Middle Harbour 30th September 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

With all this talk of large Kings and plentiful squid, we thought we would give it a red hot go on Sunday.

We launched at Tunks and went straight out to the squid grounds where we snaffled 8 decent Calamari in about a hour. We then headed straight back into Middle Harbour to try for a King. :biggrin2:

We soaked fresh squid baits around the moorings for a couple of hours without so much as a touch. On the high tide, we decided to give the Kings a miss and go searching for some dinner. On go the plastics and we started our quest.

We fished the flats, moorings, drop offs and scoured some virgin territory picking up Flatties at each spot we tried. All fish were between 40cm and 60cm which are perfect for the table. :thumbup:

We were fishing Squidgie Fish, Berkley Minnows and some strange little lure my brother found in the bottom of his tackle bag. :wacko:

All in all, a great day despite the lack of Seriola.

Nick with a 60cm Dusky

The Catch!!

Edited by Ceph

Good work Ceph, you and the plastics!!

Kings didnt show me the time of day yesterday either!!! Picked up a few more squid but they just got picked apart. Ended just picking the :wife: up from the ramp and catching some sun over a couple beers in a nice sheltered bay!! The sun was the only bloody thing i caught other the the squid!!

Well done on your feed Ceph, a feed of calamari and flatties is very nice indeed.

Shame the Kings did not show up, will have to wait until next time. They should show up any time soon...

I hope so.. no doubt we will see you there downrigging your ass off !!! I have new rod holders now.. :biggrin2:

Nice work Ceph,

It's a great way to catch flatties and a great feed to boot. I remember a couple of years ago I used to get heaps of fish on hard body lures bp. (before plastics) at this time of the year, they are hungry buggers when their on.

Well done.

Regards, Hutcho

Nice work mate! shame the kings didnt show up but you guys did well anyway!

Out of interest, and only if you dont mind saying, what size were the squidgy fish you used and on what size jighead? I have only ever had success with the little ones, say 85mm-100mm on real light heads in shallow water... The wrigglers have been most successful for me, probably because they are so easy to impart action in to!

I hope so.. no doubt we will see you there downrigging your ass off !!! I have new rod holders now.. :biggrin2:

Ha ha, I see you were holding your Stella !! How has she held up after the dunking? Any rust or faults?

I can't wait to get stuck into the Summer kings. I haven't been out on my boat for a while, been bludging lifts from a certain fisho. Will be good to get out the Scottys again, see you out on the water soon...

Ha ha, I see you were holding your Stella !! How has she held up after the dunking? Any rust or faults?

I can't wait to get stuck into the Summer kings. I haven't been out on my boat for a while, been bludging lifts from a certain fisho. Will be good to get out the Scottys again, see you out on the water soon...

The old Stella is as smoooooth as ever after the 3 week swim. Time will tell though. I did have five of the main bearings replaced just as a precaution. :biggrin2: