Intersted In A Career In Aquaculture.

RPL

Im interested in a career in aquaculture, mainly fish farming.

I was wondering if anyone has/had experience in this field and what should i expect, now i have looked for places where i can study and it seems that if i were to study i would have to move North to Townsville or South to Tasmania as im located in Sydney this wouldn't be ideal but if i have to i will, so my question is does anyone have any hints or tips in how i can hopefully break into the industry?

I have done some reading and there are Oyster farms at Towra point and i hear that there are fish farms there aswell but im yet to read about them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RPL

RPL,

Whilst I cant help you directly, have you contacted Dept of Primary Industries - they would probably be the 1st place I'd ask.

Good luck - I hope your successful, I reckon theres got to be a serious future in it.

Hi RPL

What a terrific area to work in, if you can. If I was starting out again ...... I wouldn't have ended up in Accounts Payable again, that is for sure!

Dave Wilson (fellow Fishraider member) is into aquaculture in NT. He has written about it a bit towards the bottom of this post (he even has a fish officially ... so to speak... named after him!)

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...194&hl=noel

Give him a yahoo & I reckon he'd be able to point you in the right direction re getting qualified etc.

Good luck

Roberta

hey RPL,

i have been looking into the same sorta field,

maybe have a look at southern cross uni at lismore,

or tafensw runs a Cert 4 in aquaculture up that way too..

little less far than tassie

i am thinking of doing a degree in environmental science up there next feb.

i've got the links somewhere if you need em pm me

cheers

ian

I'm currently studying at southern cross doing marine science, and it is a pretty decent uni. I believe UNE also has some courses available that are similar, but for my course we pretty much spend most of our time at the NMSC at coffs harbour. There are a few Sydney universities that do marine degrees as well, but certainly some of my classmates are hoping to get into aquaculture. PM me if you have questions.