New Jewfish Setup Options - Advice Needed

nik

Hi Raiders,

I’m looking at getting into some jewfish fishing as I’ve recently seen a few get caught and want to have a go myself. I’m looking at getting a setup and have done some research and spoken to a few tackle shops and wanted your opinions on what would work best.

I mainly plan to fish beach, wharfs, rocks and wanted something reliable to get me started.

From speaking to a few people I’ve been told that Shimano and Okuma are good selections for reels and the Penn, Uglysticks and Pflueger are the way to go for rods.

The Baitrunner 6500 with the Uglystick looks good ($335) but will the Powerspin with the Okuma Avenger ($175) be much different in performance?

Is there another combo from the rods/reels below that would work well? Or are there other brands that you would recommend that I haven’t mentioned, keeping in mind that I would like to keep the max cost at $350 (the cheaper the better though).

Here are my current options,

Reels:

Shimano Baitrunner 6500 @ $220

Okuma Avenger ABF80 @ $120

Okuma Eclipz Baitfeeder EC65 (I think) @ $180

Okuma Epix Baitfeeder EB80 @ $200

Rods:

Uglystick USP-GB1202: Surf 3.60/12’0”, 8-12kg, medium heavy action, 2 piece @ $115

Penn Powerspin 1202SU: 12’ Medium action 5 -10 kg @ $55

Penn Powerstick PPS1202SF: 12’ Medium action 5 – 10 kg @ $100

Any advice from experienced fishermen (and women) would be greatly appreciated, especially from any Jewfish experts.

Nik

hi nic

get a 8144 rod and a 6 1/2 alvey loaded with 25lb torture line perfect for casting big baits for jew

peter :1fishing1:

I'm also with luderick 59 on buying a 650 star drag Alvey Nik . I reckon every jew fisherman should have at least one Alvey for beach fishing and for the boat.

I've always like the right ugly stiks for the jew .

Cheers and good luck with it Nik

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Nic

I mainly fish from boats for Jewies and I would strongly recommend a Shimano Baitrunner 6500c and a Wilson 7 foot 8 -15 kg 7ft live fibre Texalium. Both are tough and with proper care will last a long time. I have caught big rays and sharks to 35kg and both have held up very well. I have seen Jews up to 34kg taken on this exact gear. The texies have eight eyes and are very powerfull rods and are made in Australia.

I know of two instances where Okumas have broken down on first runs.

I learned the hard way and lost some good fish buy using sub standard equipment. I wish I had bought good gear from the start.

Speak to Pete or Shaun at Gofish - you will be looking at +-$600.00 rod and reel and braid.

For the surf you will need a longer rod - beach Jew fishos can help you there.

cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

hi nic

for versatility the jewy special is the go...

post-2219-1196854635_thumb.jpg

alvey 651 star drag... these are vertually indestructable and the best for rock or beach as you can easily wash sand out and continue without any dramas..

hold plenty of line and give great chinese burns on palms when hooking big fish :1prop: .....

as for the rod if from beach just make sure its long enough and the ones mentioned should be good.....

i have a 650 model for over 15yrs and still in excellent condition and pulled some real big sharks an jew with it.. i have a big soft spot for alveys though as i grew up fishing the dark art (blackfish) and jew nearly every weekend and didnt own an eggbeater till much later in life.....

hope this helps.....

Edited by roosterman

Nik - go the baitrunner 6500.

It's the best jewie reel you can buy - and it is ridiculously cheap for the quality that you are getting. I wouldn't recomnmend an Alvey - they're difficult to cast, burn and bruise your hands when you're fighting the fish, and have no gear ratio to assist in the long fights. Most people who use Alveys do so for historical reasons and not because they're the best reel on the market today for a new jewie fisherman (although they are still the best value for under $100).

The rod you use will be dictated by whether you're in a boat or land-based. Land-based you should go any rod built on an 8144 blank as per Peter's advice, boat based then look at the Wilson livefibres in 7-8ft.

For jewfish fishing you just can't go past an Alvey, yeah you do need a little bit of practice but find an oval and within an after noon with a bit of thought you will master it!! For that bit of effort you will reap the benefits which are greater casting distances by a long shot, more metres by far on the spool and you can buy the one with the star drag so you don't have to bruise or cut your hand and reel in your fish just as if your using an eggbeater. I have alot of eggbeaters but I never use them for beach fishing no way!! get yourself an Alvey and I'm sure you will curse my name for a short while but once converted you'll never use an eggbeater on a beach again!!

Cheers

Edited by Dorado 2

:dito:

Alvey's are a must have reel for boat, beach and rock situations as far as I am concerned, and for deepwater places instead of using overheads.

Alvey's are the most often used reel for large species in deepwater coastal areas and especially for rock platforms and ledges in coastal areas similiar to Hathead.

My Penn 8500's and 9500's are of shark reel abilty compared to my Shimano 6500 baitrunners and the Penns are well up to the Alvey task all the same.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

alveys are great for the beach. as sand is no issue with these reels.

i would not like to drop my shimano bait runner in the sand though!

i currently own a couple of okuma bait runners (as they are cheaper than shimano)....but they are crap compaired wih shimano bait runners.

im not an alvey fan! but if you mainly fish on the sand i say got the alvey.

i would much rather a shimano bait runner... but sand and baitrunners dont mix!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great information.

How do you find out if a rod is built on a 8144 blanks? or are all 8144 rods custom made.

I think for now I might go with the Shimano bait runner 6500 and use this more as an allrounder and then look at getting an alvey in the near future (you can never have too much fishinig gear).

Again, thanks for all the comments

Nik

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great information.

How do you find out if a rod is built on a 8144 blanks? or are all 8144 rods custom made.

I think for now I might go with the Shimano bait runner 6500 and use this more as an allrounder and then look at getting an alvey in the near future (you can never have too much fishinig gear).

Again, thanks for all the comments

Nik

Look at the Penn SS or Slammer series. They metal NOT plastic like SHimano. Will outlast 10 of them. Stronger too.

Alveys went out with the ark.

I've spun for Jewies (Butters) and Barra off beaches all over the world. with my ABU 9000 Reds.for over 40 yrs. Never had a problem. Same with my big side roller Mitchels.

Nowadays . use Penn 8500 too. Can't kill them..I always used the 5120 series rods too. 10 ft 6 in. Will lob a 4 or 6 oz bait, as far as you can. Bit longer prefered with egg Beaters.

See Ya

Macka17

[

Edited by macka17