3/2 Harbour Kings + Big Cuttlefish

Yabbiehunter

Hey all just a quick harbour post, as you have read a lot of people did well today on the Harbour today, myself included and i wont bore you with the usual fishing stories......landed a few kings + Legal Snapper,but what i did want to share with you was this Nice Cuttlefish i got whilst squidding, needles to say he was a real heavy fellow, and lets just say that the whole boat is now BLACK with ink, cuttle ink. Not happy @ all.

Would any1 know if a cuttle of this size is a good bait? i just threw this one back

Enjoy

YH

post-3509-1202034256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yabbiehunter

Bait..... I'd be cutting it into thin strips, drop it into a hot pan with a little butter and garlic.... Yum.

They make fantastic tucker, too good for bait.

Nathan.

i offered it to a few people back @ the rosebay but it was pissing down rain when i came back in, nooone wanted it. oh well bad luck i guess

as others have said it is great bait

think of what a slug-go is just a long strip of white (colour of choice) plastic

cut the cuttle up and looks the same but you get thick baits and lots of.

well done on the trip

as others have said it is great bait

think of what a slug-go is just a long strip of white (colour of choice) plastic

cut the cuttle up and looks the same but you get thick baits and lots of.

well done on the trip

When you say it like that it makes a lot of sence, oh well i guess if it is not fresh i guess it would not be as affective, i will post some photos of the ink in the boat as soon as the weather clears up a littlebit

Yabbiehunter,

you should have kept it for strip baits mate :1badmood:

those candles when cut off make the worlds best SP and downrig really well too, i rate fresh stripped cuttle as a much better bait than a stripped squid and sometimes even the candles get a better responce than a live squid on the downrigger, its so thick!

they are a pain in the arse to clean (especially the enourmous ones) and can take up to an hour to remove all the skin, ink and guts (i reccomend you pull up to a beach and do it there as the sand helps). i target the larger cuttles regulary enough as a fresh or frozen bait for kings as well as large strip baits for blue eye at browns mountain... nothing beats it and out of one creature you can get enough baits for 2 long trips.

if you want to get them regulary, try the offshore reefs or the deep, thick inshore weedbeds with a large yakka on a spike around the end of summer through autumn... they go crazy for it.

here is a pic of one of the last ones i took a photo of about 6 months ago (lasted 4 kingy trips and a browns mountain bash which resulted in 2 x 18kg blue eye + bag limit of gemmies)... it was estimated 10-15kg and caught on a spiked yakka off cronulla.

post-802-1202075742_thumb.jpg

if you dont want to catch them you can always scoop the smelly ones dead off the surface at the end of autumn after they mass spawn and die.

CFD

thanks for the info,

Very informative, i have been having GREAT success with the smaller Cuttles they get smashed by kings have not targeted the larger ones though, seeing this one in the shallows chase my yo zuri was a awesome sight. also top pic there on you cuttle, now i wish i did not throw mine back

Very jealous.. Would be more jealous if it didnt ink. My grandmother makes a black spaghetti with ink from cuttlefish. Its to die for and very exclusive =) I do anything to catch one that big and just be able to slap it on her kitchen table!

I know, but it sounds worse then it tastes, believe me!

Very jealous.. Would be more jealous if it didnt ink. My grandmother makes a black spaghetti with ink from cuttlefish. Its to die for and very exclusive =) I do anything to catch one that big and just be able to slap it on her kitchen table!

I know, but it sounds worse then it tastes, believe me!

Ink pasta is wonderful... stains your teeth though! :biggrin2:

Mate cuttles, octopus and eels freak me out.

I always let em go.

I will handle a shark no worries but those other critters i pass on.

They certainly do make good bait. I remember the last time i got a cuttle at quarantine the other boats around us looked on in amazement when we let it go.

Cheers

Hey all just a quick harbour post, as you have read a lot of people did well today on the Harbour today, myself included and i wont bore you with the usual fishing stories......landed a few kings + Legal Snapper,but what i did want to share with you was this Nice Cuttlefish i got whilst squidding, needles to say he was a real heavy fellow, and lets just say that the whole boat is now BLACK with ink, cuttle ink. Not happy @ all.

Would any1 know if a cuttle of this size is a good bait? i just threw this one back

Enjoy

YH

post-3509-1202034256_thumb.jpg

Nice catch there But not shore if that size is good for whole bait but can tell you great on the dinner plate :beersmile:

have consumer a few of these myself.

cheer

bob