12-1 Sydney Harbour Kings

huntman

I fished friday (11-1) with Andrew snr my father in law, and we managed one king on the DR, but it looked like it would be a good day saturday (12-1) to get out and amongst some kings, so I jumped at the chance when Robbie offered me a spot on his boat!

The crew for the day was myself, Robbie, Toby (unsure of FR name?) and basil the ever faithful canine deck hand. We had a late start as we haven't been getting any squid anyway, and picked up some yakkas and slimies quickly for bait and began downrigging. We ran into Oz and said hello, and not long after we were onto our first fish of the morning. Toby was on strike as he'd never caught a king before, and pulled in a 60cm fish to start proceedings. We reset the rigger and Robbie was next on strike. He didn't have to wait long before pulling in a similar sized fish, a little bigger than toby's, both fish were released promptly with much barking and jumping around from basil.

I was up next and a good fish hit the rigger, pulling plenty of drag. It took me a little while to get it under control, and I was absolutely buggered by the time I got colour on it (personally I blame too much Christmas food). But we got into the boat, and it went 73cm which is a new PB for me. Over the next half hour a half a dozen more fish hit the deck all going back into the drink and we lost a couple as well, including a keeper boatside dude to a poor knot. Incidently, Andrew snr tied the knot, and he's been stewing around in his garage all weekend furious with himself :P

Unfortunately the bite slowed and we managed to snag one of robbies bombs on a reef, which sucked. We decided to go back and get more yakkas at this point, as we were out of bait nearly, and we got another 10 or so while chowing down on some of the best bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches I've tasted for a while.

We took our yakkas and hit some markers around the harbour for not much. A guy next to us hooked up to a king on soft plastics, which was cool to see... and we downrigged around the heads a bit more for nothing.

All in all it was a great day to be out, with good company and something tasty to take home.

post-3248-1200279224_thumb.jpg

Edited by huntman

Top stuff there huntman.

dont know howcome they munched your yakkas and wouldnt smash mine.. I could only get strikes on the squid.

There was a lot of boats there that day and a lot of strikes. Pity the squid are not on the chew at the moment.

Congrats on your PB and see you guys out there again soon hopefully with another PB to follow.

Hey Huntman,

Yes twas a great days fishing.. I'm Stoked to have cracked my king Cherry, just got to keep getting bigger with em.. I thought I was addicted to fishing before getting the king... now I have a real problem as its all I can think about....

Thanks again Rob for a great day, Awsome Bacon Egg Rolls too.. ( i reckon it also helps if you leave a bit of yakka on your hands when you eat em.. its kinda like seasoning at sea.. :-)

I christened the Baitrunner 3500 Thanks Nexus with the 60cm King, followed by another 63cm Model....Next one hopefully legal!

Cheers

Toby

Great effort boy's well done on the pb. I'm out tomorrow hope I have as much success.

Thanks for the heads up on the Squid :thumbup: I wont waste to much time on em tomorrow if I dont get into em straight away.

mmm Yakka's here I come.

Now where did I put those Williamson live Mullets

Russ

Edited by damariboyz

I fished friday (11-1) with Andrew snr my father in law, and we managed one king on the DR, but it looked like it would be a good day saturday (12-1) to get out and amongst some kings, so I jumped at the chance when Robbie offered me a spot on his boat!

The crew for the day was myself, Robbie, Toby (unsure of FR name?) and basil the ever faithful canine deck hand. We had a late start as we haven't been getting any squid anyway, and picked up some yakkas and slimies quickly for bait and began downrigging. We ran into Oz and said hello, and not long after we were onto our first fish of the morning. Toby was on strike as he'd never caught a king before, and pulled in a 60cm fish to start proceedings. We reset the rigger and Robbie was next on strike. He didn't have to wait long before pulling in a similar sized fish, a little bigger than toby's, both fish were released promptly with much barking and jumping around from basil.

I was up next and a good fish hit the rigger, pulling plenty of drag. It took me a little while to get it under control, and I was absolutely buggered by the time I got colour on it (personally I blame too much Christmas food). But we got into the boat, and it went 73cm which is a new PB for me. Over the next half hour a half a dozen more fish hit the deck all going back into the drink and we lost a couple as well, including a keeper boatside dude to a poor knot. Incidently, Andrew snr tied the knot, and he's been stewing around in his garage all weekend furious with himself :P

Unfortunately the bite slowed and we managed to snag one of robbies bombs on a reef, which sucked. We decided to go back and get more yakkas at this point, as we were out of bait nearly, and we got another 10 or so while chowing down on some of the best bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches I've tasted for a while.

We took our yakkas and hit some markers around the harbour for not much. A guy next to us hooked up to a king on soft plastics, which was cool to see... and we downrigged around the heads a bit more for nothing.

All in all it was a great day to be out, with good company and something tasty to take home.

Sounds like a top day you had there :1fishing1: just waiting for a day like that myself

nothing like a nice day catching plenty of fish...well done guy's

regards Chris

Top stuff there huntman.

dont know howcome they munched your yakkas and wouldnt smash mine.. I could only get strikes on the squid.

There was a lot of boats there that day and a lot of strikes. Pity the squid are not on the chew at the moment.

Congrats on your PB and see you guys out there again soon hopefully with another PB to follow.

You guys did really well last weekend regardless though! Maybe the kings saw we had no squid and munched on our yakkas our of sympathy :P

Thanks all for the kind words, hopefully we'll be back at it this weekend trying to break the new mark :)

Hi boys,

It may be slightly off subject and i apologise i was just wondering Do or does anyone know anything at all or is anyone familiar with any Sabre blank's, basically I am looking at getting a 24-37kg Sabre blank built up and i want to fish 24kg mainline with a 150 pound top shot of quite alot to use it to live bait off the rock's for big kingy's. I am currently looking at getting a 7 foot Sabre GF 670H blank at the moment but it is to long for my like ing, can i get it cut down if need be to the length of what i want it at? all info and feedback greatly appreciated or pm me