost.

If you or anyone else is interested (and if the admins don't mind, I don't want to get into trouble) I'll put some photos up & you can PM me for my contact details & I'll let you know the pricing etc I have set.

I much prefer to stand Two reasons vision and I like to feel how the boat is handleing through my feet as well as the wheel and adjust speed and trim as required

I believe you Greg after spending time in Marks triton with his driving :1yikes::074:

Interesting concept mattman It looks good Will it be able to swivell around as well?

Interesting concept mattman It looks good Will it be able to swivell around as well?

G'day Iceman.

Yep!

I've designed the seat to be able to be mounted with a swivel and/or a slide, on a box or on a pedestal.

I have put a lot of work into making this a very versatile seat.

Retro fitting & new fit out is no worries.

plus- there's no wood or staples in the seat at all.

It's constructed from 4mm aluminium & marine grade stainless steel.

If you or anyone else is interested (and if the admins don't mind, I don't want to get into trouble) I'll put some photos up & you can PM me for my contact details & I'll let you know the pricing etc I have set.

Matt ,you are now breaking the site rules advertising your business and seats :thumbdown:

Read the Site Rules and adhere to them please.

This topic will be closed until Matt gets back to Admin.

Apologies to anyone I may have offended (sponsors, admin or members) by breaking the rules of the forum.

It was not my intention to break the advertising rules by mentioning my business that I am trying to get going, without prior premission from the site admins.

I certainly am not out to have a lend in any way shape or form & my mention was purely a result of getting too enthusiastic about my mission.

I appreciate all the feedback from the members who responded to my call for research & will certainly keep it in mind when working on future seats/products.

Hopefull next when you see me promoting my seats on the site, it will be in the form of site approved banner advertising etc.

Thanks again.