Help With Identification

tumra

Question

Hey guys,

Caught a number of these fish while fishing in the canals on the Gold Coast over the weekend. Can anyone identify it for me... For a guy used to catching bream in Sydney it was good fun catching a different species of fish.

post-3623-1204074381_thumb.jpg

Different view of a bigger species

post-3623-1204074434_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Anthony

16 answers to this question

I don't think it could be a Tarwhine... they have an even more rounded head than Bream. I think it's a bream but perhaps with some sort of local characteristics of an isolated population??? It seems to have all the other charateristics of a Yellowfin Bream.

Maybe we're seeing the evolution of a new species... the Super Bream. Natures response to Soft Plastics and the ABT???

Cheers, Slinky

nah, we caught a number of bream during the day as well... this fish was alot longer and skinner than yellow fin bream...

Yeah - you're right tumra.

The mouth is definitely wrong for a bream - looks almost like a whiting's mouth, and the fish overall has a 'jewie' look to it (although maybe it's just me). It's definitely not a tarwhine - as slinky points out their heads are even rounder than a bream.

A true mystery - maybe this is a hybrid?

Hmmmmm, I think it is just the angle of the 2nd photo that makes the head look like a whiting (which it does ....) It could just be an underfed bream that was a bit 'slabby', like a badly conditioned trout! They can look pretty ordinary, too!

It does have that extra silvery sides that a Tarwhine has tho ..... that big anal fin (the sharp one at the front of the back lot) looks like pure bream to me! They always have a Big OneI find that Tarwhine usually have a defined line along their flank too.

Hey Mods, do we have a gallery of good photos of the more common fish? I know the 'amonline' is available, but if you are not astute in noticing the exact difference of specific fin shape & things, it can lead to an incorrect identification, don't you find!?

A tricky one!! Got any more photos??? Could be a baby jewie, I guess, but the shape still doesn't quite fit!

Jewgaffer, where are you for an adjudication???

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

it probably is just a bream, but a different type, like it is a slightly different shape as a pikey or boney bream are slightly different shaped to yellowfin or silver bream most of us are used to. Not sure what this one is though, i've found that black bream i've caught in Sydney are a bit different in shape to the ones i got in Port Douglas so maybe that could be still a yellowfin...?

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Its a juvenile javelin fish :biggrin2:

Spotted Javelin Fish (Pomadasys hasta Bloch )

Local Common Names: Grunter

post-256-1204102931_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

mate thats what it looks like.... and it does grunt when you try to get the hook out.... they any good to eat???

they taste absolutely tops, chicken of the sea! many of the old blokes who fish the estuaries in north qld prefer them to barra on the table and i would have to agree with them.

the texture of their flesh when cooked is actualy more similar to chicken than fish.

Edited by frangkie