Out Of Tunks Park Friday

saltrix

My mate and I launched at Tunks about 5.30 am but it was a bit late as the sun was well up.

Tried for squid at my usual spots but no immediate hits so we trolled Nth Head but nothing interested there either.

The salmon were working so we gave them a bit of a throw and I hooked up straight away but lost it after a few minutes. Thye then would not co-operate so we left them to bash the bottom off Dee Why Wide.

Got a couple of flathead there, then went to Long Reef for a few more and a mowie.

Tried to burley up trevally in closer at a good showing but the current was a bit fierce but managed a couple more mowies and some extras.

On the way home the salmon had moved into the harbour but we couldn't get any hits. Back about 12.30.

The reference rule is 25 cm.

post-3961-1191570328_thumb.jpg

wow nice work there!!!

haha boy i look forward to the day when i can come home iwth that much fish!!

got a bit of a question though... that red fish you have on the right hand side of the photo... is it a cod?? is it edible?? i hooked up one at the merc a while back... i dunno man looked too scary i chucked it back... isnt a general rule in nature that if im colorful, its a warning that if you touch me ill poison you to death and then some??

wow nice work there!!!

haha boy i look forward to the day when i can come home iwth that much fish!!

got a bit of a question though... that red fish you have on the right hand side of the photo... is it a cod?? is it edible?? i hooked up one at the merc a while back... i dunno man looked too scary i chucked it back... isnt a general rule in nature that if im colorful, its a warning that if you touch me ill poison you to death and then some??

The fish is a Red Rock Cod. Also known as the Eastern Red Scorpiancod. If you get one large enough they are very good eating with firm white flakey flesh. They are also known as poor mans lobster, They are equipped with stinging venomous spines dorsal and pectoral so must be handled with great care. Strangely sometimes the sting is mild, othertimes very painful. Once cooked of course the heat disables the venom and they are quite safe to eat, but if you are not equipped with pliers or gloves probably the safest thing is to cut them off.

The first aid if you are stung is to apply heat as hot as you can stand without burning yourself, another reason to carry a thermous of hot water.

alan

Edited by saltrix

The fish is a Red Rock Cod. Also known as the Eastern Red Scorpiancod. If you get one large enough they are very good eating with firm white flakey flesh. They are also known as poor mans lobster, They are equipped with stinging venomous spines dorsal and pectoral so must be handled with great care. Strangely sometimes the sting is mild, othertimes very painful. Once cooked of course the heat disables the venom and they are quite safe to eat, but if you are not equipped with pliers or gloves probably the safest thing is to cut them off.

The first aid if you are stung is to apply heat as hot as you can stand without burning yourself, another reason to carry a thermous of hot water.

alan

wooo really??? how do i cook it without getting killed??? or are you saying fillet with gloves on?? ya i had a suspicion it wasnt a safe fishy..

wooo really??? how do i cook it without getting killed??? or are you saying fillet with gloves on?? ya i had a suspicion it wasnt a safe fishy..

It wont kill you, a few hours of pain is the worst you will get, but yes handle them carefully and use a pair of leather garden gloves if you dont feel confidant to avoid the spines. Another trick is to use a pair of sidecutting pliers to snip the spines off.

I sometimes do this with flathead as their spines can give you a painful sting also and a quick snip gets rid of the problem.

Alan

Hi Saltrix,

good catch and i hope it was nice out there today. A bit more current that when we went out last time.

the red rock cod is also very nice in soup. when we catch them, it goes straight to the relos and they make their fish soup with it. dont know how to make the soup but it is quite nice.

Jay Kay