Harbour Kingfish 21st

amkulic

Hi everyone,

This is my first official report....i've been saving it for when I actually catch something

I went off today in serch of my first kingfish along with a friend on his boat. After launching at Tunks at about 5am we headed to the Spit to try for squid. In about 45min of trying we ended up with one arrow (my first squid :1prop: ) Then we decided to get some more fresh bait to headed to Balmoral where we quickly got a dozen yakkas in a couple of minutes.

We then hit some of the markers in main harbour and Clifton Gardens. Nothing happening....all seemed a bit quiet? We then went for a while off the jetty at Clifton where we got another southern squid (lots around but they just wouldnt take the jig....very frustrating!) So nothing much happening in main harbour for us so we headed into a spot in middle harbour.

Sat there for about an hour when we had a good run which quickly got busted off, then 15min later another which was landed. It was a 62cm kingfish, just under so it was thrown back. fter that had another go and headed back to boat ramp. Very successful day for our standards and looks promising for the next trip out.

post-256-1198230287_thumb.jpg

The most interesting thing is that both kings were caught on strips of bought frozen tubes of calamari from the local seafood shop. The yakkas and the few fresh squid strips we used werent touched :wacko:

Cheers

Edited by swordfisherman

Good first report,you put in a solid effort getting the fresh bait but its a pity no legal kings around

& turning there noses up at live baits to take frozen fish shop squid,well that's unbelieveable.

But that's kingy's for ya,just don't know from day to day what mood there in.

Well done mate!

steve

Yep well done mate. I can still remember catching my first one - it was in middle harbour too. Yeah that Kingy looks real fat alright. This time last year he probably would have been destined for the table after that is you say, 'eating the calamari tube!'. Good thing those legal lengths have changed, I say, because now you can catch him again when he's even fatter.

The most interesting thing is that both kings were caught on strips of bought frozen tubes of calamari from the local seafood shop. The yakkas and the few fresh squid strips we used werent touched :wacko:

Cheers

Ha ha, thats kings for ya. I hear that they cannot read and don't watch no no no DVD's so they don't know that they should only touch the fresh stuff. Ignorant, illiterate children.

WELL DONE ANDREW :thumbup::biggrin2::yahoo:

Out of interest mate how many bustoffs did it take to you to bag your first? :tease:

Dan

PS Ever figure out the line strength of your trace?

:Funny-Post:

Well it was about 5 bust offs Dan....but I knew it was only a matter of time

I never did find the strength.....its been disposed of and replaced though :biggrin2:

Well done Andrew!!

New you would crack a couple squid if you kept at it. Now that you have a squid notched up you will know the feeling when there tugging on your line and things should get even better for you.

Glad you got your kingy mate, had you been in the boat I saw you at Clifton in that 62cm specimen would have pulled you all over middle harbor.

I found the kings frustrating today, we could entice them to the surface with poppers but they would take any of the baits we chucked out from metal slugs, big squidgys, soft plastics, fresh and frozen suid and even pillies!! I guess there just not hungry.

Will have to get our for a fish soon mate.

Cheers

Dan