Best Sp For Flathead

the elk

I am just starting to get into the whole SP thing - it's a whole new ball game and has opened up my eyes to the wonders of the humble Made in China but Ohhh So effective Soft Plastic. I have had some success with the Squidgy Fish black gold when targeting flatties, but keen to hear what other Fishraiders prefer when targeting this species.

Go the Plastics. Who said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

This is the first time I have used the Fishraider chat room so I hope I'm doing this right. I've been flicking plastics for a while and I have had varying degrees of success with the Gulp 3'' minnow in Pumpkinseed and the Squidgy Alvin Purples seem to work (but I dont think they make the Alvin Purples anymore). By the way I'll take any advice people give me on the fine art of SP fishing.

Edited by Seafarer

I love the 3" and 4" power minnow in pearl watermelon colour,

I have to agree there,although my flattie spinning with sp's is still in its early stages have tried out fair few different types/brands.So far have had most success with 3" power minnows in pearl blue color.

Stephen

:1fishing1:

ive had most success on gulp pogys, gulp shrimp (natural), and squidgies in the killer tomato. but recently ive been working the power minnows in the bloodworm to "kill two birds with one stone" as they put it. (bream and flathead!)

Cheers

I'm a Squidgey wriggler man too but in the 140mm which they have just stopped making so now back down the 120mm in Bloodworm, Gary Gliter and Siver fox too...the bigger the size means we never catch anything under legal (not that we keep them anyway)...we bagged a 91cm lizard down on the south coast on Bloodworm on the weekend will post with pics later in the week.

black gold, gary glitter & silver fox. all 65-80mm fish. funny i have never caught a flattie witht the same colours in wriggler or shad :wacko:

i find you have to fish them with a different action... the shads i just mooch along the bottom with pauses but the fish and wrigglers i try and use a lot more rodwork to actively swim them into, over and around weedbeds etc....

everyone has a different hot lure, but if you cannot get it to swim properly , it will be useless...action is king

i can't catch fish on gulp minnows for example, but i have a packet of p/seed ones always because they get my inexperienced mates fish all the time...

most of the lures and colours mentioned have featured in my box at some stage of the last two years, and last year i got sick of buying lures until i used em all and they all got eaten at some time or another. any of these will catch fish

ian

Gulp turtleback worm in pumpkingreen or pumpkinseed

I have only just started using the turtle back worms, but I am having difficulty hooking up. I was getting hits as soon as they hit the water last week but struggled to land any on them, most times the lure was demolished. I tried cutting them down but still no luck. Does any one have any tips?

From reading this post, it seems that the humble Flattie will snap at almost anything.. :icon_peace:

We have been fishing with four in the boat and each person has had on a different lure and colour and we all catch fish. The common denominator is the imparting of the correct action. This is the key. Flathead Fanatic has hit the nail on the head. Without the correct action, any lure is useless. :1wallbash:

My personal preference is the Squidgy fish patterns in the sparkle. The Gulp Pogy is also a fine Flattie plastic. :biggrin2:

Edited by Ceph

i always start with a 85mm curl tail fish.. colour black ghost... brand name is Softies in a pink packet. I use these in the Botany Bay with a 9 gram 2/0 jig. they last longer than squidgies especially when there are taylor around.

i have only ever seen these S/P at a tackle store in Auburn.... :biggrin2: