Lures For Kings And Other Pelagics

RPL

What lures are working atm for Kings , bonnies and other pelagic, i plan on trolling some lures around Jibbon and Bate bay.

I was also just wondering what i could do in terms of gear to try and eliminate line twist.

Thanks

Hi RPL,

That is an awfully wide question as difference lures are designed for different fish and for working at different speeds. I tend to choose my lures based on what speed I wish to travel at (eg: if travelling offshore from spot to spot I may troll a christmass tree or pinksquid as I can run those lures at 15kts, if tolling the headlands for bonnies I may troll a Rapala CD7 at 8kts and if chasing kings in the washes may skip a stick bait in the propwash at 3-5kts) and then on the type of fish I expect.

I usually put out a spread of different lures (just make sure they are all suited to the speed you are intending to troll at).

Here is my guide to trolling speeds and lure selection, I am sure other raiders will correct any errors.

* Deep trolling live baits => 1-2kts

* Jigging squid stripps on leadline => 1-3kts

* Skipping soft stick baits => 3-5kts

* Metal wobblers etc => 2-7kts

* Softplastics with weighted jig head => 2-7kts

* Large flies => 3-8kts

* HB Minnows such as Rapala Magnums => 5-10kts

* Smiths Jigs => 3-8kts

* Chrismas Trees and pinksquids => 7-15kts

Perhaps one of the game boys can add the stats for small jet heads etc.

The newest trolling jaunt I have been having fun with is skipping a soft stick bait just to the back of the pressure wave created by the prop wash about 5-8 mtrs behind the boat. It is amazingly effective on kings who I think come up for a look at the boat. Plus the surface strikes are great. I find 3-5kts the best speed range, any slower and they sink and fasted they just bounce over the waves. Just make sure the stick bait does not spin, if it does bring it in a re-rig it until it runs straight. (PS: At higher speed a piunk squid or christmas tree in the prop wash is also wrth running when the striped tuna are around).

As to line twist, no trolling lure should spin, if it does it is not rigged properly or you are travelling too fast for that particular lure. The exception are the old metal wonder wobbler. pergon minnow and spoon parterns that are designed to spin and can be very effective on tailor and bonnies. If you wish to use these then root around in the oldest dustiest fishing tackle shop you can find for a small paravane that will allow the lure to spin without twisting the rest of the mainline. I can post a description of how to make one if you wish to fish this way.

Good luck,

Southerly

Hi Southerly,

I'll probably print your speed chart and have it on my dashboard! :biggrin2:

One guestion I'd like to ask if that's OK: what would be the right weight of a sinker to troll live bait (squid, etc) and for the jighead to skip stickbaits as you describe (never tried that but I think the idea is brilliant and I'll try it).

Thanks

Hi RPL,

That is an awfully wide question as difference lures are designed for different fish and for working at different speeds. I tend to choose my lures based on what speed I wish to travel at (eg: if travelling offshore from spot to spot I may troll a christmass tree or pinksquid as I can run those lures at 15kts, if tolling the headlands for bonnies I may troll a Rapala CD7 at 8kts and if chasing kings in the washes may skip a stick bait in the propwash at 3-5kts) and then on the type of fish I expect.

I usually put out a spread of different lures (just make sure they are all suited to the speed you are intending to troll at).

Here is my guide to trolling speeds and lure selection, I am sure other raiders will correct any errors.

* Deep trolling live baits => 1-2kts

* Jigging squid stripps on leadline => 1-3kts

* Skipping soft stick baits => 3-5kts

* Metal wobblers etc => 2-7kts

* Softplastics with weighted jig head => 2-7kts

* Large flies => 3-8kts

* HB Minnows such as Rapala Magnums => 5-10kts

* Smiths Jigs => 3-8kts

* Chrismas Trees and pinksquids => 7-15kts

Perhaps one of the game boys can add the stats for small jet heads etc.

The newest trolling jaunt I have been having fun with is skipping a soft stick bait just to the back of the pressure wave created by the prop wash about 5-8 mtrs behind the boat. It is amazingly effective on kings who I think come up for a look at the boat. Plus the surface strikes are great. I find 3-5kts the best speed range, any slower and they sink and fasted they just bounce over the waves. Just make sure the stick bait does not spin, if it does bring it in a re-rig it until it runs straight. (PS: At higher speed a piunk squid or christmas tree in the prop wash is also wrth running when the striped tuna are around).

As to line twist, no trolling lure should spin, if it does it is not rigged properly or you are travelling too fast for that particular lure. The exception are the old metal wonder wobbler. pergon minnow and spoon parterns that are designed to spin and can be very effective on tailor and bonnies. If you wish to use these then root around in the oldest dustiest fishing tackle shop you can find for a small paravane that will allow the lure to spin without twisting the rest of the mainline. I can post a description of how to make one if you wish to fish this way.

Good luck,

Southerly

Great post thanks mate, yea i was thinking stickbait as in like a 7.5 inch sluggo or something similar?

Maybe a stupid question but how would you troll a livie or something similar?

Thanks mate, im ignorant when it comes to trolling and things like that

Use a 4 ounce or a 6 ounce sinker when slow trolling live baits - it just gets them down a few metres. If trolling stick baits - then the sinker weight is less of an issue. 3/8 to 1/2 an ounce would be a start. You need to leave it light enough to have some action in the lure.

Poacher

Thanks. I suspected my sinkers are too light.

Use a 4 ounce or a 6 ounce sinker when slow trolling live baits - it just gets them down a few metres. If trolling stick baits - then the sinker weight is less of an issue. 3/8 to 1/2 an ounce would be a start. You need to leave it light enough to have some action in the lure.

Poacher