Single Barb Hooks On Lures

arpie

Hi guys

a buddy has been experimenting with single hooks on his hb lures instead of using the trebles that come with the lures & reckons his hookup rate on lure fishing has increased dramatically & with less damage to the fish, should you want to catch & release.

You also catch less weed!

He rekcons the hooks with the eye running parallel to the shaft is better to use than the other hooks.

Has anyone else tried it? In NZ (where it is illegal to target trout with trebles, they use singles all the time - on tassie devils, spoons, spinners etc.)

I am just adjusting some lures now to try this afternoon ..... just a matter of whether I use them, or stick to the blackies ..... :1prop: time will tell.

Cheers

Roberta

I am being lazy on some of them, & just cutting off 2 of the offending barbs! Wasteful, I know, but a lot quicker!!

Roberta,

singles work extremely well, everyone I know who trolls tassies always run a single as they worked out you catch more fish, also some of the new Jap lures such as Jacksons have a single on the end.

If you want you could go to a double hook with the points facing up that way your lure will go over most snags without getting hooked up.

A few of my bass fishing mates cut the middle point out of their jackels so they dont snag up and one of them took out a heap of prizes last weekend down south in a bass comp

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

i use heavy metals (80 to 120 grms) of the stones for toothey critters .. how would single or double hooks work for for me .. i do crush the barb down on my trebbles.. and with fish that jump and throw there head around it sure makes for interesting fishing....bob

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies - I went for a paddle in a very blustery wind yesterday pm & managed a few casts with hb lures that I had 'doctored the hook' to make it into a single ;) and on my second cast, tightened up onto a small throwback bream on the flesh coloured Raw Prawn! Hooked another throwback a short time after!

So, they definitely work - may have to add that bit of weight back to it, tho, as it used to be suspending & is now a 'slowly rising'!

Cheerio

Roberta