Mystery Fish - What Is This?

olitay

Interesting, are they common in sydney harbour?

Yes, they are found all down the East Coast of Oz.

The old grinner question is a perennial on Fishraider.

Take a look at the previous posts asking the same question Here

Cheers,

Pete

Found in the North too... my wive caught one on a 40g raider on a charter trip with Carpentaria Seafaris in Cape York. At the time I was fighting a longtail tuna also hooked on a 40g raider from the school blowing up all around the boat. And wasn't Mrs Slinky p*%%#d. lol.

Cheers, Slinky

these grinners are the scorn of the inshore reefs in southern queensland. they have become that thick in the last few years that they decimate entire reefs, eating all resident fish. a definate pest. that one is a quite small oneby the way. the bigger the uglier! it's amazing what lures they hit sometimes!

Edited by frangkie

Made me laugh mate. I thought you were referring to grinner as in made you grin which would be the first reaction after looking at the size of the fish compared to the squidgee it took :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer,

Only reason I know what it is is because one day a few years ago while trolling a CD9 Rapalla in Botany I jagged one about the same size as the one in the pic. I had no idea what it was & at that point had never heard of Fishraider so I emailed Gary Brown & said mate whats this ugly bugger..... grinner was his reply.

Paul