Longy 3/2 - Kings And Yaks

southerly

Decided to get away from the harbour crowds. Got to Long Reef ramp at 5.10am with a few other yaks setting up, the wind was howling so I just stood there. Finally launched about 5.45 after convincing myself that the wind was droping. Paddled out into a slight but sloppy sea with a fair bit of swell comming through out the front. Copped a couple over the side and gave the electric bilge pump its first real workout.

Paddled towards the boats as one had hooked up, then bait and kings lit up the sounder, pulled in the trolling lines and re-rigged with a fresh squid head from yesterday morning. Instantly hooked up, after a short fight a 60cm king comes in. Rebaited and dropped for a quick hookup on another king, this time a keeper at 67cm, yippee, by this time another yak had landed an 80cm and 70cm king so I was thinking maybe a better run of fish is around at last. But it was not to be, fish 3 to 7 were all undersized, one only just. Used up all the fresh bait and switch to frozen self caught squid and cuttles, landed another king, then things quiented down, so I gave away the rest of my squid and headed in after 1 hour of non-stop action.

Busted off on 3 fish, missed a few good hits, most were landed most on squid, I also had a 5in gulp jerk shad in nuclear chicken hanging under the boat, had quite a few hits but only 2 hook-ups, one landed and one bust-up. I was pretty much on to fish the whole time so had a great morning.

Used my brand new Daiwa Cetrtate Hyper 4000 for the first time, it is bloody awsome, didn't even start to work on the rats, while my Daiwa Kix 4000 flexes horribly when cranking a king. No pics as the camera had a full memory.

Southerly

Sounds like an exciting outing, Southerly, in more ways than one! Just as well the bilge was working better than the camera! Shame there were no pics.

Glad you are happy with your new gear!

The seas are just soooo rough up here still. Haven't even bothered fishing the rocks for blackies, plus it is bucketting down now!

Roberta

Decided to get away from the harbour crowds. Got to Long Reef ramp at 5.10am with a few other yaks setting up, the wind was howling so I just stood there. Finally launched about 5.45 after convincing myself that the wind was droping. Paddled out into a slight but sloppy sea with a fair bit of swell comming through out the front. Copped a couple over the side and gave the electric bilge pump its first real workout.

Paddled towards the boats as one had hooked up, then bait and kings lit up the sounder, pulled in the trolling lines and re-rigged with a fresh squid head from yesterday morning. Instantly hooked up, after a short fight a 60cm king comes in. Rebaited and dropped for a quick hookup on another king, this time a keeper at 67cm, yippee, by this time another yak had landed an 80cm and 70cm king so I was thinking maybe a better run of fish is around at last. But it was not to be, fish 3 to 7 were all undersized, one only just. Used up all the fresh bait and switch to frozen self caught squid and cuttles, landed another king, then things quiented down, so I gave away the rest of my squid and headed in after 1 hour of non-stop action.

Busted off on 3 fish, missed a few good hits, most were landed most on squid, I also had a 5in gulp jerk shad in nuclear chicken hanging under the boat, had quite a few hits but only 2 hook-ups, one landed and one bust-up. I was pretty much on to fish the whole time so had a great morning.

Used my brand new Daiwa Cetrtate Hyper 4000 for the first time, it is bloody awsome, didn't even start to work on the rats, while my Daiwa Kix 4000 flexes horribly when cranking a king. No pics as the camera had a full memory.

Southerly

Sounds like a great day mate. It always amazes me you guys on Yaks getting all your gear on board. We use a over five metre stacer and are constantly tripping over gear and need to invent a floating trailer behind the boat. I'm stating to suspect your guys kayaks are like the tip of the iceberg and there are about eight rooms below deck :1prop: Where do you keep your catch fish keeper net over the side? or in your budgie smugglers?

Good session,

Cheers,

Joe