Line Twists

katsuo

Dear Fishraider members,

I hope someone can assist me.

I started using braid for the first time. I have a 15lb braid and it tends to kink up when I cast it. Just like a kink in a backyard hose. Does anyone know a way to prevent it from happening?

The reel im using is a Shimano Seido 4000FA

with Sufix Matrix pro Super Braid.

Kind regards,

Katsuo

post-6570-1204275307_thumb.jpg

post-6570-1204275611_thumb.jpg

there are a few causes, you could be closing the bail arm to quickly causing the line to loosley fall back onto the spool. when you reel your line in always have an appropriate amount of tension on the line using your index finger. it could also be the problem with the quality of the braid.

there are a few causes, you could be closing the bail arm to quickly causing the line to loosley fall back onto the spool. when you reel your line in always have an appropriate amount of tension on the line using your index finger. it could also be the problem with the quality of the braid.

Good evening Davy,

Thank you for your advice.

Yes your right I am closing the Bail arm too quickly. I will make sure the line falls back onto the spool properly next time and keep some tention when reeling.

Would you recomend a good quality braid for my reference next time.

Cheers,

Katsuo

....Would you recomend a good quality braid for my reference next time.

Cheers,

Katsuo

Hi Katsuo I'm sure Davy will help you with this one. In the meantime in my opinion Tuff Line is one of the better braid lines and it's very forgiving in most casting situations.

I enjoyed the post you sent from Japan. I noticed the photo of a seriola kingfish taken in a restaurant. Is that variety digestable then?

That live octopus sushimi was a bit tricky. Maybe it's better to remove the tentacles?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Katsuo I'm sure Davy will help you with this one. In the meantime in my opinion Tuff Line is one of the better braid lines and it's very forgiving in most casting situations.

I enjoyed the post you sent from Japan. I noticed the photo of a seriola kingfish taken in a restaurant. Is that variety digestable then?

That live octopus sushimi was a bit tricky. Maybe it's better to remove the tentacles?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks jewgaffer, I will keep 'tuff line' in mind for future.

Oh I didnt know that picture I posted was a 'seriola kingfish' im guessing you can only catch these beasts if you have access to a boat. The sushi restaurant would have recieved that kingfish freshly caught same day. and then served straight away for the customers. Japanese people only like fresh sashimi.

Live Octopus sashimi? not sure about that one. Basically if you want to eat octopus as sashimi you only eat the legs.

post-6570-1204317143_thumb.jpg

Everyone has their own opinions on Braid , but here at Team Flightmanager we only use 3 , Schneider (amber) , Rapala (blue) or the Berkely Fire Line (pink , not green). Mostly 6-10 pound , and have had no problems with any of them .

Ross

And you should know all about this subject Ross (Being the King of "Kink") :074:

Hehehehe

Stumpy

Dear Fishraider members,

I hope someone can assist me.

I started using braid for the first time. I have a 15lb braid and it tends to kink up when I cast it. Just like a kink in a backyard hose. Does anyone know a way to prevent it from happening?

The reel im using is a Shimano Seido 4000FA

with Sufix Matrix pro Super Braid.

Kind regards,

Katsuo

hey dude... your problem is you are using suffix braid...its rubbish, try fireline and you'll never look back...

i went through the saga of discovering suffix was crap already...

Thanks jewgaffer, I will keep 'tuff line' in mind for future.

....Live Octopus sashimi? not sure about that one. Basically if you want to eat octopus as sashimi you only eat the legs.

Oh I see katsuo. You only eat them after they stop wriggling :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :D

Suffix isnt all bad, i rekon the mono is of some quality.

Katsuo, As with braid, im currently only using sunline braid. 6lb in the Super PE for estuary plastics.

For small pelagics and such, ive got the Castaway in 16lb.

Fireline is OK as well, but ive had some wind knot issues with the lighter lb classes.

Hope this helps, cheers.

hmm, this sounds like you may not have spooled it on correctly, causing the line to twist when you cast i.e. when it unwinds.

it is quite important to put line on in the same rotation that it comes of the spool off the original spool.

also important to have a fair bit of tension when spooling up otherwise, your line will dig in to the rest of the spool when a fish pulls drag when you reel it in.

hmm, this sounds like you may not have spooled it on correctly, causing the line to twist when you cast i.e. when it unwinds.

it is quite important to put line on in the same rotation that it comes of the spool off the original spool.

also important to have a fair bit of tension when spooling up otherwise, your line will dig in to the rest of the spool when a fish pulls drag when you reel it in.

Hi Stylo,

Thanks for the advice! one problem eliminated. I re-spooled my line off and on again using the spare spool that came with my reel. Had 40~50 casts yesterday with no problems.

Cheers,

katsuo

Good stuff !! :thumbup:

by the way .. did you use monofilament backing before you spooled the braid onto your spool ??!!

Hi Stylo,

Yes I have monofilament backing. By the way how much back should i have? I have it backed up maybe two layers.

Do you know what monofilament is good for 15lb braid?

Cheers, Katsuo

Edited by katsuo

Hi Stylo,

Yes I have monofilament backing. By the way how much back should i have? I have it backed up maybe two layers.

Do you know what monofilament is good for 15lb braid?

Cheers, Katsuo

mono is used for 2 reasons:

1) prevent slipping

2) save you money i.e. so u do not need to use as much braid on the reel

what I would do is use similar mono line strength as the braid, so 15lb mono.

i would use as much mono as possible in order to get the braid to about 3-4mm off the lip of the spool

mono is used for 2 reasons:

1) prevent slipping

2) save you money i.e. so u do not need to use as much braid on the reel

what I would do is use similar mono line strength as the braid, so 15lb mono.

i would use as much mono as possible in order to get the braid to about 3-4mm off the lip of the spool

Hi Stylo, Thanks for the info. much appreciated.

And a BIG THANK YOU to the fishraider members for all your help. I find this forum to be a great site for all your fishing needs.

Happy fisherman, Katsuo :thumbup:

Easy way to get the correct amount of backing is to put all of the braid onto your spare spool , then add backing until 3-4mm from the edge of the spool. Then just transfer the whole lot onto your main spool! Takes all the guess work out of it !!

Ross

Easy way to get the correct amount of backing is to put all of the braid onto your spare spool , then add backing until 3-4mm from the edge of the spool. Then just transfer the whole lot onto your main spool! Takes all the guess work out of it !!

Ross

Hi Ross,

Thats an excellent tip. Will have to use it. Can't believe the wealth of knowledge everyone has here at Fishraider.

Cheers Katsuo.

my mate fishes with suffics he always gets line twists

Would it be how he spools on his mainline?

i use suffix mono and i spool by having the label face me so that it goes off the spool onto the reel in the same manner. no probs for me there.

exactly... this is my first solution for line twist and it works 4 outta 5 times

stripping all the line off on a beach and rewinding under tension can help the cause

ross thats a great tip with using another reel to work out backing needs

ian

I re-spooled my line onto the spare reel and then back on the main line.

I have had no more line twists. Suffix is doing a great job now.

Haha, great news !!

Now get out there and catch some fish !! :yahoo:

Would it be how he spools on his mainline?

i use suffix mono and i spool by having the label face me so that it goes off the spool onto the reel in the same manner. no probs for me there.

we dont fish mono we fish braid and we spool the same way u said

we dont fish mono we fish braid and we spool the same way u said

I also noticed when I started getting line twists I had my spool filled up too much, I allowed at least 3~4 mm gap from the edge. This might help as well i think.

post-6570-1205313280_thumb.jpg