What A Morning!

King slayer

Hi Raiders,

Didn't quite have the spare time to attend the social today, (even though it would have been nice to meet some of you guys since i'm only a newby), so I decided to just use the precious time I had for the kings, my new favourite adversary. I was by my self since my mates all had other stuff on, so Iwent out any way. After picking up plenty of livies and one little squid, it was off to my favourite spot X (Though not much of a secret). Quickly pulled in two nice little sampsons and I would have been fairly happy with that, but it gets better. It all went quiet for a while so I thought I'd join the 500 other guys at OMH, but i got over that pretty quickly.

I was almost going to head back in when I decided to give my fav spot one more go with my last hour of available time. Down go the livies and bang! I'm on to a fierce king :thumbup: , he went about 67cm. I wasn't really expecting it cause the other guys around were all a bit quiet. Still quite shaky from the battle I got my breath back the two lines go back down. not ten minutes passes when WHACK off goes the same rod and another even stronger beast (went about 70cms) makes it into the boat after some great runs (much respect to these fish). I thought surely that would be it fot the morning, but stuck on a couple more livies and downed lines. Was heading for the phone to brag to one of my mates who normally comes out with me and after one ring...s#@^ I threw down the phone as my rod doubles over again. By this stage a few others around were cheering me on and one guy yells out: "Mate you've got two on". I looked over and my second rod was jumping around, yelled out to the on-lookers.. Help! I think it must have been amusing to watch me struggle around the tinny like that.. Double hook up! :yahoo: My first on a solo mission. So I pulled up the first one which by this time was of course tangled around the other, the leader broke right at the end, but I already had my had on it by then, so in he came. with shaky hands undid the tangle and at that moment realised the second king had broken my rod and was still on! So fought him for a good while and finally he comes in and he's a biggun, well for me anyway at 76cms and my new PB :1clap: Took a quick pic of the broken rod and the two kings that nearly gave me a heart attack and decided to release the first one since I already has three plus the Sampsons. He swam off happily and I was left with one broken rod, and my other with the leader detached. Had run out of time and anyway my esky was getting pretty full. So off I went back to the ramp to make it back to my dear wife by the promised time.

Had a lot of fun today and spotted some raiders out too (I think). Wish I had time for the social, but will definately try harder next time one's on.

Cheers all and see you on the water next time!

Sounds like a top day out!

Gota love fishing solo. I do it a lot and it keeps you buisy to say the least. Pitty about the broken rod.. Where are the pics!!!!!

The pics are on my new phone and I haven't worked out how to get them onto the computer yet. I'll put them up if I figure it out.

well done :thumbup:

sounds like a cracker of a day you had......

that would of looked awsome if someone was able to vid the kingy two step you were dancing...

would get my vote on funniest home vids :074:

shame about the rod but its a great excuse to get something nice to punish them back next round...

cheers... steve......

well done :thumbup:

sounds like a cracker of a day you had......

that would of looked awsome if someone was able to vid the kingy two step you were dancing...

would get my vote on funniest home vids :074:

shame about the rod but its a great excuse to get something nice to punish them back next round...

cheers... steve......

Yeah a new rod's definately on the cards now. What do you guys use on these harbour ledgends?

Yeah a new rod's definately on the cards now. What do you guys use on these harbour ledgends?

Smith rod, Saltiga rod and reels and a fishfinder custom rod.

Mind you these are all overkill for 99% of the fish we hook

Edited by VA911

ive got a 7ft 8kg ugly stick with shimano thunnus and this is ok for the average king but not really enough grunt in butt on bigger models.. my pride n joy is 24kg tcurve with tekota 600 (scored from fellow raider in swap/sell) and is an awsome weapon on those big boys but some of them hoods still pull 5kg of drag ... my next weapon is gonna be lever drag prob tyrnos 20/30 so its not as cumbersome with a big hood punishing you to go to sunset and give him some hurt back..... im sure tony at fishfinder can match a setup within your budget and if you have the $$$ his custom ones are awsome..... saving my bickies as i write this..mmmmmm

hope this helps.... cheers... steve.....

G'day King Slayer,

From the report I now realise we were watching you. You're not joking when you said you were calling for help. We saw all the chaos... if you weren't anchored you would have been towed all over the place in your little boat. Talk about fun!.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Raiders,

Didn't quite have the spare time to attend the social today, (even though it would have been nice to meet some of you guys since i'm only a newby), so I decided to just use the precious time I had for the kings, my new favourite adversary. I was by my self since my mates all had other stuff on, so Iwent out any way. After picking up plenty of livies and one little squid, it was off to my favourite spot X (Though not much of a secret). Quickly pulled in two nice little sampsons and I would have been fairly happy with that, but it gets better. It all went quiet for a while so I thought I'd join the 500 other guys at OMH, but i got over that pretty quickly.

I was almost going to head back in when I decided to give my fav spot one more go with my last hour of available time. Down go the livies and bang! I'm on to a fierce king :thumbup: , he went about 67cm. I wasn't really expecting it cause the other guys around were all a bit quiet. Still quite shaky from the battle I got my breath back the two lines go back down. not ten minutes passes when WHACK off goes the same rod and another even stronger beast (went about 70cms) makes it into the boat after some great runs (much respect to these fish). I thought surely that would be it fot the morning, but stuck on a couple more livies and downed lines. Was heading for the phone to brag to one of my mates who normally comes out with me and after one ring...s#@^ I threw down the phone as my rod doubles over again. By this stage a few others around were cheering me on and one guy yells out: "Mate you've got two on". I looked over and my second rod was jumping around, yelled out to the on-lookers.. Help! I think it must have been amusing to watch me struggle around the tinny like that.. Double hook up! :yahoo: My first on a solo mission. So I pulled up the first one which by this time was of course tangled around the other, the leader broke right at the end, but I already had my had on it by then, so in he came. with shaky hands undid the tangle and at that moment realised the second king had broken my rod and was still on! So fought him for a good while and finally he comes in and he's a biggun, well for me anyway at 76cms and my new PB :1clap: Took a quick pic of the broken rod and the two kings that nearly gave me a heart attack and decided to release the first one since I already has three plus the Sampsons. He swam off happily and I was left with one broken rod, and my other with the leader detached. Had run out of time and anyway my esky was getting pretty full. So off I went back to the ramp to make it back to my dear wife by the promised time.

Had a lot of fun today and spotted some raiders out too (I think). Wish I had time for the social, but will definately try harder next time one's on.

Cheers all and see you on the water next time!

Well I was one of those yelling and cheering.

What king slayer didnt tell us is that his boat is a very small tinnie that was chock a block with gear and he was by himself and he was catching kingfish like nothing.

He was jumping all over the place and imagine what happens what happens when on one side of the boat he gets a king thats pulls the rod tip over the side of the boat into the water, a real hoodlum and then 30 seconds into it his other rod goes off. It also had a huge curve in it.

Then snap the rod he is holding breaks and you are still being dragged around. At one stage I saw him, he was lying over the side of the boat trying to get hold of the trace. Did you enjoy the kingfish shower of the tail hitting the water.

The other rod was still going like crazy.

A fishermans nightmare or fantasy.

Excellent work in the end.

David.

Hi Lancer,

Glad you enjoyed the show :biggrin2: . Me and my regular fishing mate have ordered (Finally) a new tinny, which is a bit bigger, new and should be a whole lot more comfortable. Be out there in a few weeks to test her out after a bit of time in the work shop. :1fishing1:

Great read there King Slayer- Good to hear you're staying true to you name. Not very considerate of those damn kings to double hookup on you while you're by yourself, and to snap your rod into the bargain, well that's plain rude. :1prop:

Congrats on the new PB. That a solid fish for the harbour.

G'day mate,

I just had to write and say that was a sensational effort. I pointed you out to Geoff as you were fighting the king with the broken rod... I say's to Geoff, hey, have a look at where the top section of that bloke's rod is........ :074::074:

We were a bit busy ourselves :biggrin2: so didn't see you land the fish, to be honest I didn't think you would but very glad to see you did.

Legend.

Cheers

David.