Syd Harbour Kingy Captors

Penguin

Hi raiders,

I was sitting at home bored this arvo, when my 2 boys suggested we go for a fish.

So I call up my mate Bill who is over at my house within 30mins bait and berley in hand.

We were on the water and at a likely lookin fishy spot by 3pm and commenced fishing.

I had a good feeling, I told Bill as I cast in my 1st unweighted peeled prawn, and 1 min

into it zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz my baits off like a rocket, after a short tussle a nice King is pulled

on board, and he had a few followers in the water with him. A few mins later and another

reel sings zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, end result 2nd king landed, then zzzzzzzzzzzzzz there goes

another, result this time was a pulled hook. Anyway to cut a long story short, we had heaps

of fun fighting King after King for the next 3hrs. all Kings landed were between 59 and 70cm,

we got well and truly done a few times on some larger models that busted us up on 5.4kg

outfits, none of the heavier outfits even got a touch. We had 8 keeper size Kings landed, but

only 3 made it back home with us, and around a dozen smaller specimens caught were given

their freedom. The Kings were all caught on peeled prawns and pilly tails, prawns out fished

the pilly tails 3 to 1, and all Kings were hooked on sinker less rigs, except one that took a

bait off the bottom. My boys when they weren't fumbling around with the caught Kings were

catching a few pinkies and a couple of keeper Bream.

We had fun out there today, it was windy and rough, but the action was thick and fast, although

no monster Kings were landed we were still happy with our results, it sure beats sitting on

the couch bored out of ones mind.

penguin

some pics

post-1664-1200136569_thumb.jpg

post-1664-1200136612_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

Great stuff Penguin..The old peeled prawn sure is working for you.

Beats the hell out of spending hours loooking for squid eh.

Some nice specimens there and tasty too I bet.

Well done. Not many fish on the couch I hear.

Cheers,

Pete.

If you can fish like that every sesh Penguin, then give me a call to come down! I'll beat your mates 30min time frame by a good 15 minutes with burley AND paddle pops for the kids!

I love the second last pic, That would be the "check me and my big fish out" look!

(Ive been working on that look myself, but it doesnt quite cut it with my last catch of Wrasse)

Your training him early Penguin :thumbup:

Cheers,

Stumpy

Your training him early Penguin :thumbup:

Cheers,

Stumpy

Yes, early training is a must, however I cant get them to peel the prawns for me for

some reason just yet.

penguin

Well done. Not many fish on the couch I hear.

Cheers,

Pete.

I get some of my best fish on the couch Pete, I even hear the

sound of zzz zzz zzz zzz, when I hook up, however being

woken up b4 I can land him is such a disapointment. :1prop:

penguin

Edited by penguin

g'day guys i am a new member here.... Well done on the catch

was out there today and caught my first king, about 70cm.... awesome fish, ran a few times from the boat

caught a few really good flathead too......

We were on fresh prawns peeled.....

Question; What size hook for the kings and what is the best rig?

Cheers

Dave

Here I was bloody using the pillie to try to catch squid so I can catch a king. I must stop making life so complicated.

With a few squid in the tank all we got were two eels and a few other reef fish and a blue swimmer......bloody first time I caught eels in the harbour and hopefully the last. The way it was slowly mouthing the strip I was praying for a jewie.

In regard to rigs.......there are numerous ones...check in previous posts and there will be lots of info.

Edited by Niko

g'day guys i am a new member here.... Well done on the catch

was out there today and caught my first king, about 70cm.... awesome fish, ran a few times from the boat

caught a few really good flathead too......

We were on fresh prawns peeled.....

Question; What size hook for the kings and what is the best rig?

Cheers

Dave

:1welcomeani: to the site Dave, i dont think there is such a thing as a best rig for Kings,

it all depends on where, how and what they are feeding on that will determine best rig and

where to place it in the water column. But one of my favs is 2-4kg rod, 4000 size reel wrapped

in some 5.4-6kg mono, at the sharp end a size 2 baitholder hook, large peeled prawn or pilly

tail, 2ft of line to a small swivel attached to the main line and no sinker. I have used a tiny

split shot if the current is too strong, then keep feeding the bait down the berley trail.

Works for me but can be a bit of a bugger when that xos King jumps on.

penguin

:1welcomeani: to the site Dave, i dont think there is such a thing as a best rig for Kings,

it all depends on where, how and what they are feeding on that will determine best rig and

where to place it in the water column. But one of my favs is 2-4kg rod, 4000 size reel wrapped

in some 5.4-6kg mono, at the sharp end a size 2 baitholder hook, large peeled prawn or pilly

tail, 2ft of line to a small swivel attached to the main line and no sinker. I have used a tiny

split shot if the current is too strong, then keep feeding the bait down the berley trail.

Works for me but can be a bit of a bugger when that xos King jumps on.

penguin

thanks for the reply I am a bit of a noob to all of this.........

we wern't really chassing king fish, but I was using 14lb fireline mono, running sinker above swivel. then a baitholder size 1 :( , 3-6kg rod, 4000 size.... with tuna berley ... i was just off the bottom when it was hooked....

so you just let the bait drift with no sinker, just below the surface?

thats a great little session with the boys penguin :thumbup: ..

i bet they were rapt with the kingy action...

its amazing how much time we put into getting quality live squid etc an the humble ol peeled prawn comes up trumps...

i had a 55-60cm model take a 3"lime tiger minow at the surface meant for bream this arvo but got smoked on 6lb gear...

you never know what they want when they are fussy buggers i suppose... i may start taking some prawns with me next kingy hunt just in case :biggrin2:

cheers... steve....

so you just let the bait drift with no sinker, just below the surface?

Mate it will depend on how strong the current is as to how deep ur bait

will go, but thats cool coz u want it in there drifting down with ur berley.

I release my drag on the reel so I can easily keep peeling line off it and

keep the bait naturaly drifting, and when the King hits, he can easily run

with the bait. The bigger the prawn the better bcoz u will get Trevs, Bream

and other fish trying to take ur bait, this seems to excite the Kings into cumin ova

for a look, and hopefully a take.

penguin