Sydney Harbour Saturday 16/2

slinkymalinky

Well it started out and we thought it was going to be one of those :thumbdown: days.... but it turned into one of those :thumbup: days.

BrettP, Little Slinky and I left Roseville at about 5.00am. After finding brown water and no squid at the spit we went and found brown water and instead no yakkas at Balmoral!! Undeterred, we headed to North Harbour where we found brown water but Little Slinky nabbed a squid (making us big people look bad). We found a sneaky spot finally where the Yakkas were the size of jellybeans and bait-jig mad so the tank got well stocked.

The worrying signs continued though... If anyone finds a spool from a Pfleuger reel in North Habour, please return it to BrettP (don't ask!!). And best not to ask about why the line load on the other spool is so much less now either...

For my part, I copped a boat full of ink from Little Slinky's squid.

So finally we went out to Spot X (henceforth known as Gemma's Reef)... anyone who recognizes it from the photos will be sunk if we find you there on the Social (probably everyone... it's hardly ambiguous). We thought the day was going to go from average to bad when the first hookup on a very good king on the squid, wrapped himself around Little Slinkys rig and the downrigger, then busted off. And the second one... busted off. From memory there may even have been a third and things were looking grim.

But finally it all came together. Little Slinky boated her first legal King at 65.00001cm. Then BrettP picked up his first legal King at 67cm. Then Little Slinky got another. Then they just kept coming until the bait ran out. The mini Yakkas in some instances were getting snaffled before we had time to get the downrigger set.

Finally out of bait, we snoozed up to The Spit where I was asked to put my Japanese culinary talents to good use and we tucked into fresh Kingfish sashimi. BrettP looked a little nervous about the food safety standards in the preparation area but you'll note from the photos that the bait is neatly separated from the food and that the knife has been carefully wiped with a fish rag before preparing the sashimi.

See you all at the Social.

Cheers, Slinky

post-6175-1203144654_thumb.jpeg

post-6175-1203144677_thumb.jpeg

post-6175-1203144735_thumb.jpeg

post-6175-1203144612_thumb.jpeg

post-6175-1203144639_thumb.jpeg

post-6175-1203144753_thumb.jpeg

Glad to see it turned out so well. Little Slinky sure looks happy to be out there and she looks like a natural little mariner.

Got to luv your kids ay especially when they outfish you like that and then let you keep their fish :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Another great report mate :)

The look on little slinkys face says it all...

Pass on my congratulations to her on a fine capture and her first legal king.

Well done on getting into them despite the coffee water...

Bait board or not, that sashimi has my mouth watering. :drool:

Cheers

Tony

:1fishing1:

Edited by swordfisherman

Thanks again for the day Tony,

It was great to get my first couple of legal Kings, and to see Gemma have some success also. I was a bit cautious when the sashimi came out as I have always lived by the don't eat bait theory, but it was extremely good.

Cheers

Brett

Hey Brett,

Were you worried I might be planning to poison you so I didn't have so much competition at the Social?.... you and I will be pushing it to outfish Gemma anyway, particularly if she insists that 'she who catches the squid, fishes with the squid'

Going to have to back the drag off a bit for her next weekend though... she should have her new custom rod and I'd hate to see it either go overboard or have it busted on the gunwhale.... those kings were pulling her around a bit today!!.

See you next weekend mate,

Slinky

Hey Brett,

Were you worried I might be planning to poison you so I didn't have so much competition at the Social?.... you and I will be pushing it to outfish Gemma anyway, particularly if she insists that 'she who catches the squid, fishes with the squid'

Going to have to back the drag off a bit for her next weekend though... she should have her new custom rod and I'd hate to see it either go overboard or have it busted on the gunwhale.... those kings were pulling her around a bit today!!.

See you next weekend mate,

Slinky

Tony,

We probably have about 200kg on her, so I think we should be able to talk her out of the squid. Although, when it comes to the talking part, nobody comes close to her. I think every boat on the harbour knew she caught a king today, good on her.

Cheers

Brett

SPEAKING OF SASHIMI

Kingfish (Buri in Japanese) is the BEST in winter.

Im in Japan at the moment and Kingfish Sashimi is DELICIOUS!!! because of the fat they put on during the winter months the king fish here that they catch is 10KG! very fat. Winter Kingfish also have a different name and the Japanese call winter Kingfish KAN-BURI

Watched a fishing show the other day and the catch these KAN-BURI on a hand line (no rods) just line & gloves. CRAZY!

For me, Its way too cold at the moment to go fishing, (snow snow snow)

The fishing & tackle stores here have a excellent range of tackle goods.

(i have attached a picture taken from a seafood restaurant in Japan this is the KAN-BURI sizes that they catch in winter)

post-6570-1203215822_thumb.jpg

Edited by katsuo

Guest GoFish Pete

Well done to all of you especially little Slinky :yahoo:

Its nice to read these reports and see that our customers are having some success with the kings.

Little Slinky might be on the money for the rod and reel combo that we are giving away at the social next weekend I reckon. :thumbup:

I hope to get out and chase the Dollies tomorrow and hopefully the kings on thursday.

cheers

GoFish Pete

SPEAKING OF SASHIMI

Kingfish (Buri in Japanese) is the BEST in winter.

Im in Japan at the moment and Kingfish Sashimi is DELICIOUS!!! because of the fat they put on during the winter months the king fish here that they catch is 10KG! very fat. Winter Kingfish also have a different name and the Japanese call winter Kingfish KAN-BURI

Watched a fishing show the other day and the catch these KAN-BURI on a hand line (no rods) just line & gloves. CRAZY!

For me, Its way too cold at the moment to go fishing, (snow snow snow)

The fishing & tackle stores here have a excellent range of tackle goods.

(i have attached a picture taken from a seafood restaurant in Japan this is the KAN-BURI sizes that they catch in winter)

Well done the "Slinkey's" ,and thank goodness our Kings are not like those in Japan.They look like they would pull the transom out of a good sized fishing boat !!!!