Currarong

Black CC

I am heading down to Currarong next week and have rented a house on Currarong Creek. Does anyone know if I will be able to launch my 5m boat in the creek and head out to sea through the mouth. I have never been there before but can see there is a boat ramp in the creek. Any tips on spots for Kings around Currarond would also be very much appreciated. Happy to share my rather extensive knowledge of fishing in Western Australia if anyone is heading West.

I am heading down to Currarong next week and have rented a house on Currarong Creek. Does anyone know if I will be able to launch my 5m boat in the creek and head out to sea through the mouth. I have never been there before but can see there is a boat ramp in the creek. Any tips on spots for Kings around Currarond would also be very much appreciated. Happy to share my rather extensive knowledge of fishing in Western Australia if anyone is heading West.

Hi Black

I've seen the creek - and I would be very hesitant before launching a boat out to sea - but since I haven't actually tried it - I'll let some of the locals fill you in on possibilities.

Other ramps to try are:

1) Crookhaven Heads - great ramp about 20mins from where you are - exit to sea through Crookhaven river, though be careful as in NE wind/swell and low tide it can get hairy. Good access to Shoalhaven Bite and banks etc.

2) For access to JB, you can try Callala Bay ramp - a bit shallow during low tide. 15 mins from where you are.

3) Or try Murrays - though this is on other headland of JB - maybe 50mins from where you are (take forest road to princes hwy, then take JB turn off - a few km up.

have a blast - it's a great area.

Mike

If you ask around ,some of the locals have tractors for launching you straight off the hard sand and its pretty good like that.

Maybe a few bob slung their way or a carton :beersmile:

It's been a few years since going to Currarong but here is what I recall

There are 2 ramps , one in the creek the other is a beach ramp a few hundred mt's N/E of the creek entrance

The creek is empty at low tide. For a 5 mt boat the creek is possible but only about 1 hour each side of high tide & even then a challenge to navagate with a large boat.

The beach ramp can handle most size boats but whilst the sand is very hard has a shallow gradient & exposed the the N/E wind which tends to blow in around lunch time.

People launching 5 mt boats generally live there & use tractors to get the trailer far enough in when retreiving.

There was a make shift ramp at the creek entrance. This was accessed via the creek ramp but the sand is very soft & a challenge even for 4WD especially towing a 5mt boat

At the risk of placing a dampner on your holiday , Currarong ramps are not suited to 5mt boats.

So , what are the options.

I note the tides are high around midday next week so perhaps , launch at the beach & retreive at the creek.

Drive around to Callaha Bay (spelling??) & launch into Jervis Bay

Note . A lot of the Currarong area is Marine Park so suggest you check the M.P. web site for information.

As for the fishing location , "The Banks" (Sir John Young Banks shoal) is considered a good spot also the closer in bommies , see map , are worth a try.

As for bait fish , try the small rocky out crop which is near the word "beach" on Currarong Beach.

Currarong is a great spot , spent most of my youth down there & have many fond memories. Have a great week

post-731-1199766932_thumb.jpg

post-731-1199766997_thumb.jpg

Geoff

It's been a few years since going to Currarong but here is what I recall

There are 2 ramps , one in the creek the other is a beach ramp a few hundred mt's N/E of the creek entrance

The creek is empty at low tide. For a 5 mt boat the creek is possible but only about 1 hour each side of high tide & even then a challenge to navagate with a large boat.

The beach ramp can handle most size boats but whilst the sand is very hard has a shallow gradient & exposed the the N/E wind which tends to blow in around lunch time.

People launching 5 mt boats generally live there & use tractors to get the trailer far enough in when retreiving.

There was a make shift ramp at the creek entrance. This was accessed via the creek ramp but the sand is very soft & a challenge even for 4WD especially towing a 5mt boat

At the risk of placing a dampner on your holiday , Currarong ramps are not suited to 5mt boats.

So , what are the options.

I note the tides are high around midday next week so perhaps , launch at the beach & retreive at the creek.

Drive around to Callaha Bay (spelling??) & launch into Jervis Bay

Note . A lot of the Currarong area is Marine Park so suggest you check the M.P. web site for information.

As for the fishing location , "The Banks" (Sir John Young Banks shoal) is considered a good spot also the closer in bommies , see map , are worth a try.

As for bait fish , try the small rocky out crop which is near the word "beach" on Currarong Beach.

Currarong is a great spot , spent most of my youth down there & have many fond memories. Have a great week

post-731-1199766932_thumb.jpg

post-731-1199766997_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Very helpful Geoff, thanks. As the house I have rented has a dock I was hoping to just launch and leave it on the dock but that doesn't sound possible unless I make brief sorties around high tide. I do have a 4wd so I guess I will just have to assess it on each day.

Very helpful Geoff, thanks. As the house I have rented has a dock I was hoping to just launch and leave it on the dock but that doesn't sound possible unless I make brief sorties around high tide.

As I recall , the only places that have a dock are further up stream from the creek ramp , ie between the ramp & the bridge.

If this is the case then access , even at high tide , is very difficult as this section is full of ribbon weed.

There was a time back in the days of "putt putt" boats there was a chanel up the middle but I think this is now pretty much closed in

Keep in mind the creek is empty at low tide so the boat will high & dry . Perhaps not the best thing if it is a glass boat.

Don't be disillusioned by all this , it is just a matter of being aware & working around the enviorement to get the best outcome

Currarong is still one of the best spots on the south coast.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hi,

I launched my 4.75m stacer at the Currawong sand ramp last year, it was shallow at low tide when we launched, and there was little beach left at high when we retrieved but it was doable with a 4wd. Just a tip if you do jaunch from that ramp and the water is washing around your back tyres when retrieving reverse a little frist before going forward as this will stop your rear wheels sinking in the sand.

Otherwise use crookhaven heads ramp This is a bar crossing but not to bad most of the time.

Or if your fishing JB use Myola ramp into the creek as it as accessable at any Tide.

I wouldnt recommend Callala ramp as its nearly inaccesable at low tide and it gets so busy.

Just go and have a look at Currawong and see what you think.

There have been Kings to 20kg caught at the Banks this week on live slimeys.

Cheers

Luke