Portable Alarm For Trailerboat

warnie

Hi all...

With so much good information and sound advise of late

and particularly with the holiday season fast approaching i thought i would mention it can become a concern when a lot of

us with trailer boats including myself find themselves self travelling and staying at accomodation

up or down the coast were you are fishing.....

i was put on to a handy item quite a while ago called a mini pir alarm...

which is simply a motion activated detector and built in alarm which comes complete with two remote control units

I simply place the alarm in the cockpit of the boat and arm it from the place were im staying and at least

when i go to sleep i can be comforted with the fact that if anyone is to set one foot in the back of the boat

she goes off and alerts you of the fact.....of cause most items..... rods and reels and such go in the house were your

staying but as such there is allways some thing whether it be it a sounder gps radio etc which stays

in the boat and could well be vandilised out of the boat....at $39.98 its certainally worth the outlay for a bit of

security and confidence in the fact when maybe you just cant get the boat far enough up the driveway or quite close enough

to house that your staying in..........

just remember to disalarm it before getting in the boat in the early morning when you go fishing or the whole neighbourhood will know about it....it may not be to every ones liking but i never leave the boat

anywere overnight without it...bar home...even when i sleep on the boat in the cabin.......

Cheers Warnie....

that sounds like somthing id be interested in, where can i get one mate.

you will be happy with it a bit more info

.beam detects movement to 7 mtrs

.130db alarm

.alarm resets 30 seconds

.30 second exit delay

.4 second entry delaly

.low battery indicator

not sure how it would go in the rain so try and keep reasonbly covered

i got mine at POWERHOUSE.......

Warnie........

Ungry

would it work under a boat cover or could that flapping set it off?

achjimmy........

to the best of my knowledge..flapping items do not set it off....

it is a passive infrared beam.... i think thats body heat and the like???

i have had plenty of dangly things. outrigger line's flags t shirt's

towels hanging on the rocket launcher to dry etc with no activation....

the only thing to set it off once...... was a cat that deadset must of jumped 10 feet vertical when it went off

clearing the cabin in one bound and was last seen sprinting down the road heading for sydney

minus its fur.........

Warnie......

the only thing to set it off once...... was a cat that deadset must of jumped 10 feet vertical when it went off

clearing the cabin in one bound and was last seen sprinting down the road heading for sydney

minus its fur.........

Warnie......

LOL and i would have no problems with that either. Might give one a go as I am going to a van park in Laurieton at Xmas.

thx

Also Write yourself a big note that you have to Trip Over on the way out the door or sure as eggs, you'll forget to turn it off & not only wake up the whole neighbourhood at 4am ..... also scare the hell out of you! You may then even need to change your pants! :(

Roberta

Hi Warnie

any idea how far away from the boat the remote units will work?

Cheers

Hi beaver...

direct line of sight 50 mtrs comfortably.....

and yes roberta....i have or more correctly some of the crew have

scared the living be-jusus out of them selves once or twice thats for sure...

Letter to self.....dont forget to turn off alarm...

Cheers Warnie.......

Hi beaver...

direct line of sight 50 mtrs comfortably.....

and yes roberta....i have or more correctly some of the crew have

scared the living be-jusus out of them selves once or twice thats for sure...

Letter to self.....dont forget to turn off alarm...

Cheers Warnie.......

Thanks mate, might check em out, good idea.

Hi

Went to powerhouse they dont do any 12v alarms at all any more, might try Dick Smith

Jim...

i actually bought one for another boat yesterday from powerhouse in penrith it actually was

in dick smith packaging...... and was also the last one on that shelf....

its doesn't run on 12volt though it runs on 4 AA batteries i got it at the home security section

the item code is L7228...

hope that helps jim...

Warnie.......

Jim...

i actually bought one for another boat yesterday from powerhouse in penrith it actually was

in dick smith packaging...... and was also the last one on that shelf....

its doesn't run on 12volt though it runs on 4 AA batteries i got it at the home security section

the item code is L7228...

hope that helps jim...

Warnie.......

Warnie

Helped heaps thanks, Powerhouse Penrith has sold out. Got one at another store put away till i pick it up.

Cheers

Hi guys

Check this one out too - 120db scream if the wire is cut. Available in different cable lengths

http://www.lockalarm.com/lockalarmcablelo.html

Great for securing yaks to roof racks (thru scupper hole & roof rack), & other loose stuff, so long as it has a hole thru which it can be thread. Just lock it & forget it!

Cheers

Roberta

Also - has everyone got a locking Hayes/reese pin, so that the entire tow ball can't be removed from their vehicle ...... especially when your pride & joy is on it? Amazing how many people have locks for the ball of the trailer so it can't be opened, but anyone with the same fitting on their car for the tow ball can just undo the pin & put the whole rig onto their vehicle .... Including your boat & drive off! Most have a fold-down wheel to make it nice & easy to just move across to their vehicle!

Edited by Roberta

Hi Johhno

From memory, mine was about $30 from an auto parts shop. Cheaper than some lures!

Cheap insurance, I call it - put it this way - if you have a locking pin on, they will move on to the next vehicle that doesn't have one on ..... a bit obvious trying to cut thru very strong S/S & it would take while, too!!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

A tip on the DSE Alarm. I opened my alarm up, pretty simple 3 screws. The PCB (printed circuit board) is not coated so long time expsoure to the salt/water air will corrode the joints. I am going to mask the sensor and siren and buy a tin of conformal coating spray from RS components or maybe Jaycar and spray the board. This will also help CD players etc that are not designed for marine use. Electronic manufacturers comonly conformal coat any boards that will be exposed to mositure, Most automotive/marine electronics will be coated at time of manufacture