Anyone Know What This One Is?

arpie

Question

Hi guys

This was caught on weed at Lake Cathie - I checked out my Grant's & the closest I could find was a type of Angel Fish or Coral Fish, but none of the ones in the book had both stripes & dots. Tried to find it on Amonline but couldn't find any that close to it.

What do you reckon??

post-2231-1192864304_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

7 answers to this question

Hi there Roberta, I reckon thats a Striped/Banded Scat

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/smultifa.htm

You will see the fish in the picture(at amonline) has its Dorsal folded back.

Unusual critter, also has poison spines, mind you they look like something to be wary of.

B.F.

Edited by Blackfish

Well done, Blackfish!! I thought I had tried all the options with fins & things that 'guide you' towards the identity of a fish on Amonline!!!

Great to get a name to it! Thanks for that

Roberta

Striped Butterfish Selenotoca multifasciata. I'm pretty sure it's in your Grant's. It's in both the '76 and '99 editions. Ern's interesting anecdote: "Small Striped Butterfish are adaptable to salinity changes to such an extent that they can readily be converted to freshwater; they make very attractive aquarium subjects."

P.S Roberta did you have a story published about a 'snoozing' Barramundi ???

Hi guys

It was a very pretty fish - would look good in a big aquarium ..... I have actually seen professionals catching some of the prettier estuary fish in Wallis Lake, for sale to the Pet shops!

Yes Jigholio, that was my article on 'snoozing barra' in the magazine! It was about the same time I joined Fishraider & was the topic of my first post back then!! Haven't had another go at them yet ...... maybe next year, we'll head north & I can have a go at catching one by normal methods!! It would have been a great story if I had netted it! :1yikes: I had a gi-normous net in the boat - just don't know where I would have sat, had I pulled it in!!! My folding boat is only 10ft long & not real big!

Cheerio

Roberta