Cronulla Hammerhead

james7

Hi all

Another late start Friday. Heard there were flathead off Jibbon, so headed out there, but only managed a couple of wrasse. Moved out wider drifting for flathead ... nothing there either. Anchored at Osborne, burleyed for an hour. Again ... not a touch. Not a great day so far. :thumbdown: (I told my mate Syd that it was a mistake to shoot that albatros while eating bananas!!) :074:

The wind had steadily increased so we moved to Boat Harbour and let the strong northerly take us all the way to North Cronulla. Got a big yakka, so out it went on the heavy gear. About 20 minutes later Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... and the boredom quickly disappeared. Whatever it was must have been decent because line just peeled off despite the 5kg drag. After a minute the line suddenly went slack. Syd started cursing. :ranting2: It was one of those days. He pulled it in and the yakka was bitten cleanly in half.

post-4381-1191640516_thumb.jpg

The strange thing was that the two hooks of the rig still held the two pieces of yakka??

Syd threw the tail half of the yakka out again hoping whatever it was might come back. Fifteeen minutes later and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Syd was back into action. He tells me that unfortunately this one was much smaller.

post-4381-1191640621_thumb.jpg

He correctly called it as a small shark and soon up comes a little hammerhead.

post-4381-1191639595_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1191639643_thumb.jpg

It measured 85cm

post-4381-1191640852_thumb.jpg

The hooks came out easily and …

post-4381-1191640885_thumb.jpg

back he went to fight again another day

The wind was even stronger and we’d had enough, so back to the ramp.

No fish for dinner tonight, but it was still great to be out on the water again.

:thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

mate welldone, good to see you fighting the weather.

How deep did u put the yakka?

Cheers,

Mike

Yeah Mike, that wind was a real pain after a while. At least it wasn't cold.

We were drifting very quickly so the yakka must have been pretty close to the surface

awsome work on the hammer mate, ive always tried to get them when they have been smashing our burly but never managed to hook one.

do they go hard for a fight.

Yeah, they normally do. This one was fairly quiet though according to Syd (the bloke that caught it)

I've caught a couple over the years and they can really give you a run for your money. There was one (about 1.2m) that really gave me a workout on 12lb line. It took about 20 minutes to get him to the boat.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Nice catch and release guys!!!! Im still yet to see a shark of any kind while fishing.....Im sure its only a matter of time. A mate of mine was up the coast at mungo brush last weekend and saw white pointers hitting the salmon schools from the beach so they swam out to get a better look ............

All of the preseeding was true except for the swiming part!!!!! :074:

Here is another picture of Syd's hammerhead. Notice how it was bleeding profusely and also, the blood was exceptionally bright red.

post-4381-1191669830_thumb.jpg

Last year I caught this little hammer 200m off Marley. It had the same bright red blood.

post-4381-1191670769_thumb.jpg

Both swam away okay when released.

I guess their blood must be highly oxygenated.

Anyone else noticed that with other particular fish? I suppose tuna would be one example from some of the photos I've seen. Maybe that's why they're good fighters?

Cheers

Peter

PeterS,

Just a question, and I am not sure about all those places you mentioned.

But Isn't Jibbon south of Cronulla.

I am curious about wind direction. As you said Northerly, Doesn't the direction come from (where the wind is coming from, rather than going to)

As I said, I am unsure of all of this, but just wanted to check.

ps I like the wry smile on the sharks face.

Arch

PeterS,

Just a question, and I am not sure about all those places you mentioned.

But Isn't Jibbon south of Cronulla.

I am curious about wind direction. As you said Northerly, Doesn't the direction come from (where the wind is coming from, rather than going to)

As I said, I am unsure of all of this, but just wanted to check.

ps I like the wry smile on the sharks face.

Arch

Hi Arch

Yes, Jibbon is south of Cronulla. I'm not sure about what you're asking, but in the report, I did say that we first went to Jibbon (just east of the bombora actually), then moved a few times before starting a long drift from Boat Harbour to Cronulla. Boat Harbour is north of Cronulla (not far from Kurnell) but still in Bate Bay. The wind was mostly nor nor east I suppose.

I hope that clears it up.

Cheers

Peter