Out Wide

clifford

Hi to all been a while since we have been out so my mate Paul and myself went out on wednesday, we hit the boat ramp at 530 and made our way to 12 mile where we dropped our lures. It was about 830 when we hit the shelf when the 50 on the right hand rigger went off, my mate Paul grabbed the rod and held on as it ran i started to clear the deck when he told me he was running out of line so i left the last rod out and turned the boat around and started the chase. When we got most of the line back i pulled the last rod in. This is it we said as the marlin started to jump put on a good show for us this went on for about half an hour or so then it started to dive down, we plain the fish to the surface a couple of times before it took one last big run this took 3/4 of our reel down deep we sat fighting this marlin for about an hour and a half now and it was not kicking any more everytime we would drive the boat down current all it would do is take more line off the reel it did not plain the marlin. By now we had swopped and i was fighting the marlin, this went on for about another half an hour when the line gave way :1prop: .

We guessed the marlin had died down deep our tail rapped but one thing is it was like a dead wait on the line.

We reset the rods, being that we had last all the line on the 50 i pulled out my tld30 to make 4 rods in the spread about 3 hours went by when we had another hit but it was the tld that went off. The marlin did a great jump as it hit the lure then took off like a bat out of hell we where in trouble it was not as big as the first one but big enough to empty my reel very quike. As we chased this one it started to jump then nothing i reeled the line thinking it was swimming our way, after winding for a while we relised that thy line had snapped :mad3: this was strange as it was new line .

We trolled for another 4 hours with no more hits, over all we had a great day and learnt alot as we tryed a diffrent set up this time and it came threw.

I would like to thank Dave, Daniel and angry warnie for all of there advice on tech and style.

Thanks Clifford

Shame about losing both fish, Clifford, specially the first one after all that time & effort!! Seems to be the week for catching Marlin, eh???

Ah well, chalk it up to experience ..... you'll be better prepared for the next one!

Cheerio

Roberta

Shame about losing both fish, Clifford, specially the first one after all that time & effort!! Seems to be the week for catching Marlin, eh???

Ah well, chalk it up to experience ..... you'll be better prepared for the next one!

Cheerio

Roberta

Not as good as the effort up north by the yaks that was a nice marlin and sensational effort.

Fingers crossed we are going up north to ps next weekend if all goes well :1fishing1: .

thanks clifford

Hi to all been a while since we have been out so my mate Paul and myself went out on wednesday, we hit the boat ramp at 530 and made our way to 12 mile where we dropped our lures. It was about 830 when we hit the shelf when the 50 on the right hand rigger went off, my mate Paul grabbed the rod and held on as it ran i started to clear the deck when he told me he was running out of line so i left the last rod out and turned the boat around and started the chase. When we got most of the line back i pulled the last rod in. This is it we said as the marlin started to jump put on a good show for us this went on for about half an hour or so then it started to dive down, we plain the fish to the surface a couple of times before it took one last big run this took 3/4 of our reel down deep we sat fighting this marlin for about an hour and a half now and it was not kicking any more everytime we would drive the boat down current all it would do is take more line off the reel it did not plain the marlin. By now we had swopped and i was fighting the marlin, this went on for about another half an hour when the line gave way :1prop: .

We guessed the marlin had died down deep our tail rapped but one thing is it was like a dead wait on the line.

We reset the rods, being that we had last all the line on the 50 i pulled out my tld30 to make 4 rods in the spread about 3 hours went by when we had another hit but it was the tld that went off. The marlin did a great jump as it hit the lure then took off like a bat out of hell we where in trouble it was not as big as the first one but big enough to empty my reel very quike. As we chased this one it started to jump then nothing i reeled the line thinking it was swimming our way, after winding for a while we relised that thy line had snapped :mad3: this was strange as it was new line .

We trolled for another 4 hours with no more hits, over all we had a great day and learnt alot as we tryed a diffrent set up this time and it came threw.

I would like to thank Dave, Daniel and angry warnie for all of there advice on tech and style.

Thanks Clifford

Well Clifford

Let me say the first thing for you to do is recheck that your drag settings on the reel are correct this is of vital importance

to you even if you go to the extent of doing so before every trip.....

i my self tend to go a bit over the 1/3 rd drag setting and am not advocating for you do likewise but

more for the fact of illustrating the point of been confident in the tackle and knot's been used.....

i have come to the conclusion and i know a lot of the boys will not necesseraly agree with me here

but i see the conversation rate of hookup with marlin in trailer boats starting off in the early stages like yourself improve out of sight by useing a wind on leader .........

it will give you so much more latitude at the buisness end from abrasion with the fish being from contact from tail kicks....bill swipes and the like

as well as more protection from the fish landing on the wind on after jumping than as assaposed to the line

keep your leader's to the lures around the 2 mtr mark allowing you to bring the fish alongside the boat for you

to easily grab a hold of its bill for hook removal or take pic's etc...

use one around the 250-300lb if need be......start off with outfit's on both your riggers and see how you fare...i bet if you do the above it will result in a totaly differant result....

Clifford i doubt the marlin you mentioned tail wrapped itself or died but more likely to of had its head down and been stubborn

this is were the drag setting is vital in helping maintain that constant pressure and after that amount of time

differant tatics may have to be applied to get a better angle on the line the first most preffered choice is

to drive off the fish and we are not talking 20 mtrs off it........it can take what seems a hell ov a lot of the spool to get the angle to flatten out and can quite often take repeated go's at times....last week i fought a blue marlin on 37kg stand up on sunset for an hour and a half doing just that to try and subdue him

with the leader eventually giving out in the end....

keep at it.... and if you do go up to port PM me and i will give you the marks to were it's happening presently

there's sure enough action around to keep you on your tippy toes.....

Cheers Warnie...

Well Clifford

Let me say the first thing for you to do is recheck that your drag settings on the reel are correct this is of vital importance

to you even if you go to the extent of doing so before every trip.....

i my self tend to go a bit over the 1/3 rd drag setting and am not advocating for you do likewise but

more for the fact of illustrating the point of been confident in the tackle and knot's been used.....

i have come to the conclusion and i know a lot of the boys will not necesseraly agree with me here

but i see the conversation rate of hookup with marlin in trailer boats starting off in the early stages like yourself improve out of sight by useing a wind on leader .........

it will give you so much more latitude at the buisness end from abrasion with the fish being from contact from tail kicks....bill swipes and the like

as well as more protection from the fish landing on the wind on after jumping than as assaposed to the line

keep your leader's to the lures around the 2 mtr mark allowing you to bring the fish alongside the boat for you

to easily grab a hold of its bill for hook removal or take pic's etc...

use one around the 250-300lb if need be......start off with outfit's on both your riggers and see how you fare...i bet if you do the above it will result in a totaly differant result....

Clifford i doubt the marlin you mentioned tail wrapped itself or died but more likely to of had its head down and been stubborn

this is were the drag setting is vital in helping maintain that constant pressure and after that amount of time

differant tatics may have to be applied to get a better angle on the line the first most preffered choice is

to drive off the fish and we are not talking 20 mtrs off it........it can take what seems a hell ov a lot of the spool to get the angle to flatten out and can quite often take repeated go's at times....last week i fought a blue marlin on 37kg stand up on sunset for an hour and a half doing just that to try and subdue him

with the leader eventually giving out in the end....

keep at it.... and if you do go up to port PM me and i will give you the marks to were it's happening presently

there's sure enough action around to keep you on your tippy toes.....

Cheers Warnie...

Thanks for that Warnie ill try driving off the marlin alot futher next time as we tried it a few times but not that far, more worried about the spool. I have got in the practice of retieing all my riggs, checking my lures and wind on leaders i think i should have taken your advice earler and got rid of the tld 30, not any more ive just orderd a tld 50 to put in its place.

Ill send you a pm this week if weather is good that would be fantastic.

Thanks Clifford