Need A Sounder

LEELEE

Hi all,

I need a sounder to mount to my riptide so I am open to suggestions.

I currently have a Navman 4500 but at present that does not help me when i'm up th efront of the boat with the leccy.

Any suggestions and prices would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

Have you consudered buying one from overseas?

I purchased a Humminbird Matrix 17x from the US ( http://www.westmarine.com/ )

The retail for $589 in Australia, it cost me $315 delivered and got here in 1 week. :flying: I was even able to track the location of the Sounder via the internet. As far as I'm aware you don't pay duty/GST if its under $400 AUD.

Lizard

Haven't thought of second hand v's new. Only want something small and compact to mount up the front for depth and to locate fish when useing the leccy. I want as small as possible but still good and reliable for displaying the bottom and fish.

Cheers

Lee

Haven't thought of second hand v's new. Only want something small and compact to mount up the front for depth and to locate fish when useing the leccy. I want as small as possible but still good and reliable for displaying the bottom and fish.

Cheers

Lee

26411[/snapback]

I'm keen for a bow mount sounder too and if I do put one in I will consider a Lowrance X-51 but I have a Matrix27 on the back so I will consider another H/Bird.

The only drama getting one from the US is that they only measure in feet and farenhiet, I'm a metric boy :biggrin2: .

Cheers

Lee

26411[/snapback]

I'm keen for a bow mount sounder too and if I do put one in I will consider a Lowrance X-51 but I have a Matrix27 on the back so I will consider another H/Bird.

The only drama getting one from the US is that they only measure in feet and farenhiet, I'm a metric boy :biggrin2: .

26413[/snapback]

Hey Ozy

I know it makes more sense having the same brand of sounder front and back, but I have heard the signals of two sounders of the same brand can interfere with each other. I haven't tried it yet myself, but you may want to ask around before settling on another H'bird.

just to clarify the metric measurement issue - I think most, if not all, Lowrance sounders have an option to change the US, imperial measurements to Metric regardless of where/how they were purchased.

To get the metric option on a Humminbird, you must buy the 'international' version of the sounder. The US Humminbird version is what you'll mostly see advertised on the web.

Hope you're having fun in the new ride Ozy, see you on the water mate.. :thumbup:

Joe

Edited by Pukka

Hey Ozy

I know it makes more sense having the same brand of sounder front and back, but I have heard the signals of two sounders of the same brand can interfere with each other. I haven't tried it yet myself, but you may want to ask around before settling on another H'bird.

just to clarify the metric measurement issue - I think most, if not all, Lowrance sounders have an option to change the US, imperial measurements to Metric regardless of where/how they were purchased.

To get the metric option on a Humminbird, you must buy the 'international' version of the sounder. The US Humminbird version is what you'll mostly see advertised on the web.

Hope you're having fun in the new ride Ozy, see you on the water mate..  :thumbup:

Joe

26417[/snapback]

Thanks for the interference tip Pukka, I'll be sure to check it out.

As for the Humminbird international version, they are actually hard to get from the US and as you say the imperial version is mostly what you see on the net. I actually bid on a Matrix 37 on e-bay a few times but luckily I missed out. After going to the sellers online store I found out after sending him an e-mail before I went the "purchase now" option, he told me he couldn't get the international version.

After some initial bugs and some playing around the new ride is great. After some intense research both on my part and the dealers the common response from hull and prop people was that the Yammie 60 4stroke was one of the hardest motors to set up. We ended up fitting a Permatrim (thank's Bill) on Yamaha's recommendation and it's like a different boat :biggrin2: .

Cheers,

Ozy.

Edited by Ozy