Mainbar, Bundeena, Tom Ugly's 17/10

landbased

Hey all just a quick note about my trip on Wednesday.

I bought a new bait pump last week so I thought I would give bait fishing a go go for once.

At 4 am my friend from work came to my place to pick me up then off to mainbar to a/ have ahour of plastic flicking before bait gathering. Got there about 4.40 and went out onto the flats flicked in my favourite spot for 20mins for a big doughnut :( not to be defeted we cast around the whole area for another 45 mins for not even a hit :( nothing. S we then decided to start on the bait gathering, first time I've ever done that and found it quite easy to do (yay another skill) and ended up with about 20 trillion yabbies :1yikes: a few too many we thought so I dug a nice hole and put a few back like most of them :)

Anyway decided to start fishing the rising there for a few whiting but the southerly started howling through and made life a tad hard so we went to Bundeena and be sheltered from the gale. Stayed there untill about 1pm for 0 not even a bite :ranting2:

I ended up getting sick of the nothingness and decided to fish Tom Ugly's southe side. First cast and I got a little whiting, too small for anything and not legal so back he went. After that nothing untill I hooked a passing duck which flew into my line and got hooked in the neck :( But I saved him and off he went as well, After that I got a small bream, then a bream to about 25cm and lastly a flathead to about 35 cm. My friend from work caught nothing at all. At about 4pm we went home and I had chicken for dinner.

All in all that southerly killed any chance of a feed and the fish shut down everywhere.

Nice report landbased. Shame you didn't get more fish, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

At least you've now mastered the ancient art of "nippering" :thumbup:

After that nothing untill I hooked a passing duck which flew into my line and got hooked in the neck But I saved him and off he went as well,

Any photos of the duck? Was it a "legal" duck? :074: What bait were you using? :074:

Seriously though, I would of loved to have been out fishing Wednesday, despite the wind. Better than sitting in an office!

Thanks for the report and better luck next time

Cheers

That was a very entertaining report, hope daffy was okay after his ordeal,

I remember Mainbar , it was at my uncles little shack thingo they had and all I remrmber is catching gazillions of pink nippers, with some big pipe thing with thumb holes and big handles on the side to drive it into the sand, Iwas only about 6 or 7. Anyway very entertaining.. Cheers..

Nice read there champ... made me laugh as I'm sure every fisho has that happen to them as well and thought to themselves yep I've had one of those days!! hey at least you were out there having a go beats what I was doing laying a slab of concrete :(