Live Bait Pumps

Blood Knot

Recently fitted a Rule 360 model 24 directly on to stainless scoop. Pretty conventional stuff for live bait tank supply. Only got about 4 or 5 hours service out of the pump before it blew the fuse and stopped working.

Investigated for a blocked impellar etc and found nothing. Curiosity got the better of me so I opened up the sealed pump motor case by circumcising it with a hacksaw and found the motor full of rusty water.

Bit hard to know if the water got in through the rubber cable gland at the top or has been pushed past the impeller seal and into the motor due to high water pressure in the pump housing due to the water being picked up by the scoop and pushed through the pump up to the livewell at high boat speed.

Failing that I just got a dud pump. The guy at Whitworths tells me my setup is the same as "thousands of others" but cant tell me if it will happen again.

Any one else had this trouble or got a theory to share ??

I originally had an Attwood Thru-Hull pump for my bait/livewell setup. That crapped itself after about 9 months. I since fitted a Rule brand one, and it seems to be very low on pressure, similar to having an air lock the last time I used it. I have pushed water through it to make sure there was no blockage and will investigate further next time I'm out.

Jury is still out! :thumbdown:

Guest bluecod

I've heard that you might go through three or four Rule pumps before you'll find one that will last - it seems a common problem with them is they lose impellor speed/bind up and either burn out or blow fuses - you can usually get them replaced under warrranty. Or try another brand!

I've never heard a bad word on rule pumps until now, the bloke at bias even told me he'd never seen one returned. :1yikes: Having said that, I'm pretty sure I have a Johnson pump in the signature, still going strong after 3 years and I've never even unscrewed it to clean it out, should probably do that. :hitsfan:

BK IVE GOT A RULE WITH A SCOOP NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. NEVER EVEN FLUSH IT AFTER USE , ITLL PROBABLY CRAP ITS SELF NOW IVE SAID THAT, ID SEND IT TO RULE AS I DID WITH MY OUT OF WARRANTY JOHNSON PUMP BET THEY REPLACE IT , NOONE LIKES BAD PUBLICITY. ITS WORTH A TRY, JOHNNO SENT ME A NEW PUMP LASTEST MODEL AND ALL.

I have always used Rule pumps & never had a problem with them.

I had the Johnson pumps in my Hornet changed to Rule & have not had a problem in 2 years.

If anyone wants the Johnson pumps let me know. They are free.

Thanks for the feedback so far, would love to hear from someone with a scoop set up under their pump.

Took the stuffed one back to Whitworths today. They were not to interested in replacing it as I had cut it open as previously described and had lost the docket. I did point out the Whitworth price sticker on the blister pack the pump came in by way of establishing its heritage, but I guess Rules are Rules (inexcuseable pun in this case I know). Finally gave them my mobile & name and asked if they would send it back anyway.

Will hook up the new one and try again.

John

B Knot i dont know exactly what size it is but it sits on the stainless scoop bracket & it would only be 70mm high, the complete unit, & it pumps a head of 4 to 5 ft . there was something seriously wrong with the old one of yours. I always deal with the manufacturer direct on warranty even when they have checked with the store that sold it, after all the store not keen on a warranty claim as they want to sell y ou another one . remember every customer is an oppotunity. hope this helps ED ps when my boat is under way the scoop just fills the tank in under 60 sec.

Intersting topic, my live bait tank pump (johnson) failed a few weeks back. Its been in the boat along side the rule bilge pump for about a year. Bilge pump works, but the johnson pump has failed. One thing I did look at with the Johnson pump is that you can replace just the pump, as the body being a through the hull set up is going to be a pain to replace - havent yet looked into getting the new pump though...

Hey Ken, what size are your Johnson pumps, and how much do you want for one???

Adrian

Guest bluecod

Bashir,

Interesting point about the bloke at Bias, because that's exactly where I was advised about the failure rate with Rules - we were replacing our second dud bait pump within two months at the time- now running Johnson and haven't had a problem [yet].

Judging from the posts, I would now have to say that the brands on the market are just as suspect as each other and its probably a hit and miss affair whether you get a good one or not. I also think the problems could be associated with the smaller bait pumps as the larger bilge pumps seem to be more reliable [thankfully].

I've never heard a bad word on rule pumps until now, the bloke at bias even told me he'd never seen one returned. :1yikes: Having said that, I'm pretty sure I have a Johnson pump in the signature, still going strong after 3 years and I've never even unscrewed it to clean it out, should probably do that. :hitsfan:

23775[/snapback]

Bashir,

I actually changed mine to a 1500 GPH and used the origanal johnson for the live bait tank, I think there pump from standard is to small :thumbdown: for a good wave over the side when you need to get it out quick.

Tony, I will be doing the same thing soon, the deckwash pump just doesn't cut it when you have a tank full of slimies.

23947[/snapback]

Bashir,

I run a 460GPH for the live bait tank and have a seperate sureflo deckwash pump on mine.