Quintrex Fishrunner

Stanfo

My Dad just bought an old Quintrex Fishrunner, its 4.3 m long and has an 80's model VRO Johnson 70hp on the back. Does anyone reckon we could take it out off Coffs Harbour on calm day or should we stick to the rivers?

Waiting on any advice

Lachlan

post-6668-1201588154_thumb.jpg

post-6668-1201588207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stanfo

My Dad just bought an old Quintrex Fishrunner, its 4.3 m long and has an 80's model VRO Johnson 70hp on the back. Does anyone reckon we could take it out off Coffs Harbour on calm day or should we stick to the rivers?

Waiting on any advice

Lachlan

i would take a a 4.3metre quinie offshore,firstly the motor would have to be in good nick and reliable ,all the necesary saftey equipment ,plenty of fuel for the trip and some for reserve make sure you log on to the vmr or coastgaurd up that way ,and make sure you check the weather report,comonsense should prevale if you think its to messy or rough head for home ,heres some proof that small boats can fish offshorepost-5893-1201172191_thumb.jpg

I have a 4.3M boat ( glass) with a new 75HP Evinrude. It has no trouble with traveling outside ,BUT........

You MUST know what the predicted conditions are going to be . It can be quite pleasant in the morning , but if a westerly or strong Nor Easter springs up , getting back can be at best uncomfortable , and at worst very dangerous. Travelling 12 miles at 4 or 5 knots can seem like an eternity!

As this is a new boat in your family , I would not venture out too far until you are completely familiar with how it handles different sea conditions , how well the motor runs , how much fuel it uses etc.

If you do venture outside , you must inform the VCG , and tell them your type of craft , destination , registration number ,persons on board and expected time of return. During the trip , monitor the VCG Freq for weather updates. If an unexpected change is on the way , a 20 minute warning may be all that you get . Something to consider if you have a 40 min trip back in ideal conditions.

If at all possible , travel with another boat , just in case !!

Ross

During the trip , monitor the VCG Freq for weather updates. If an unexpected change is on the way , a 20 minute warning may be all that you get . Something to consider if you have a 40 min trip back in ideal conditions.

If at all possible , travel with another boat , just in case !!

Ross

Hey Ross, a few quick Q's (Nice info btw)

What channel does the VCG operate on?

What does VCG stand for?

Is that the same channel you inform them of your intentions, trip etc?

I notice alot of people recomend 2 radios when outside. One is obviously VHF & I think the other is 27Meg (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Which is used by the emergency services relevant to sea going ventures?

If its only VHF, why do people recommend the other as back up?

Can anyone please recomend a site or info where I can get a better idea of how the comms system works?

S'cuse my ignorance, thought I'd ask as this thread seems appropriate.

Thanks for the info, got all safety gear bar the radio but will get on soon. Motor has been in fresh water all its life and has been serviced since we bought the boat. will remember to log in and out. does anyone know what VRO stands for?

thanks for the advice

Lachlan

Hi Lachlan, VRO stands for Variable Oil Ratio, and like anything mechanical it can fail over time. If I was heading offshore in your boat it would pay to get someone to check the VRO because if it the original one it might be time to replace it. The new one P/N 5007420 is a much superior unit to a 20 year old one and gives you the confidence that the fuel/oil pump is working when going offshore. Not a hard job to check or replace.

As the guys have said I would pick my days becasue your boat is small to head offshore and you need to watch the weather and any signs of it turning nasty you would want to head home quickly.

Cheers,

Craig.

i would take a a 4.3metre quinie offshore,firstly the motor would have to be in good nick and reliable ,all the necesary saftey equipment ,plenty of fuel for the trip and some for reserve make sure you log on to the vmr or coastgaurd up that way ,and make sure you check the weather report,comonsense should prevale if you think its to messy or rough head for home ,heres some proof that small boats can fish offshorepost-5893-1201172191_thumb.jpg

Thats sick,well done.

Did anyone miss the part about the 70 on a 4.3 being overpowered?? Or too heavy for the transom ?? You've got an old boat with a motor thats about twice as powerful as it needs not to mention half as heavy again as what it was designed for. Hate to see anyone go out and discover a cracking transom at the wrong time. :05:

Did anyone miss the part about the 70 on a 4.3 being overpowered?? Or too heavy for the transom ?? You've got an old boat with a motor thats about twice as powerful as it needs not to mention half as heavy again as what it was designed for. Hate to see anyone go out and discover a cracking transom at the wrong time. :05:

Should we downsize to about a 40 and would that still be suitable to go out to sea??

PS thought it was a bit of overkill!!

Damn site safer, Unless you weld pod on transom like I did.

Macka17

I'd be happier to go out with you if you had a 40 on it. Those old Quinnies aren't a bad tinnie but with all that extra weight on the arse and those low sides in a bit of a sea, I'd wonder about your safety. On top of all that you probably wont be able to use all the extra power anyway although you could have some fun trying inside on the smoothwater

• 2 weeks later...

My grandad use to say "if the winds blowin in the arvo than head in that direction in the morn'in " , good advice i reckon . A damn sight easier with the waves behind you than having to go straight at them and

getting pounded.

good length - I had the 4m boat, and ventured offshore (on calm days) with a 50 on the back.

I got scared in the harbour from the Ferry wake - would get some water over the transom while anchored up on sow and pigs (yes - used to catch kings there in 1994 too).

Issue was too much weight in the bum - live bait tank, battery and fuel tank. Try to move some wei

I ended up building a well around the outboard (as in the lazeabout) to give an extra 5 inches of freeboard.

note all the new designs of bigger boats have large rear platforms, where the water can not collect and weigh down the back of the boat. in my tinny, as the first wave comes over the transom into the boat, the water can not esacpe the well fast enough for the second wave to sink you.