Lion Island

Hutcho1

Hi Raiders,

Headed out of Brisbane Waters this morning with an old mate Paul, 65 and a sly old dog. He's a cunning fisherman and I've learnt a hell of a lot from this experience angler. Unfortunately I haven't seen him for a few years so we thought we would renew our acquaitance over a fishing expedition. I remembered he always started fishing by saying, "Now mate, this isn't a competition you know!!" Yeah right.

Started at Patonga, I was throwing plastics and he was using whitebait. Scored five flatties but it was very slow compared to last week when they were really on the tooth. At this stage we were pretty even. Wind picked up from the North and with the outgoing tide it was starting to get difficult drifting so we moved over to the northside of Lion Island. We put out a berly trail and within ten minutes in was mayhem, travelly were hitting our unweighted baits almost on the surface and we kept 7 fairly big ones.

About 30 minutes later the travelly took off and we started catching bream. These were quality fish and we kept five beautiful blue nose thumpers. All this within a four hour fish.

All up 16 fish to take home for a great feed and good way to catch up with an old mate. He thinks I'm a genious for finding the fish!!!!! More good luck than anything.

We were floating unweighted baits, mainly peeled prawns but in the end they were taking anything we sent down the line, including themselves.

One very interesting issue arose during the morning. I was using my spin rod with 4kg braid and a 2.5kg mono trace. He was using regular blue fishing line and outdoing me 2 to 1. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is the braid too visable for fishing floaters in fairly clear water? It was definately a significant difference, he slayed me. Or is it just the young bull and the old bull story all over again.

I LOVE holidays.

Regards, Hutcho

One very interesting issue arose during the morning. I was using my spin rod with 4kg braid and a 2.5kg mono trace. He was using regular blue fishing line and outdoing me 2 to 1. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is the braid too visible for fishing floaters in fairly clear water? It was definitely a significant difference, he slayed me. Or is it just the young bull and the old bull story all over again.

Great work there Hutcho, sounds like great day to me.

As for the line it could have been the different aspects of where the line was floating i.e.. because of the different thickness and properties of the line the bait could have ended up in a different spot or presented the bait in a different spot because you were using floaters.........

or he's just a better fisherman than you :biggrin2:

B.F.

G'day Rubes,

Looks like you are another Copa lad, I'm in Ensenada. I threw some lures around the flats near Ettalong without a touch. I have heard they have been catching 4kg model Flathead near the wharfs at night spinning plastics just on the dark line. Good Luck.

Regards, Hutcho

when we fish lightly weighted drummer baits off the rocks, i have noticed much better results when using mono than braid.... i figure that if you can feel every tap on braid, equally the fish can feel your rod every bite... the stretch in mono helps to overcome this.....

just a thought...