The Parra On Saturday

LEELEE

Well we hit the parra on Saturday and launched the boat at kissing point at around 6:30 ish. We headed straight up to the bridges with the livewell tank filling as we got there. The wind was already blowing at an unpleasant rate.

The plan of attack was sp's for me and baits for my girlfriend. When we arrived at the train bridge we started fishing as soon as the Minn Kota was in the water. A couple drifts around the pylons saw a nice chopper come to the boat that liked the look of my sp. He was released to fight another day. There were heaps of hits but they would not take the sp. Meanwhile over in bait land my girlfriend was getting absolutely crunched with her baits and no fish on board. Then she manages to coax in a small bream. He was released as well. Then next cast her IM6 was bucked right over down to the waters edge with a serious fish attached to the 10lb leader and 6lb fireline. The fish outsmarted us and we did not even see what it was. So another pass actually revealed the funniest moment in fishing I have had in a long time. I was up the front of the boat with the foot pedal re rigging after losing a jighead and we were facing upstream when my girlfriend yells out. I turn around to see a single sculler no less than 2 meters from the rear of the boat. I yelled out to him, but he hit the back of the 4mm plate boat :1yikes: Now what follows is hilarious and you will see why in a second. After the collision took place, it was a fair shunt, the sculler's boat tipped over and he fell out into the drink :05: The trainers were right up the back of the field and raced up to help him out. One of the other scullers said " boats are to quite these days " and I replied " yeah " as I was laughing. But what made this even funnier was the fact that unbeknownst to me he had already turned around and seen us about 20metres away and my girlfriend looked him straight in the eyes. There is no way he could not have seen us. I guess he wanted us to move, but me being up the front of the boat and not seeing him, well it was never going to happen.

So after the little early morning amusement we moved further down river to try some spots where I have pulled bream before. So we start fishing and my girlfriend has to keep baiting up cause she knows she is just feeding the fish. She managed another bream of around 28cms. Meanwhile over in Sp land I am getting Call. Far Call actually on the sp's. Heaps of hits but no hook ups. So I rip off the sp and put a tiny piece of Hawkesbury river prawn tail on the jig. First cast and I’m onto a nice 40cm flattie. Landed the fish and he broke the 6lb leader with all his thrashing abouts whilst I’m trying to show my girlfriend what a flathead looks like. See ya mr flathead and off he swims. Several more passes later and more fish feeding I changed back to sp's only to get the local toad fish patrol interested to maul the sp's. So off we went in search of some bream under the boats.

Now normally this would be a good idea, but as it turned out it was fruitless and fishless. The current was running to quickly and the wind was blowing even harder. So after a while we returned to the previous spot in hope the toads had gone away. I switch back to another prawn tail on the jig head and bam another nice flattie. Now this flattie had been watching to many kingy's cause he obviously wants to be a kingfish when he grows up and thought he would get some practice in on me. Well I was having none of it and after a spirited fight the 45cm flathead was on board. Again this one broke the leader, must be related to the previous lizard and he was returned quickly to the water. Now meanwhile somewhere in baitland down the back of the boat, I see my girlfriend baiting up and hitting the same spot over and over again and getting absolutely handled. Now this girl can fish so there was something smart and big around. So she baits up again and whack line starts spooling off and after a quick tighten of the drag she is into a good fight in shallow ( less that 1.3 metres ) water. Well she pulls a stonking 30-32cm bream that was so fat he was going to explode. She had defiantley been feeding him. Now this bream was nick named NEMO as he was missing a fin :1yikes: After a couple of shots of the digi camera we released him.

Many casts later I hook up on a bigger fish that has me working hard to land him. I got him to the boat and landed a nice35-36cm bream that was very wide and had a nice belly on him. Well the jighead was down his gut and he was bleeding. No time for shots here, the girlfriend had the camera ready, so I cut the leader and sent him on his way.

So another trip up to the bridge, as the rain set in and no fish due to the heavy current running past the pylons. So we headed back to the previous spot. I spotted what looked like small jews working the flats in less that 60cm's of water. 50cm fish but they were darting around everywhere kicking up sand so it was hard to see what it was. Saw some big silver bream flashes and small baitfish were jumping everywhere. No hook ups and it was time to go home.

It was a nice day and we had heaps of fun, but I’m disappointed that I used bait and did not persist with the sp's. Next time I wont make that mistake.

Cheers

Lee

P.s - Here is NEMO the 1 finned bream.

post-142-1105345796_thumb.jpg

post-142-1105345853_thumb.jpg

Edited by leelee

G/day Lee

Nice fish there mate thats the problem in taking women fishing they always show you up catching the biggest fish :biggrin2: heres a tip never take them to the dog races either because they will pick all the winners just to show you up :risata: got every thing on your boat sussed now? we got to organise a trip together soon Lee catch ya

Well done Lee, good idea putting a bit of bait on the jig :thumbup: . I fished the bottom end of the parra last week and it fish poorly aswell with no fish bigger than 30cm. Try around Pyrmont, Blackwattle and Rozelle bays. Have had a few mates fishing there the past few days that have picked up some good size fish in more numbers aswell. :thumbup: Oh and nice work pretending u didn't see the rower aswell :risata:

Edited by Rick T

G/day Lee

Nice fish there mate thats the problem in taking women fishing they always show you up catching the biggest fish  :biggrin2: heres a tip never take them to the dog races either because they will pick all the winners just to show you up  :risata: got every thing on your boat sussed now? we got to organise a trip together soon Lee catch ya

26549[/snapback]

Chris still not set up for bait fishing. Got no bait board and only the crappy plastic rod holders. Putting a rod rack in this week, then some scotty rod holders soon. Then I want a down rigger and a removable bait board and a............... this list keeps going on and on

Cheers

Lee

Well done Lee, good idea putting a bit of bait on the jig :thumbup: .  I fished the bottom end of the parra last week and it fish poorly aswell with no fish bigger than 30cm.  Try around Pyrmont, Blackwattle and Rozelle bays.  Have had a few mates fishing there the past few days that have picked up some good size fish in more numbers aswell. :thumbup:  Oh and nice work pretending u didn't see the rower aswell :risata:

26593[/snapback]

Cheers Rick will give that a try next time.

What Ramp is the closest to the Roseville and Pyrmont area?

Cheers

Lee

I usually just travel on the water from the bottom end. Only takes about 10 mins from wharf road and is much nicer than doing battle with the traffic in the city. Make sure u slow down to 8 knots in the pyrmont area as the waterways base is in roseville bay so they are regularily around there :thumbup:

• 15 years later...