Middle Harbour Jewfish

zen801

Hi Raiders,

After witnessing Carlos 25 kg monster i was keen to get amongst them.

Collected yakkas and hit my favourite spot.

It was about mid tide and he took a live yakka.

Had one more hit and miss.

Got dinner so thought its time to get bloody over a few beers and tempura chunks of jewie.

Cheers all and merry holidays.

Sorry about the funny face but i asked my daughter to take the photo and she was squealing with disgust at the site of the fish.

post-2060-1198735888_thumb.jpg

Hi Raiders,

After witnessing Carlos 25 kg monster i was keen to get amongst them.

Collected yakkas and hit my favourite spot.

It was about mid tide and he took a live yakka.

Had one more hit and miss.

Got dinner so thought its time to get bloody over a few beers and tempura chunks of jewie.

Cheers all and merry holidays.

Sorry about the funny face but i asked my daughter to take the photo and she was squealing with disgust at the site of the fish.

Well done Mike, the 'hole' produces again. Did you give him a measure?

BTW, merry Xmas and happy new year to you and your family mate!

Louis

Thanks Marcel,

Mate your absolutely right.

When it comes to catching jewies you will have plenty of trips and no fish.

But you will catch one eventually if you get out there. The first is always the hardest - it was for me.

Each time you get one you get a little bit smarter.

Mate i really want to crack one over 10kg this year.

I have been saving up all my jewels from previous catches and am looking for a kangaroo scrotum to keep them in. I will then do the zenman ceremonial throwing of the jewels prior to heading out for a fish. :1prop:

Gotta read the signs if you want results.

The fish went 75cm. I am gonna back up tomorrow for more as they are out there!

Cheers

Hey Luderick 59,

That is a nice collection of jewels there.

I didnt keep the first few that i caught and have released a few as well but my collection is getting there ATM.

I note a few big ones in the foreground. What size jew did the biggest jewels come from?

Finished last of the jewie last night with chips and beer - very nice. :beersmile:

Went out yesterday but it was total mayhem in MH. Boats everywhere and a bit windy.

[the big jewels are from my pb jewy it was 64lb caught in the corner of fishermans beach near the post in front of cleaning tabels in rough weather 6to 8ft shore break and hardly any beach left

iwas using a 9144 rod abu 7000 2olb mono 3oz snapper lead 20lb trace 2ganged 3/0 fresh slimey fillet for bait

jewfish and chips , and a beer sounds good :biggrin2:

peter :1fishing1:

[hi planton

how do i tell its age by the earbones?

peter :1fishing1:

The oteliths of fish have growth rings, identical to those seen in horizontal cuttings of tree trunks. Each year is depicted by a new ring. I was involved with a Fisheries project where we were estimating the average age of a population of Carp in upper reaches of the Hakesbury. The rings were visible to the naked eye with Carp although, as I understand, some species require a magnifying glass or microscope in order to count the rings.

Brett