Drag Settings?

bluefin

Hi all,

It is well known that Fireline breaks at about double it's claimed breaking strain, so what do you do if you are using 4 lb fireline and 8 lb leader?

Do you treat it as 4 lb line, or 8 lb when setting drag pressure?

Howard.

Hi all,

It is well known that Fireline breaks at about double it's claimed breaking strain, so what do you do if you are using 4 lb fireline and 8 lb leader?

Do you treat it as 4 lb line, or 8 lb when setting drag pressure?

Howard.

24168[/snapback]

If your leader is rated at 8 lbs you should subtract approximately 30% for a potentially weak knot, taking your leader down to about 5 1/2 lbs then using the rule of 1/3 of line strength for your drag setting leaves you with approximately2lbs of drag or 1kg TROUTBOY

No one willing to stick their neck out?

I have been pushing my luck, If i have an 8 lb leader and 4 lb fireline, i have been treating it as 8 lb line and using around 4 to 6 lb of drag.

I have been hoping that the 4 lb Fireline would stand up to higher breaking strain!

So far so good!

Howard.

Edited by bluefin

I would have to say I am the laziest drag setter ever. It is 2 much of a pain to measure it when u take up to 8 rods with u and loosen them everytime I am finished. I turn it till it is difficult to take off the reel even with 4lb fireline - 4 lb leader. If I am tight country I give it another turn, thats about as technical as it gets for me. Probably not utilizing the gear to its potential though.

I use "come here you bastard" drag.

I never bother with scales except on 15 & 24 kg game tackle. After you get the feel even on that gear I just measure it by hand.

If your drag is nice & smooth with no build up ( as it should be) you can fish heavier drag than 1/3rd breaking strain. Over at LHI on Fin I used 30 pounds drag measured direct of the reel of 50 pound tackle & never popped a fish. Saved a lot of fish from the sharks as well :biggrin2:

I like to fight fish not bore em to death :biggrin2::biggrin2: