1hr Late Night Squid And Livey Sesion Weds Night

roosterman

Hi guys,

well last couple of weeks i have made at least 3 or 4 trips to my local squid haunt to stock up for kingy season and a few for dinner... i have been only getting 2 or 3 each session but all have been real good size between 20 - 35cm southerns with the odd cuttle as well.some cuttles as small as bottle squid hitting size 3 jigs,bloody game agressive little buggers....

well my trip last night was full of surprises,i took a couple of rods to soak a livey for jew and yakka slab for bream... i saw a guy get a real nice one week ago around 4lb mark... well i got down there around 10 ish and the old guy already had a bucket quickly filling with yakkas and a nice bream of around 30cm... mmm good sign...

i put a pinch of bread on my very small hook on 6lb handline and flicked it out,and contemplating where to set my livey once caught.... my bait sinks past the marauding yakkas untouched....... but as it nears bottom i feel this massive bang bang..... i strike setting the hook and instantly line is slippng throung fingers... i think holy batshit robin this aint no yakka and thoughts of trevers enter... after a harrowing minute or 2 with this thing looking for structure i see color :1yikes: its a huge bream....... i had no net and played him out as much as i could as i could see he was well hooked.(adrenaline pumping like mad) i eventually lifted him on deck :yahoo: ... he went 37.5 cm... i tried for about 5 min to entice the yakkas with bread (left my mince at home)but they were into fish baits so i put 2 bread baits out on my rods hoping for more surprises and started to work the area for squiddies....

about 20mins later i see a tap tap on my rod and as i near it the drag on the baitrunner starts that lovely tune :biggrin2: .. after a short fight i land a nice breambo of 31.5cm :yahoo: .. set baits back out and continue to work for cephs....

shortly after i nail a nice southern of about 20cm odd (hood length) and about 10 min later another smaller model,smallest ive got from here for a long time... pulled the pin sometime after 11 as had work next day....

all in all a very good quick session with a great by catch.... still cant believe i got that stonker with bread on a luderick hook... thank god the yakkas were dining on fish baits and leaving the bread alone :biggrin2:

post-2219-1193910412_thumb.jpg

post-2219-1193910421_thumb.jpg

cheers .... steve....

Edited by roosterman

Good work Steve :thumbup: the old bread trick ay, It's amazing how you can use a smidgeon of bait at times and get them to fight over it when a full prawn for example will often sit on the bottom at the fingerling farm and none of the fully grown fish will move if it doesn't suit them to take it yet when I hit them with a single barramundi pellet there's a noisy collision of heads.

All you need is to put some vegamite and spinach on it next time and catch a mighty mouse of a popeye fish :lol:

I'm pleased that bloke I fluked had a couple of scotty rod holder downrigger mounts for you. Did you get onto that Singapore bloke for info about two rod holder mounting inserts with mounting plates for my Cannons . I might try and get hold of a metal worker member here to help me out and make them with mounting plates to suit the cannon holes so I can mount them on my Tommy Marines to get a bit more height out of my downriggers.

Kind regards Steve just give me a ring anytime mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

hi guys,

thanks for the replies.....

hi cam,that was spot x alright... i saw an old guy get a massive bream and some trevors the week earlier fishing for yakkas so thought id soak a livey and slab bait in hope of something while tossing my squid jig around... boy what a surprise to get that first big breambo... i was only holding line loosly and the way he stripped the first few yards of line cut my finger but i didnt notice till after... amazing how adrenaline pumping can cover pain..not that it was bad or anything...

hi jewgaffer, i was planning to burly with the bread and use mince(the best imo) but silly me left mince on kitchen sink :1prop: ... was very lucky that bread was not the flavour of the day for the yakkas as that gave the breambo a chance to have a feed :yahoo: ..... there was quite alot of action that night but the squid were still light on in numbers... at least i didnt get an occy that night...most times of late i have hooked them and lost a couple of jigs :ranting2: ... as for that other thing i will fill you in later... long story... will give me a chance to hear all about taren point :biggrin2: ......

we had baked breambo for dinner tonight.mmmmmmmmmmm how nice was that...... love fresh fish....

cheers mate...steve...

Well done, Steve - top fish! Great fight on light gear! I keep meaning to go squidding up here - I have been told of a few spots, but I am usually too contented to stay home in the early evening! Looking forward to Sails coming up at Xmas to join me in my fishing forays!

Cheerio

Roberta