Harbour 6/1/08

Yabbiehunter

Hi all

Headed out today to try my luck and get into some kings today, was a bit worried with all the news on the swell and so on and the weather report of showers, but decided to give it a go. so picked up my mate mick and headed down to Rose Bay, was greeted by rain and im my zombie state in the morning i left the prawns and pillies @ home so things were not looking the best and with the recent rains i knew squid were going to be a challenge but we persisted. went to my neverfail squid spot things looked bad......murky water squiding was slow, after multiple spots and a lot of time (2.5 hrs) we ended up with about 8 squid and 3 cuttles, not the best but still better than nothing...which is what i had for bait anyways. so drove around and sat @ the yellow marker, dropped a live cuttle placed the rod in the holder and tied the next rig....before i could tie the twin hook the other rod buckled over and we were on to a nice king after a nice little fight and some enjoyment things turn sour, when Mr King decides he like the look of our anchor rope moved again later to the wedding cake for ZERO then over to clifton for the same went for a drift near the entrance to Rose Bay saw another boat there cleaning a king overside that could not have been more than 50cm, just shook my head and wondered where the maritime where, went for a drift around there 4 Zero again, so i gave up on the kings and decided to try for some whiting near the shallows of rose bay, so setup for a drift between the boats mind you we were about 200m away from the boat ramp lot of small pinkies but nothing, Then my day changes, 1 of the last few remaining squid was already rigged so i threw it out behind the boat and to my surprise the rod buckles over and we are on. a nice fight with the fishing going straight down tells me this is a nice fish after a decent fight with the fish screaming of my 4kg drag i land this nice king of 77cm, Very impressed and shocked as at that time of day i was not fishing for kings BUT!!! ill take them anyway they come, after that tried for a few more drifts for nothing, called it a day and went home about 12pm, all in all 1 king 2 bustoffs but a good day, conditions were good on the water and i think the weather reports kept some people away.

p.s the reason i tried dropping a whole squid near the moored boat is because 2 weeks ago i saw a king on low tide swimming 1M away from the boat ramp !!!!!!, you can see in the photo how close we were to the boats (No secret spots here hehe)post-3509-1199604179_thumb.jpg

Cheers

YH

post-3509-1199604220_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Headed out today to try my luck and get into some kings today, was a bit worried with all the news on the swell and so on and the weather report of showers, but decided to give it a go. so picked up my mate mick and headed down to Rose Bay, was greeted by rain and im my zombie state in the morning i left the prawns and pillies @ home so things were not looking the best and with the recent rains i knew squid were going to be a challenge but we persisted. went to my neverfail squid spot things looked bad......murky water squiding was slow, after multiple spots and a lot of time (2.5 hrs) we ended up with about 8 squid and 3 cuttles, not the best but still better than nothing...which is what i had for bait anyways. so drove around and sat @ the yellow marker, dropped a live cuttle placed the rod in the holder and tied the next rig....before i could tie the twin hook the other rod buckled over and we were on to a nice king after a nice little fight and some enjoyment things turn sour, when Mr King decides he like the look of our anchor rope moved again later to the wedding cake for ZERO then over to clifton for the same went for a drift near the entrance to Rose Bay saw another boat there cleaning a king overside that could not have been more than 50cm, just shook my head and wondered where the maritime where, went for a drift around there 4 Zero again, so i gave up on the kings and decided to try for some whiting near the shallows of rose bay, so setup for a drift between the boats mind you we were about 200m away from the boat ramp lot of small pinkies but nothing, Then my day changes, 1 of the last few remaining squid was already rigged so i threw it out behind the boat and to my surprise the rod buckles over and we are on. a nice fight with the fishing going straight down tells me this is a nice fish after a decent fight with the fish screaming of my 4kg drag i land this nice king of 77cm, Very impressed and shocked as at that time of day i was not fishing for kings BUT!!! ill take them anyway they come, after that tried for a few more drifts for nothing, called it a day and went home about 12pm, all in all 1 king 2 bustoffs but a good day, conditions were good on the water and i think the weather reports kept some people away.

p.s the reason i tried dropping a whole squid near the moored boat is because 2 weeks ago i saw a king on low tide swimming 1M away from the boat ramp !!!!!!, you can see in the photo how close we were to the boats (No secret spots here hehe)post-3509-1199604179_thumb.jpg

Cheers

YH

A trip like that makes the hole day worthwhile... good on ya

well done on the king mate, did you cook it up?

Nah mate i dont eat fish............ ill fish everyday of my life if i could but i just dont eat them

Cheers

Good on ya mate... I'd have killed for one of those today.

Cheers

David.

How did you go today? getting the right bait was a killer today, you didnt do any good?

Nice kingy there mate,definately made up for a tough day out.

Well done!

it was such a negative day, im so glad it turned out the way it did

cheers,

cant wait till Wed to hit it again

How did you go today? getting the right bait was a killer today, you didnt do any good?

G'day.... we didn't get our intended target no.... despite all our livies we couldn't lose one to a king.

Obviously live / fresh squid was the go.... next time :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Good Morning Yabbiehunter,

I was also out there and man despite the overcasty clouds i got burnt to a lobster. However i always chase for kings but alway seem to catch Bream, Snapper and Flathead. Can i ask if you use a downrigger when fishing for Kings?

Nice Catch by the way!!!! :thumbup:

Good Morning Yabbiehunter,

I was also out there and man despite the overcasty clouds i got burnt to a lobster. However i always chase for kings but alway seem to catch Bream, Snapper and Flathead. Can i ask if you use a downrigger when fishing for Kings?

Nice Catch by the way!!!! :thumbup:

No downrigger for yesterday....saying that i got a scotty1050 installed but i dont use it much, i drifted with a small sinker just to let the bait sink, i have been trying to fish as light as possible when it comes to bait small or no sinker depending on where i fish, for the downrigger i have been having success @ the BLACK marker near the heads also in the morning @ the yellow marker seems good may i ask, what bait where you using?

i wish you luck

Cheers

Edited by Yabbiehunter

Hi all

Cheers

YH

nice work greg - the swell kept me well away from the rocks over the past week..ive been having some crazy thoughts about buying a boat after all this rough weather! couldnt fish the rocks not even once! :1wallbash::1wallbash: