Trolling A Live Slimy Or Yakka

spongy

Hey all,

Just a quick question on how to attach a live slimy or yakka when slow trolling for kingies.

I figure the best place would be through the eye sockets. Any suggestions here?????

Also, for those without downriggers, what are the best ways to get the trolling livie deeper below the surface. Im thinking maybe some form of paternoster rig. Any suggestions????

Cheers,

Jeff

when trolling a livie hook it through the top of its lip it will stay alive for a bit but not as long as hooking it through the back.

to get it deeper try a heavy sinker up the line about a metre or 2 before the swivel.

have fun trolling

cheers

tightlines

Hey all,

Just a quick question on how to attach a live slimy or yakka when slow trolling for kingies.

I figure the best place would be through the eye sockets. Any suggestions here?????

Also, for those without downriggers, what are the best ways to get the trolling livie deeper below the surface. Im thinking maybe some form of paternoster rig. Any suggestions????

Cheers,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Mate i pass the hook sideway's through the nose of the yakka as long as the hook size matches the size

of the bait so it's not too heavy,it stay's alive for heaps.I slow troll it & i mean really slow,with a decent

size bean sinker above a strong swivel & a 2 metre length of 80lb leader.

I usually troll 2 livies or one with a fresh squid,im usually trolling them right in close to the cliffs from

cape banks to coogee,so one is weighted,the other without so it's on the surface.

I got plenty of kings like this with some good fish up to 10kg,but loose a fair share of unstoppables as well.

So you don't alway's need a downrigger to get them!

cheers mate

steve

Apologies for the intrusion,

Steve, may I ask you what do you think about trolling with a 200-300g knife jig as a sinker?

Thanks

Alex

Hey Jeff,

Mate i pass the hook sideway's through the nose of the yakka as long as the hook size matches the size

of the bait so it's not too heavy,it stay's alive for heaps.I slow troll it & i mean really slow,with a decent

size bean sinker above a strong swivel & a 2 metre length of 80lb leader.

I usually troll 2 livies or one with a fresh squid,im usually trolling them right in close to the cliffs from

cape banks to coogee,so one is weighted,the other without so it's on the surface.

I got plenty of kings like this with some good fish up to 10kg,but loose a fair share of unstoppables as well.

So you don't alway's need a downrigger to get them!

cheers mate

steve

Apologies for the intrusion,

Steve, may I ask you what do you think about trolling with a 200-300g knife jig as a sinker?

Thanks

Alex

Hey Alex,

Mate the knife jig would definately twist around too much & give you heaps of problems with your line,its

probably gunna be way to heavy as well,i reckon 100gram size sinker is what i use as weight for the

size of the yakka's out of botany bay & that's plenty to get down in 20m of water.

But you can use a chrome straight running metal lure around 80grams as your weight with a 80lb leader

around 2 metre's & i no this works as there are some fisho's i no a while back that used to troll like that & get lot's of kings too.

Give it a go & we always learn something new out there,& if it works than that's what counts.

cheers mate

steve

Thanks all for your feedback,

I never thought about using a metal lure as a sinker. Sounds interesting and will give it a go.

I will also try the "sideways thru the nose" technique.

Anyone ever tried thru the eye sockets?

You should not use the 'top lip only' method advised by samythesalmon as forcing the bait to hold its mouth open whilst dragging it through the water will kill it quite quickly. Also, once dead, the open mouth will cause the bait to spin in the water.

The hook sideways through the nose or up from the bottom through both jaws will keep the bait alive for longest. Going through the eye-socket is better than all other methods IF you bridle the bait correctly - but simply sticking the hook through will kill the bait.

Thanks all for your feedback,

I never thought about using a metal lure as a sinker. Sounds interesting and will give it a go.

I will also try the "sideways thru the nose" technique.

Anyone ever tried thru the eye sockets?

Spongy...i have encountered fairly largish kings whilst fishing for marlin in close at differant

times the slimies have all been bridaled through the nose as per standard game fish fare

and hookup as been par for course this mind you is utilizing a circle hook this being the correct way

to rig it... so as the hook is free off the bait to best achieve what its designed to do...

by the sound of things im guessing a j hook is the prefered hook of choice by most and were placement in the bait wouldn't be as critical for effective hookup but stand

to be corrected....

as mentioned with the knife jig another use for a knife jig is to connect one on the end of a slimey jig for a weight which is a popular method used by game fisho's in help getting the slimies to jump on the jig in deep water when there are being unco-operative.....

Cheers Warnie..