Clifton Gardens

joshg_888

Hey guys

Went down to Clifton Gardens off the jetty a couple days ago really early and got a few live yakkas into the eski ready for dawn..

Once the sun started hitting the water Kingys were smashing bait schools everywhere

but would not take the live yakkas at all..Lots of surface action for the next 2-3 hours

Caught a decent size squid and threw it out whole straight away but nothing

Tried lures and everything to see if i could get them on the bite but they just werent interested..

Guess it was just one of those days but we did manage a nice bream and the squid was pretty big..

No pics this time as i left the camera at home

Might head there over the weekend again n try my luck

Josh

hey mate, was this on boxing day? Coz i think i was fishing right next to you.. we had caught a flatty and a few other fish

Yeah it was..i was there early this morning too and barely any surface action happening at all lol

Managed 3 squid and a fair few yakkas but the kingies were abit quiet..?

I've heard the same things happening to my work buds there. They managed two on stick baits but the kings were generally small and not interested in 'commonly used' baits. Would have been exciting to see at least!

how do you catch live whitebait? :1naughty:

Hi all

The old method of casting chrome lures like the half by quarters, and cranked at high speed through the schools of whitebait might get results. When i lived on the northern beaches I fished the ovens and Broken Bay ,this method accounted for a lot of Kings and other pelagics ( match the hatch) . These fish are aggressive and compete for there food so the faster the retrieve the better :thumbup::thumbup:

Kilacarp

Hi all

The old method of casting chrome lures like the half by quarters, and cranked at high speed through the schools of whitebait might get results. When i lived on the northern beaches I fished the ovens and Broken Bay ,this method accounted for a lot of Kings and other pelagics ( match the hatch) . These fish are aggressive and compete for there food so the faster the retrieve the better :thumbup::thumbup:

Kilacarp

I agree kilacarp, If the fish are fussy and are only into what their eating you have to match the hatch. Catching those whitebait is just not on the cards...unless you have a net or catch a kingy and have him ralph them up. The the old school method of spinning chrome slices or metal slugs nearly never fails if you can cast into or around the baitfish action.