South Coast Flatties

WINDON

post-6037-1195733759_thumb.jpgpost-6037-1195733819_thumb.jpgpost-6037-1195733810_thumb.jpgpost-6037-1195733799_thumb.jpgpost-6037-1195733785_thumb.jpgpost-6037-1195733774_thumb.jpgThe last month and a half over about 7 random afternoons, my mate and I have been braining the flathead.We have accounted for over 150 fish with the smallest at 9cm and the best at 87cm.We have tracked the fish over the spawn noticing they have moved around the system quite a lot depending on the bait,water flow and structure. All fish where caught on plastics and released unharmed especially the big puppies-something beautiful about releasing them.I have fished this system 23 years and this has been the first year I have consistently caught fish over 70cm,two in our last session.It shows closing systems to professionals is paying off and will continue with sensible fishing from us amateurs. Edited by WINDON

How fat is that fish!! :1yikes::1yikes: Looks like its swallowed a footy :074:

Have to agree with the others ... this year has been a bumper year for BIG Flathead. And I reckon Ceph has nailed it in one ... Go Plastics!!!

Congrats on a great fish, mate.

Hodgey

yes it may have something to do with plastics, but in reality SP's have been super popular since atleast 2001 and this has so far been the easiest year to consistently get good fish in the harbour. I 100% put that down to the pro's been eliminated from the equation. When you think about it they used to hit areas like rose bay pretty hard from my understanding, and lets say they take 1 tonne of fish over 2 weeks.... thats an enormous number of flathead left over in the system every fortnight!!

Good work on the fish thought! Your definately braining them!!

The most consistant plastic is the Gulp turtle back.We have caught them on 65mm & 100mm shads & fish,pro worms,Gulp stick baits,hard bodies and Gulp worms.You cover more water with plastics but the fish can also be shy at times.Patience and persisence

I did find a dead 90cm fish that had been in the water for a while,quite sad!post-6037-1195821001_thumb.jpgpost-6037-1195821021_thumb.jpg