New Softies Threadline

yellow submarine

i'm in the market for a new threadline for casting soft plastics, targeting bream, flatties, salmon, bass and snapper. I currently have a 6'6" strudwick and was looking for advise on what type reel I should buy based on your experiences. y budget is currently around the $250 to $300 mark. Unfortunately anything over this mark requires approval from the missus. :wife: The guys at the tackle store were pushing a Shimano Stradic 2500 for about $260.

Any thoughts????

I own a Stradic 2500FH & I use it constantly & I'm very pleased with it. Lays fireline very well & I very rarely get loops. No hesistation in recommending that model.

The price you have quoted at $260 sounds a bit expensive to me. It would be worth ringing Australian Bass Angler & speaking to Mick R or send him a PM from here & get a price. Mention you are a member here & you will get looked after. :biggrin2:

As Ken mentioned give Mick R a call at the australian bass angler. Recently they had a sale on reels that were on the shelf to clear stock and a shimano sustain (next model up from stradic) was 4sale around the low $300 mark. They can post tackle if u r not in the area. Wish they were that price when I purchased mine :1tongue:

I also just found a a japanese website which resells Shimano gear at considerable discount. Check it out http://www.plat.co.jp.

I have also heard on the rumor mill that the latest Stradic has problems when the drag is locked (e.g. trying to pull bream out of oyster leases or stopping kings goiing into structure). Apparently the drag pads warp under this type of presssure. Can anyone confirm or disprove these rumors.

Obviously you get what you pay for.

Cheers again.

Any of the reels mentioned have their probs occasionally. I have had problems with my sustain bearings but it was fixed immediately and at no cost by shimano so no sweat off my nose. If u r worried about problems buy locally and make use of the 10 year warranty, if not then importing from platco is definately cheaper so u will be able to get a better quality reel or save money. In any case the only 2500 size reel that has any sort of capability of stopping kings near structure may be the Daiwa custom certate but double your budget and I even have doubts about that reel doing the job as it is hard to stop them on overhead reels with heavy line. The 2500 stradic is an excellent value for money reel for the initial purpose u mentioned eg. general spinning for flatties, bream, salmon etc and will handle occasional rats in open country. The 1500 size luvias is unreal value at $330 but the line capacity might be pushing it chasing salmon and it doesn't come with a spare spool for changing your line stength which may be needed for the general fish range u r chasing. If u want to chase kings in close to rocks etc u r looking at the wrong type/size of reel. Who ever told u the drag washers warp are not using the reel for what it is designed for, general estuary fishing. Of course it will warp if u continually burn it out on hard running kings or doing the drag up so tight that it doesn't let line out when fishing for bream in the racks. Hope this helps, choose what u want the reel to do before making a choice on which one. Unfortunately one reel can't do all these things.

I own and have used both Stradics and Capricorns and they are all first class reels. Of the two personally I prefer the Capricorns, the drag is better and we all know about Shimano's continuing problems with corroding bearings. The only down side to the Cap's is the weight, the are heavier than the Shimano's and they dont come in a 1000 size.

Recently I have purchased a Quantum Energy PTi10, it is an amazing little reel that has some good innovations. It uses ceramic drag washers in between the metal ones to reduce heat (drag is super smooth), has a magnetic bail trip (this thing is awesome). They also have a rather interesting alloy finish that is unique to each reel. Again the only downside to these little jems are the weight and also the fact that they are only available in the US. I got mine landed for around the $200 mark, worth checking out.

Cheers

Windy