Lobsters In Nsw

Luringbream

Hey all,

Does anyone regularly target lobsters in NSW waters?

If so, i'm after a bit of information such as what substrates they habitat, whats seasons are most productive and what depths i should be targeting?

Or, just any information at all :biggrin2:

Thanks,

DAN

Have heard of crays in botany bay and JB. Have never targeted them or know any more. I think there is still commercial lobster fisherman in BB?

Don't know about the commercial guys, but I used to do all right on the crays when I lived at Malua Bay (BB)around 15 years back. Reputation has it that the south coast fishes better than the north, but I'm told there is (was?) a commercial fishery around Port Macq as well.

Biggest problem I always found was poaching. I'd never have pots out between November - Feb. At $20 - $30 a pop, it got to the point I might as well buy the bloody crays in the shop. Was out one day checking and re-baiting and actually watched these B%#$@% snorkellers raiding my pot at my feet! A couple of well placed rocks just in front of them and a few choice words had them swimming swiftly towards New Zealand, but they got their revenge. No pot the next day :1badmood:

Qwyj

Hi ya

A buddy regularly snorkels for them, but you have to be really careful - when you spot them & go to pull them out of the crack/crevasse, they retreat back into it. Just make sure you don't get your arm caught in the crack or crevasse!

Didn't a well known League player get convicted last year for pinching lobsters?? Cheaper to buy them!

Roberta

Hi ya

A buddy regularly snorkels for them, but you have to be really careful - when you spot them & go to pull them out of the crack/crevasse, they retreat back into it. Just make sure you don't get your arm caught in the crack or crevasse!

Didn't a well known League player get convicted last year for pinching lobsters?? Cheaper to buy them!

Roberta

yes mate, terry hill and bob fultons son gone done

There are lobbies on just about every headland - places like Long Reef etc... You will need to don a mask and snorkel and work on the freediving technique.

A few friends of mine fish with spears and regularly supplement their catch with a few lobsters. They are definitely out there but it is bloody hard to get them.

Edited by Andy Loops

There are lobbies on just about every headland - places like Long Reef etc... You will need to don a mask and snorkel and work on the freediving technique.

Long Reef is a Aquatic reserve, so no taking Crays from there.

Long Reef Aquatic Reserve was declared primarily to protect the marine invertebrates (animals without bacKBones) found on the rock platforms, and to protect subtidal marine plants and animals. It is also important for marine education.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/marine_pro...r_long_reef.htm

Other headlands not a problem...ummm Shelly's closed as well.

Just check before going.

Good luck :biggrin2:

PS. LuringBream, your in box is full.

Edited by Blackfish

Thanks for the tips guys, i appreciate it. At the moment i'm just trying to gather as much info as i can to put myself in the right direction and hopefully snare a few one way or another.

Biggest problem I always found was poaching. but they got their revenge. No pot the next day :1badmood:

Qwyj

I'd be spewing if someone stole my pots! I burn everytime i go to collect my crab pots and i find them to be in a distorted line with massive holes cut out of them. A few months back i counted 11 holes in 5 traps!!

I was watching a documentary on scuba diving for lobsters a couple of weeks back(part of the reason why i got caught up in researching lobsters) and at times the guys would remove their scuba gear in order to enter the narrow crevice barely fitting their bodys in there. The documentary then went on to show the other creatures 'to watch out for' that habitat these crevices such as octopus and eels and it was freaky stuff! :1yikes:

PS. LuringBream, your in box is full.

Space has now been freed up :biggrin2:

Regards,

Daniel