Why Does My Boat Swing!

Little Hooker

Hey raiders,

im kinda new to boating and this sence but ive had a issue with my boat for awhile now and its really gettin to me.

Most times i drop a anchor to fish my boat seems to swing left to right , right to left. Is this normal ???

Am i lettin out to much or not enough line??

Or is it my design of the boat where the cabin acts like a sail so the winds pushes it around?

I have a aluminum 5.3 half cabin boat with 4meter of chain with a plow anchor.

Would a sea anchor help stop this swing?? Tho i really dont want to have one as i fish alot and wouldnt want any tangles from it.

Any advice would be lovely..

Edited by Little Hooker

It's not uncommon for a boat to move around especially if the wind is from one direction & the current is from another.

The only way to stop the boat from swinging is to have an anchor both at the front & out the back.

Generaslly speaking , a bit of swing does not make any difference to the fishing

Geoff

Guest Big-Banana

Generaslly speaking , a bit of swing does not make any difference to the fishing

Geoff

Disagree there, we generally fish with one anchor and then a drogue on the back and with that setup we usually keep side on to the current allowing us to set more lines.

A spot we fish off Terrigal is one where you'll catch fish if its blowing NW but as soon as the NE swings us around you won't catch anything because you've drifted off your mark.

try a little less rope mate.

the more rope you have out the more you will swing as you arent as direct on the anchor.

basically drop the anchor and get enough rope to get to the bottom and secure your boat. then try 2 or 3 handfuls of rope extra.

certain conditions will require more rope out etc. you will learn this over time with experience.

just be careful sometimes on a short amount of rope you are more prone to pull anchor. so keep an eye out.

Col

hey col,

I give that a try next time when she is movin around. thanks for the tip

I use a electric anchor winch so i tend to jus let out line to what i think is right. Ive read that i should let out 3 or 2 times the lenght of the rope to the depth of the water your anchoring in???

I was thinkin to measure my anchor rope and mark it every 5meters so gives me a indication on how much rope is let out.

Disagree there, we generally fish with one anchor and then a drogue on the back and with that setup we usually keep side on to the current allowing us to set more lines.

A spot we fish off Terrigal is one where you'll catch fish if its blowing NW but as soon as the NE swings us around you won't catch anything because you've drifted off your mark.

what's a drogue?

what's a drogue?

its like a little parachute sea anchor... like the the little one that goes out before the main chute

when skydiving..only underwater of course.. sits on or near the suface!..

..cheers!..stevo!..

Edited by fishguts

Canies,

My motor is down in the water but i have notices that my motor doesnt sit in the middle, the current normally pushes it to the left of right.

I do try and keep the motor centered but sometimes the water is to strong and pushes it left or right.

Edited by Little Hooker

Canies,

My motor is down in the water but i have notices that my motor doesnt sit in the middle, the current normally pushes it to the left of right.

I do try and keep the motor centered but sometimes the water is to strong and pushes it left or right.

if the current is moving your outboard on your 5.3 half cabin boat left and right, then you have bigger problems. this should not be happening!

check it out.. you must be bumping the steering wheel in your travels or you have other dramas

note the current doesnt make you swing the wind does or when there not working together

all good suggestions above just thought id throw in the engine one also

Edited by CaineS

In this case how tight are the steering cables on a outboard motor?? If usin the steering wheel should it feel abit tight or jus loose when in the water??

Im goin for my 100hr service soon i might tell them to check it out.

different on different set ups. but i have never seen a largish engine that can be knocked around by the current.

your boat will always swing when its windy but sorting this out might make it a little bit better

Remember... if it doesn't swing, it doesn't mean a thing! Seriously, one thing i do when im stopped and fishing, either drifting or anchored, is i put the engine in gear so that the prop doesn't spin in the current. Lost a bugger load of fireline around a prop not all that long ago - once it catches, it will wind as much as it can onto itself, the smart-arse...