Shimano Saros

mikey85

Hey all,

The mrs brought me a Shimano Rack raider for my birthday and i'm looking for a reel to suit it. Will be used for SP of course and my initial thought for a reel was going to be the symetre but then i noticed the new Saros and after reading this review (http://www.steelheadstalkers.com/saros_review.htm) I think I might give it a go.

Still a bit unsure of what size to go, 1000 or 2500, I was wondering if any of you lads have given this reel a go. I like the new lip design.

Cheers,

- Mikey

Edited by Mikey1

G'day Mikey,

I don't know the Saros but in relation to size I'd reccomend the 2500 unless you'll only ever use the reel for ultra tiny jigs.

I've got Symetres and Stradics in both sizes so have had plenty of opportunity to compare them. The 2500 is much more versatile (in both models). I use it for ultra light applications like flicking tiny softies around, for nearly all my bait catching of squid/yakkas/slimeys, casting to salmon schools off the heads, right up to catching kings on stick baits (although only in open water... anywhere around a marker bouy and you'll see me with a 4000-6000 size reel).

The 2500 feels perfectly balanced on both my single-handed flick sticks (a 7'2" Berkley Drop Shot being my favourite) and my heavier 4-6kg rods (a Strudwick Sic Stick Pro 7' is my favourite). The 1000 feels tiny on anything other than my lightest single-handed 1-3kg flick stick. (but I'm a big bloke with big hands)

Both sizes are good reels so I'd try to borrow one of each of any Shimano model in the 2 sizes, just to see which one you like the feel of best.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Mikey,

I also have a raider, i nearly opted for the Saros but ended up going for a Daiwa Exceller Plus which has turned out to be a great reel for it. I reckon the 2500 would be a better option as it would be well balanced weight wise and having that extra line capacity could come in handy when using it for salmon, kings etc as the raider is capable of handling them.

Good luck

Josh

hey mikey,

i have a shimano rackraider with a sahara 1500 on it with 6lb braid and i have landed large salmon, dolphinfish to 80cm and other fish to 5kg on this outfit without a hassel. i have no doubt that i can land a king on this outfit and cant wait to hook somthing over 5kg on it. although the 2500 holds more line and can probably push more drag the 1000 will still do the job.but this is my opinion and you may like heavy tackle.

xib

Edited by xib

Cheers guys, guess no ones used the saros yet. I might just grab a stradic then, 2500.

Can't go wrong with them mate. I've got 2 2500's a 4000 a 1000 and yesterday bought one of the 5000's from Go Fish at their sale. I love the look of the new upgraded spool lip in particular and still just as tough and just as good value.

Cheers, Slinky

Can't go wrong with them mate. I've got 2 2500's a 4000 a 1000 and yesterday bought one of the 5000's from Go Fish at their sale. I love the look of the new upgraded spool lip in particular and still just as tough and just as good value.

Cheers, Slinky

I picked up the 1000 stradic today at GoFish. Just happened to have a job to do at dural.

As I was reading this post the missus came home from work early and I had to quickly shove it down the side of the lounge :1prop: There is currently a no new rod/reel pact that I apparently agreed to.

Felt a bit like a kid caught with his hand in the bicky tin.

Dave

I picked up the 1000 stradic today at GoFish. Just happened to have a job to do at dural.

As I was reading this post the missus came home from work early and I had to quickly shove it down the side of the lounge :1prop: There is currently a no new rod/reel pact that I apparently agreed to.

Felt a bit like a kid caught with his hand in the bicky tin.

Dave

:Funny-Post::074::074:

Dave....

Everyone knows that you get rid of the box in the garage and make sure you leave a bunch of rods with reels mounted lying around with at least one rod minus reel. Then you could have mounted your Stradic and it would have been "just one of my old reels that I'm going to respool". :wife::wife::wife:

It worked for my 5000 that I picked up on Thursday.

Got to love the more compact body and the new spool lip profile on the new Stradics.

Cheers, Slinky

PS.... Mrs davemmm, if you're reading this it's all lies and I'm just some Raider trying to cause trouble.

PPS.. Mrs Slinky, if you're reading this it's all davemmm's fault. He's a bad influence.

PPPS. Gofish Pete, it's really all your fault for having a sale. You should offer a marriage counseling service with every new Stradic purchase.

1 More thing, just after a braid to chuck these little SP's 1000 miles away.

Can't decide between

- Fins

- Nitlon

- or Bass Hard

In 6lb.

Any suggestions ??

(i've read through the forums but most of the posts are out of date)

Cheers,

-Mikey

G'day again Mikey,

the number of brands you'll get recommended with a question like that is only limited by the number of people who reply. You'll never get consensus.

All I'd suggest is buy any one of the well known good quality brands and you're unlikely to be disappointed. I use Platypus Super Braid or Bionic Braid on nearly all my outfits and I love it but you'll get exactly the same comment for about 10 other brands.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey all,

The mrs brought me a Shimano Rack raider for my birthday and i'm looking for a reel to suit it. Will be used for SP of course and my initial thought for a reel was going to be the symetre but then i noticed the new Saros and after reading this review (http://www.steelheadstalkers.com/saros_review.htm) I think I might give it a go.

Still a bit unsure of what size to go, 1000 or 2500, I was wondering if any of you lads have given this reel a go. I like the new lip design.

Cheers,

- Mikey

Hi Mate

Dont know if you are still deciding on what reel to buy , but I bought a Saros 4000 and love it I have Diawa , Penn , none of them match the smoothness of this reel and the light weight feel is great I have managed to blood it with a couple of flathead and small Jewies I cant complain about it and for the price its great and dose the job but each to their own.

Regards

Matt