Bream In The Creek

Boban

I was planning to work today but Greg soon put that plan to rest.

The temptation of fishing with Greg and getting a ride in the Skeeter was too much for me to resist.

Given that I had taken my boat to Port Stephens for some marlin fishing next week (which the weather has care of) I had no sunglasses or any of my jigheads or soft plastics. Fortunately my hardbodies did not get taken up in my bag. Let’s just say I wasn’t altogether prepared.

As I got there a little early I decided to tie on a River2Sea popper and first cast out, it got smashed and I thought, what a start. Then the line popped and I thought, F…..k me, why didn’t you tie on a new leader. Easy, stupid took it all to Port Stephens.

Greg arrived and we got underway, which really is a bit of an understatement. His boat really screams. Did I mention I had no sunnies. It felt like my eyelids were rattling. What a boat.

Then Greg showed me how to fish, quite literally. We were surface fishing and watching the fish follow the lures then smash them was awesome. Worth the price of admission alone. But I couldn’t score a legal fish to save my life. Greg caught about 15 legal bream. One went over a kilo, and, had he been fishing a comp, he would have bagged a 4 kilo plus bag. Man did he kick my butt. You could say it was luck, but I think it was a case of Greg really knowing his stuff. He swaps rods, lures, you name it, but he gets the business done.

I had my share of strikes but nothing seemed to stick. Well nothing of size anyway. Then I got another hit. F…k me not again. Missed it. Left it there for a second and twitched it again. Bang, I was on and it was off towards the rocks. Time to apply the “Mitch Palm Drag” as Greg called out “Don’t let him get to the rocks”.

Well I finally got him in and I was yahooing like a kid. And best of all, it was a good fish too. Over a kilo and my best on lures to date. Man was I happy.

I have to thank Greg for a fantastic day on the water. Not only that, but he stayed out until I got one that counted. Did I mention that I got the fish of the day.

It opened my eyes to this type of fishing and I’m still smiling while typing this.

Yeeeeeeha.

Here are a few phone pictures that really don’t do justice to the fish. You can guess where the camera is.

Thanks again Greg.

post-4273-1200812706_thumb.jpg

One half of the live well

post-4273-1200812756_thumb.jpg

Greg with a couple of his better fish

post-4273-1200812800_thumb.jpg

My lone legal fish

Edited by Boban

There's nothing like surface fishing.

If you told me that Cowan Creek could produce those surface hits, I would have had my doubts. Not anymore though.

Some of the 'following' fish, were stonkers. I wish I had my sunnies as Greg saw a lot more than I did.

Hi Byron, how you going?

Any luck up north?

Hi Mitch. A pretty good bream day that one ay mate. I just had to complete this post it went on without me and only appeared as Hi Mitch :1yikes::lol:

Hey Mitch who is this Greg bloke ?

By the looks of it we had better appoint this bloke as our bi catch man next time we hit the jew then ay.

Hope the weather is good for your Marlin expedition up there in Port Stephens over the weekend and best of luck. The beaut cruise craft will be just the shot for Marlin fishing that's for sure and certain.

Cheers from up here in a rainy Forster and not so fishy at the moment and it looks like Sydney fishing has been great while I've been away.

Regards and happy new year to you and yours mate

Byron

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

PS Mitch, I didn't know you quit being a lawyer / barrister and joined the fire brigade :D

Hi Mitch

Thanks for putting up a report.

I was a little tired last night.......

after a solid night out and zero sleep I was struggling. Missed way to many strikes but we still got some good fish to the boat.

I had a great day with excellent company.

Mate I hope you learnt some new stuff and now you know what you can get into SO close to home!

Remember step banks uses sinking lures and scattered and shallow banks use the surface lures.....

Now after 13hrs sleep I'm going bassing in this crap weather!

Oh and I will remember the camera this time!!!

See ya later hopefully with a bass report.

Yes I am keen...

Greg

Good to see greg and you getting into some nice bream, can i ask what topwater lures you where using?

Greg good luck today on the bass, they sould be going off today. :1fishing1:

He Snaggy

An accie on Gladesville bridge this morning made my normal 10min trip to the ramp into a hour nightmere!

Didn't end up going bassin as the weather looked crappy and with now a late start , Patty and I went local.

The breaming was sh1t!! :thumbdown:

BUT

The usual seafood lunch was worth the effort! :thumbup:

Score in the hour or so we tried was Patty 1 slimmy, me 1 herring :wacko: ..... not counting all the tinny choppers we landed :mad3: .

Lures we used in the Cow were bubble pops, megepen and a few others that i have no idea what they are called????

Vibs and worms were the sinking ones we used.

G

Just got back from Port Macquarie and the weather is definitely crap right now, which was perfect for what I wanted to do.

Greg, I would hate to see how bad you would make me have looked if you got all the strikes. Good to see you are human after all with your lone herring.

Funny eh, I live minutes away and fished there for the first time in my life with you.

BTW - you are a fantastic photographer, you even made my fish look smaller than either of yours. Competitive to the end you are.