Duck Is Broken!

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

Due to work being a bit slow I have extended my time of! And what better way to enjoy time of other than fishing. :thumbup:

Hit the water a bit later than expected at about 4:45 this morning. Found Adam K at the ramp fretting as he couldn't get any pillies on the way to the ramp to catch bait with, so I handed some over. :thumbup:

Straight over to Lady Jane where the squid were not.... :ranting2: Then to Balmoral...Still no squid....Finally found yakkas at the island at Balmoral. No really big baits but me and John picked up about a dozen or so.

Went over to North Head and trolled some liveys around for no action, then anchored up close to Quarentine Head bouy and watched while the boat next to us pulled in undersizes kingies hand over fist.....While our baits went untouched, although I did spot a few smallish Kings cruising around. They seemed to be real finnicky.

We werent planning a long day on the water so started doing a bit of prospecting around The Spit, but lucked out. At that point a very wierd decision was made. We decided to head back into Rose Bay and have a sticky at the new house that John Symmonds is building. This was my mates idea as he is a builder. :thumbup:

After having a quick bite at John Symmonds place... :risata: We motored over to Shark Island as it is a known Kingie haunt and wanted to waste about 40 minutes before going home. Found a drop-off and started berlying hard, and dropped a livie hoping for a bit of action.

Cracked open a coldie....finished my smoke...and I had just started munching on a carrot, when.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! The Charter Special goes of!

The initial run was a killer. It went long and deep. I called for a king, and cranked up the drag. It slowed momentarily, then got a second wind. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...It ripped more line of.

Time to get serious. Pushed the drag a bit more, and started tentatively thumbing the spool. More line was peeling of! Thats when I felt the first "Thump-Thump" of a head shake.

Damn...it wasnt a King. I was slightly peeved...but you couldnt tell... the way I was jumping round the boat and screaming like a Banshee! :risata:

John spent the entire time clearing all manner of tackle out of my way as I danced round the deck and prayed that it wouldnt find the anchor rope!

Finally...with the drag at the max I wanted to push it, I was able to begin retrieving some line. It was a slow process interspersed with a couple of lazy but solid runs. We had colour....big flash of a silver sided truck! This thing was HUGE!!!!!

post-4-1104989611_thumb.jpg

One final run for freedom...and it was all over. John couldn't get the fish into the net...so he held it while I sank the gaff into its gills!

I had boated my first Jew! :thumbup:

And Andrew, just to show that I did catch it...Here is the photographic proof! :risata:

gallery_4_10_1106292126.jpg

I was going to swing past your office, but we needed to get home!

Edited by Jocool

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Jocool

OH...Forgot to mention....

It went 112 cm, and pulled my 12 KG scales down to max. I am calling it for about 15KG, but others have suggested closer to 18!

Guest Jocool

Thanks boys!

Now...What do I do with it??? :risata:

It was real bugger to clean, and I was told to cut it with a hacksaw!...So I did! :risata: I sliced the flesh to the spine, then hacksawed through it to give me cutlets varying in thickness from 3 to 6 cm's. Is there an easier way? Cos if there isn't I will be returning any other big Jew to the briny unharmed! :risata:

I have ended up with a shyte load of cutlets I can tell ya!

Edited by Jocool

Great stuff Joe, and loved the story! Could totally picture your elation at this capture.

Mate as for cleaning them up, a big cleaver does a better job than a hacksaw with the spine. I am not a fan the bone shavings from a saw cut.

I had a good mate catch a 20kg specimen off the beach and he swore after 2 hours cleaning work that he would let all future fish go!! :thumbup:

Congrats mate!!

jOE if its not bad enough you ring me to bag me out about me being at work but then to ring again with ultimate bragging rites made me want to go home

Good stuff joe mate the family would be rapped

Edited by WetPatch

G`day Fellas ,

Hey Joe ,well done and top catch mate !.

Hes solid , healthy , and at 112 cms , I`m calling that fish close to 35lb .

And as I`m writing this , theres a Local legend lookin over my shoulder and nodding his head At 35 , maybe a tick over.

He also says congrats.

Jeezus its a Buzz aint it Joe ?.

But now as reality sets in , I`m sorry to tell ya mate , you are not going to get rid of that smell for a week.

Hate the smell , luurrrvve the fish.

Mick

Great report, Joe - many congrats on breaking the duck in a very BIG way!

I've eaten Jewfish before, and it's bloody sensational IMO, so you and the family should be in for a real treat over, oh, the next month or so, I reckon!

Well done, mate.

Guest Jocool
I hope you and the family like eating fish.

:thumbup:

donfish

25920[/snapback]

Funny you should say that Don...They turn their nose up at fish!...SO its all mine!!!! :risata::risata:

But even funnier...is that when we go out to dinner....first thing they order is seafood! :risata::risata:

Well done mate. Great fish. Shame you lucked out on the kingy's. So since we are both still kingy virgins maybe we can both try to get that monkey off our back one day soon. man i'm sick of hooking up to them and getting wasted.

Cheers

Lee

Your the man Joe!!!!!:1worthy:

Congratulations couldn't happen to a nicer guy and well deserved Joe.

There was fair bit of build up and suspense with a touch of G up thrown in by others prior to your post Joe. Now I feel I just received the news of the birth of a baby. I have a cigar so I might light it up for you Joe.

Great fish.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Beaut fish Joe :thumbup:

They also eat well cold after being wrapped in cheese cloth and simmered in a pot full of herbs and vegie peelings.

Serve with a salad and dunk chunks of the fish into a light mayo, then wash down with a good beer. YUMMM :1prop:

Cheers

Bill

Guest Target

Congrats Joe

Must be a nice feeling to break your duck with an awsome fish like that, just shows that persistance pays off hey :)

Must be a rush to see that big slab of a fish come to the side of the boat, then see that its actually a real fish - all my fish that size have been sharks, rays and shovelnose :(

Just one more thing, dont mind the photos of the fish, but for gods sake, put a T-Shirt on next time will ya :1prop: ..... and by the way, what were you doing,

Cracked open a coldie....finished my smoke...and I had just started munching on a carrot

Where does the carrot come into the occasion ??????

Nah.. seriosuly, well done mate

Adrian

Guest bluecod

Mr Cool,

Congratulations on this auspicious day - when all the earlier banter was going on I was fearful that you'd caught an amberjack and not a kingie, well you didn't get the kingie but hey! with a fish like that who in the hell cares.

Well done :thumbup: They say the second big one is a lot easier.

Guest Jocool

Well done  :thumbup: They say the second big one is a lot easier.

25970[/snapback]

May be easier...But it will be swimming after the marathon effort needed to clean and carve up the bugger! :risata: Incidently...Tasted great! :risata:

Once again...Thanks all for your kind words.

Just one other thing I would like to add. This is my best ever fish...Bar none. And I got it on 20LB braid. What really humbles me, and makes me more respectful, is others such as J.D. and Swoffa scoring their big Jews on a lot lighter tackle!

THAT is really inspiring stuff!

While I'm here I want also thank everyone on the forums that ever posted any type of information that I have been able to use. It is real humbling to realise that without all of you guys on here throwing info around, I may have never been able to hook such a fish, or get it close to the boat. All the knots, rigs, and aother ancillary information has all come to fruition. :thumbup:

THANK YOU ALL FISHRAIDERS! :thumbup: