Ultimate Jigging Reel?

GregL

Hi Raiders

Been looking at jigging reels for a while. I have some gear in thread line format but wanted something in a overhead to really put the hurt on fish and make the live baiting for kings offshore easier with the line control of an overhead.

Today on one of those funky Jap sites I found this momma :thumbup:

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product...roducts_id=4242

Anyone here seen, used or stolen one of these?

post-3563-1201570953_thumb.jpg

Limited edition, only 100 to be made!

Greg

Edited by GregL

Check this one out: http://www.marunouchishop.com/main/shimano...er40005000.html

Price is fair, very solid unit. The "p" models are better - more torque & lifting power. It's the weapon of choice for Three Kings Island jiggers, and they consistently catch the biggest kingis in the world. Shop around/ask around I got the 4000p for $AUD400. Downside is Shimano Aust won't touch it, and no ratchet; upside is 90% of parts are from TN40N. I have never been reefed with this reel B) Jack Erskine has beefed up drags for Kiwi jiggers to stop the monsters so further improvements are available :1clap:

Jig

and Jig some more!

Anyone here seen, used or stolen one of these?

Greg

Are you kidding mate. Used one. Most (if not all) of us wouldn't have known they existed before your post. I thought my Torsa was expensive. It certainly does the job easily though. IMHO its a fantastic reel. A different version of the Tiagra but certainly not a unique reel like your are eyeing.

You want to borrow it for a while, its all yours.

Cheers

Mitch

Hi Guys

Steve, yeah the Stellas are great but this time I want an over head. I already have 3 heavy treadline jigging outfits plus a 100lb popper thread line rod.

I bought a custom Miller rod about a year or so ago for a up north trip, I matched it with a Diawa SLT20 with 100lb braid to troll the reef edges. It's based on a Calstar jig blank and is crazy powerful!! That's why the search for a top end jig reel to match this rod that I have spent SO much on and have only used it a few times.

Johnno

The weird lever drag is for extra drag. Like a lock up mode I think.

Le Pasha I saw thos Blue Heavens, they look the sh1t to, that was another option.

Jigholio, I use to own one of the jiggers about 4 years ago. Nice reel but I want this one to be a ultimate outfit.

Hey Mitch, hit the river any more?

Had some reports from some friends that it's going off ATM!

I have an addiction and I love it! :biggrin2:

Greg

Hey Mitch, hit the river any more?

Had some reports from some friends that it's going off ATM!

I have an addiction and I love it! :biggrin2:

Greg

Only once more with Stewy, which you saw. I'm waiting to get my boat back so that I can go at will. What about you? Have your been since?

I have a similar addition, only watered down somewhat :biggrin2:

Hi.

Look at the two spd Accurates too.

Smooth as. and got bottom gear for when a biggie starts going down.

No drag limits either. just crank it on..

Regards

macka17

Hi Macka17

I went to Otto's last night to have a look at them.

Smooth???

The three models they had in all felt like I was winding a cake hand mixer :(

The Trinadad felt the best they had in that store.

Played with a I'ze Factory bass reel today with the matching rod, freaking awesome, the rod grip is carved out of wood!

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product...roducts_id=3598

Well the wait begins, I ordered it today after playing with the bass reel......

Fingers crossed I made a good decission...

Greg

Edited by GregL

Hi Macka17

Smooth???

Played with a I'ze Factory bass reel today with the matching rod, freaking awesome, the rod grip is carved out of wood!

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product...roducts_id=3598

Well the wait begins, I ordered it today after playing with the bass reel......

Fingers crossed I made a good decission...

Greg

You just cant help yourself can you, nice bit of kit though.

You just cant help yourself can you, nice bit of kit though.

Hey dude

Man the bass reel is that good, now I want to fish bass more just so I can justify buying one of them! :biggrin2:

Found a bunch of optional extras for my Steez Bait casters to!

Wonder if the long cast spool really makes a difference? They cast so well already!

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default...2_81_84_107_114

Greg

Trick looking bit of s**t there greg!!!! Love the wood grain!

so whats with teh saltiga z40 or z30.. no reviews?

I have used the Z30, good reel for sure. Tested it on GT's, big queenies and bottom fish.

Now that I am buying one I want the best I can find.

The rod that it's going on is a piece of art so it should have a reel to match! Well that's what I tell meself!

Only thing I personally don't like with these larger overhead outfits is when under heavy load, when you wind the rod seems to twist side to side.

This rod I have tried to fix the problem by getting it done in a spiral wrap format.

So far matched with the large SLT20 it has reduced it dramaticly.

With the smaller reel again I hope that it will be almost totally gone.

Greg

Been a while since I've posted anything on Fishraider. I blame it on the poor fishing in Melbourne at the moment. Wish I was back in Sydney. Anyway saw GregL's post and thought I should throw my 5c in.

The reel you are referring to here Greg is a super version of the Daiwa Tournament Ishidai which has gone through an IZE factory upgrade. The Ishidai reel range is primary designed for casting not jigging - you will notice a wider spool as opposed to a narrower type used for jigging. Ishidai is the Japanese name for a species of Knifejaw found off the deep rocky coastline of Japan. It is almost exclusively targeted by land based fisherman using very heavy gear. Both the baiting style and fight of the Knifejaw bears resemblance to Groper fishing here in Australia i.e. the Ishidai's favorite food source are sea urchins and once hooked generally for heavy cover. You will also note an electronic counter on the left hand plate. This is a distance meter used by the fisherman to cast to the same spot/reef each time. It is also handy when you want to test out your biceps :)

The 170,000 yen price tag is certainly hefty but one should bear in mind the matching rods which go with these reels are also in the 120,000 yen price bracket and are real work of art (pardon the pun).

Having said all of this if I had the money I wouldn't mind picking one up as well. Alas my home renovations have to come first.

Good Luck

Thanks Hiramasa for the info.

That's more info on the reel than anything I could find on the net!

The counter would be cool, now I wont even have to count the colours in the braid on the drop!

No wonder they cost so much! LOL :074:

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Macka17

Smooth???

Greg

Hi.

Anything can feel smooth in the store. Smoothness isn't everything.

But when they working, with a load on. They smooth/Strong as. and no drag restriction. Double drag. Just load it up till braid busts.

Only Shimano reel I'd touch is the little 12 2 spd Game reel. Anything else. I go elsewhere. There's better out there.

I got Saltiga 20.30.40. too. Trying to find a Jap 15. It has the auto. Into gear when turning handle after casting.

I'd rate them near top of heap in that style too.

Macka17