Mini Mako

xiphias_gladius

Went for a sesh with a mate after work Tuesday. Left Bellambi and headed to a few local FAD's hoping to catch a few Dollies. Hadn't been on the water for a while and with the sea's subsiding and the water temps. rising we were psyched!

Headed north to our bait spot and didn't take long to load up with heaps of perfect sized slimies... weather was OK about 10 knots out of the south and bugger all swell so after we had at least a dozen baits we headed out hoping to catch a few colouful friends.

Only Had 22°C at the FADS, but not detered we put a couple of baits out. Couldn't see any Dollies around but after only about 60 seconds one of the ratchets screams off. Struck the fish and came tight.... Woohoo we thought.. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: . takes a few short runs under some decent drag pressure and we are convinced we are into a solid Dolphin Fish. After a short tussle (and no jumps) the fish was boat side... A nice blue colour we could see, but it wasn't the spots on a Dolphin Fish but rather the cutest little Mako I have ever seen. Grabbed him by the tail and brought him on board for a few quick snaps before giving him a kiss and letting the little pup go... wish I had a fish tank big enough to keep him in... :byebye::byebye:

Suffice to say we didn't catch any Dolphin's on that FAD... but nor on the next. A little disapointing but I think we still need a couple more degrees in water temp. We fished Bandit reef 'till dark for zero's (but there was a heap of bait on it).

Back at the ramp we saw a few guys in a massive trailerable alloy cat who had trolled the Stanwell Park Canyons all day for a small 'fin (~12kgs) and a stripey.

Cheers

XG.

post-4418-1199956272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xiphias Gladius

Awesome little mako

you have got more guts then me i wouldn,t get that in the boat

looks like you are missing a finger on your right hand :biggrin2:

Well spotted on the pic..hehehehe :074:.., but I've still got four fingers and a thumb on my right hand... Well at the moment anyway. Mako's certainly are a handful at times and the cheeky little bugger even had a quick chew on the boat before he swam off after we released him!!!