Battery Maintenance

tryhard

It's that time of year when we are all looking at getting out on the water during the Chrissy Break.

I decided that seeing as the boat has been sitting still for probably 2 months, I should whack the battery on Charge.

I noted that after 3 days, it had still not taken a full charge - I took the charger off & pulled the caps off to check the cells.

I found that 2 of the cells had the water levels below the plates.

My question is .....how far over the top of the plates is the right level ?

this is a newish battery (6months) & I was a little surprised to find the cells so low on water - is this common ?

If I sound like I dont know what I'm talking about, I'll reassure the experts that I do know to use demineralised water & not the scum from the top of the fish pond !!!!!!!!!!

Ho Ho Ho

Whoops - sorry I forgot that santa cant say that any more

He He He - (gawd! I think I'll stick to being Politically incorrect thanks all the same)

Hey tryhard,

Use distilled water to fill each cell so it is over the plate but not enough that it may spill if knocked or when filling.

So as much as possible is best.

Hope this helps

Elliot

P.S. Make sure you use distilled or pure water

Hey tryhard,

Use distilled water to fill each cell so it is over the plate but not enough that it may spill if knocked or when filling.

So as much as possible is best.

Hope this helps

Elliot

P.S. Make sure you use distilled or pure water

Thanks ETTY,

I do know to use distilled or demineralised water, but I'm reasonably sure that the water should only just cover the plates.

I put the charger back on yeasterday and I note the things still charging - I think that thats really strange as it normally tops up in 24 hours.

I hope its not buggered as it is probably only 6 months old !

G'day Tryhard ,

The electrolyte level should be 10 - 12 mm above the tops of the plates , I would top up the 2 dry cells , and start charging. When charged , top off all cells to the required level. When you say it is still charging , is the charger still pushing in a couple of Amps , or is it still "trickle" charging? If the former , the battery may well be stuffed , have you measured the voltage , or tried a load test ?

Ross

you can still buy acid in a bottle from them, but they only sell it with drycell battery's..You can also buy the inox brand of battery conditioner..I put it in my marine battery 4 years ago only because it came free with the battery, and its still going strong to this day.

thanks all for your responses.

I have not done a load test or measured the voltage - I'll do that today.

I have a basic type of charger from the big 'K' so I dont know if its trickle charging or otherwise but it has served me well for the past 7 - 8 years

I sure hope The battery's not stuffed after 6 months !!!!!!!

I never leave it in the boat and normally charge it after each time Ive been out but got lazy last outing.

I'll double check the water levels again this morning and see how we go

Hope Santa looked after you all - Merry Christmas

• 2 months later...