Sydney Habour 60-80kg Stingray

drkcld

okay i decided to go driving to fishing for the first time myself since i just got my p's recently, went down to the local stores and got some mince beef and pillies.

got to habour at 4:30pm >.> i got lost since i dont drive often anyways, caught around 10 yellowtails in an hour and live baited them. within 10 mins one of the yellowtail was bitten in half but not hooked on :mad3: kept live baiting but notice that there was nothing around... while the yellowtails were running around i tried to catch more but... OMG i thought i caught a big yellowtail so i pulled it up then suddenly it pulled back harder than i did and the line broke and i was wondering :wacko: maybe its a trev? so i rigged back up and did it again then this time! IT PULLED MY LINE ALL THE WAY DOWN and the handline went down so fast that it burnt my fingers and OH MY i was bleeding quite a lot, i didnt even have the time to let go of my line :thumbdown: im guessing it was a bloody surgeon.

After a while it turned night around 8pm some friends came and we were luring tailors like no tomorrow!

i caught 30 tailors ranging from 10cm to 40cm n throwing them back in and my friend used 2-3 to catch a stingray *i personally didnt know about the fish size limit until today*

at around 9pm some of my mates got a hook up and oh my god was it pulling hard or what! he was fighting the damn stingray for 5-10 minutes! and it just kept pulling out line n was so heavy to pull back.

After 10 mins we saw its body and oh my god again we couldnt believe our eyes on the size of that thing a 4-5ft wide stingray around 70kg right below our feet being hooked on our rod!

hahaha after that we were just taking turns enjoying the fight with the stingray then we cut the line, by the way my friend was using a 80lb fireline for his leader

so we packed up for the night. was a great fishing night i reckon off course i got a go at the stingray too hahah it was so heavy nearly pulled me in!

here are the video links sorry about the quality, since its night my camera cant do good

vid 1

vid 2

vid 3

i say vid 3 is prob the clearest

cheers .steve

btw that was some guy thinking he could lift the stingray until he saw it submerge and saying "oh **** that its 6ft long" quite dangerous if you ask me

post-3117-1193151611_thumb.jpg

post-3117-1193151615_thumb.jpg

Edited by drkcld

Sounds like you guys had a ball - great to read a report where the enthusiasm for fishing fun shines through so clearly! I doubt it was a surgeon that took your bait earlier - they're not very common and are targeted with green weed - it was probably the same stingray that you ended up hooking.

Either way you were having fun and that's all that matters. Good on you guys.

Just be careful with using small tailor for bait - if they're undersize then fisheries can nab you for taking undersize fish. The old "I'm just taking my pet tailor for a swim and had to hook him through the back so he doesn't get away" excuse has been tried too many times for it to work any more!!

Sounds like you guys had a ball - great to read a report where the enthusiasm for fishing fun shines through so clearly! I doubt it was a surgeon that took your bait earlier - they're not very common and are targeted with green weed - it was probably the same stingray that you ended up hooking.

Either way you were having fun and that's all that matters. Good on you guys.

Just be careful with using small tailor for bait - if they're undersize then fisheries can nab you for taking undersize fish. The old "I'm just taking my pet tailor for a swim and had to hook him through the back so he doesn't get away" excuse has been tried too many times for it to work any more!!

thnx i just started fishing this year and i don't really know the size limits :wacko: so yeh first time using tailor as bait prob wont be a next time since stingrays are huge :( forgot to post in the thread that we caught a 40cm tailor :thumbup: but i guess its all good since i threw around 25 of them back in

Edited by drkcld

thnx i just started fishing this year and i don't really know the size limits :wacko: so yeh first time using tailor as bait prob wont be a next time since stingrays are huge :( forgot to post in the thread that we caught a 40cm tailor :thumbup: but i guess its all good since i threw around 25 of them back in

Good chance for you and your mates that you fish with to learn the rules.. They are their for a reason :)

Here's a link to a download that will have all the saltwater rules..

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/resource...g-guide-2005-07

remember, ignorance is not an excuse.

Cheers

Steve.

Edited by skunga

• 2 weeks later...

What's the deal with catching a legal tailor and filleting them to be used as strip bait ?

Don't remember if I read somewhere on the fisheries site (but now I just can't find it!) that the fish cannot be chopped up or disfigured so that their size cannot be ascertained ..

Any info on this ?

What's the deal with catching a legal tailor and filleting them to be used as strip bait ?

Don't remember if I read somewhere on the fisheries site (but now I just can't find it!) that the fish cannot be chopped up or disfigured so that their size cannot be ascertained ..

Any info on this ?

how does one know if a tailor was caught from that session or bought from the fish markets?