Electric Reels & Winches

aussie big bob

Ok Raiders

I thought I would ask the question. How many fellow raiders are now using electric reels and winches?

It would be good to find our what type of reels and winches you are using and for what style of fishing.

It would also be good to find out what are your thoughts on their performance.

I know their will be many that think this is a lazy way of fishing,

And their is going to be many that will have some other colourful description on this topic.

But this is not why the topic has been started. I myself am a user of electric reel's and would hope that with this topic we may be able to help others that may be heading down this path to make the right choice for their needs as we have already made that decision.

Ok I am the proud owner of two-tanacom bull 1000; both are spooled with approx 900mt of 80lb braid. :thumbup: These reels are used in water beyond 200mt. I have used these many times at browns (400 to 500mt with 3kg sinker) and have had double hook up on both green eye sharks and deep-sea perch. I have found the reel's to handle this situation quite well.

I have fished with other raiders at browns running both reels of one battery , done approx 10-12 drops each, ¾ of these drops having fish on the return trip, so most of the times on the return trip there was load on the reel. The battery seemed to handle this fine as well.

I have also caught the bottom of the mountain :ranting2: a few times as well and let me tell you the reel had no problem bending the 24kg penn rod it was mounted on. My deepest drops has been in excess of 700mts

I still have not yet caught a blue eye or gemmie on one of these reels but would like to know if there is someone who has and how the reel went.

I am also the proud owner of a marine power 3000 spooled with approx 1600mts 125lb braid mounted on a 37kg custom built rod, :yahoo: but since its purchase some 3 months ago the weather has been crap so have not used it yet.

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

• 1 month later...

Aussie bob,

I have been looking into buying an electric reel i have been looking at the same tunacom 1000 as you have or a miya epoch reel.

Do you have any thoughts as to how they both compare, by the sounds of it your two will pull most things up.

Thanks

LUke

Hi Bob,

I was just interested in the types of rods you are running these reels over mate,

are the rods rollered and if so is there any issue at all with the braid running over and catching in the rollers at all?

Ide imagine braid pulling that type of weight up from a few hundred metres wouldnt be too good for normal guides.

Cheers mate

Allen

Aussie bob,

I have been looking into buying an electric reel i have been looking at the same tunacom 1000 as you have or a miya epoch reel.

Do you have any thoughts as to how they both compare, by the sounds of it your two will pull most things up.

Thanks

LUke

Luke

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I have not used the miya epoch but did look at them before i purchased my first tanacom.

The thing that turned me to the tanacom was i must say it the brand the line cap and the retrive rate.

I was so happy with the tanacom in the area of deep drop that i purchased another 3 as i memtioned I have

2 left out of the four that i had ended up with.

I would also like to add with the sale of the two that i have just sold i will be replaceing them with two hyper drive tanacoms.

Over all i can say that there has been no regret in buying the tanacom's and i have been very happy with them in all types of fishing i have put them threw.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Hi Bob,

I was just interested in the types of rods you are running these reels over mate,

are the rods rollered and if so is there any issue at all with the braid running over and catching in the rollers at all?

Ide imagine braid pulling that type of weight up from a few hundred metres wouldnt be too good for normal guides.

Cheers mate

Allen

Allen

The rods i use are penn 24kg full guides. The reason why i went with guides is that the 80LB braid they make today is so thin that i was very concerned that if i went to rollers that there was a possible chance that the line could jump at the tip and jam in behind the roller.

I would like to hear from others if any that use roller rods or tip.

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Allen

The rods i use are penn 24kg full guides. The reason why i went with guides is that the 80LB braid they make today is so thin that i was very concerned that if i went to rollers that there was a possible chance that the line could jump at the tip and jam in behind the roller.

I would like to hear from others if any that use roller rods or tip.

cheers

bob

hi guys,

some mates and i have been playing with a 12" winch out at browns, and it has handled tripple hook ups on blue eye and gemmies ok (hard work but ok..) just ordered and 18" winch, should make life a bit easier!!

hi guys,

some mates and i have been playing with a 12" winch out at browns, and it has handled tripple hook ups on blue eye and gemmies ok (hard work but ok..) just ordered and 18" winch, should make life a bit easier!!

livinthedream

are you talking about hand operated one

cheers

bob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Big-Banana

I'm in the process of making my own, just got a slight issue with the gearing, atm it's reeling in a 85 meters per minutes, gotta add a gear and slow that down.

Just gotta buy some braid, looking at $400 for 1500m of 150lb :1yikes:

Guest Big-Banana

I'd prefer to once I'm finished m,ate, a lot of work has gone into it on the lathe and doing a tonne of research, but to give you an idea, it's a fully custom spool, all high grade aluminium, it has a 2kW motor which retrieves, under no load around 130 meters a minute, it has a manual wind handle for lifts off the bottom. Runs on a 12V battery. The spool can carry around 1500m of line. The way it's currently gear it can retrieve at around 80m per minute, we're looking to slow that even further. We have a windscreen wiper motor acting as our line spreader.

Interesting as a friend was looking at doing one as he has access to mobility scooter motors that are quite powerful ,good torque and already have the full variable speed set up with toothed drive belts. Hadn't thought into the line spreader as he was thinking a 24 inch spool like a big alvey. It was going to be bulky to store though.

Guest Big-Banana

We changed the design due to storage. Torque is crucial. Good luck with the project, let us know how you go.

Have ridden one of these and with 80kg on board on a damp road the 36v one still spun the wheel. Being a bike motor they are pretty well sealed and bigger ones have both disc brake and regernerative brakes for the drop. Quality powerful motors as they couldn't carry heavy batteries. Easy to adapt

http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Bike-hub-motors-.html

http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/bikesale/bsale.htm

http://www.evehicle.com.au/PowerPedEMTB%20Backtrack.shtml

Powerped Brushless Planetary geared motors

Planetary gears spread out the load over the gears and are well balanced. They also provide the highest torque compare to all other motors and have a long life span. Their torque can reach 25 – 35Nm for a 200 – 350W motor. Older style brushed motors or non geared brushless used by many of our competitors are only capable of 8-15Nm of torque for the same power output and consumption. Powerped geared brushless type motors are excellent energy savers and they are a new trend in the electric bikes where the light weight is a main priority. They can provide the same torque as a motor twice more powerful and have the same range with a battery twice as small. ALL our Powerped Bikes use these types of motors. All Electric bikes should have all geared motors which increases their torque and reduces the battery drainage.

Still researching best track to take

Edited by pelican

Hi Big Bob...

I'm personally not into the electric reels myself prefering to still do it the labour intensive way....

but i do have a few mates that have used them for quite a few years now and in all cases i have noticed

they all have 360 degree roller tips fitted to the rod's.....as opposed to a fixed roller this may be worth

you looking into....

in the mean time i have to ask the question i understand that electric reels make the task obviuosly easier

but in your eyes do you feel that it translate into a better catch rate?????

i myself enjoy the workout with the deck winches and feel that going over to electric may detract and take

away what little joy there is in hauling up a feed from 1500 odd foot of water...

is it due totally to the effort involved with the winches that you prefer to use rod and electric reel or is there

other underlining reason's behind it????????..

Cheers Warnie

Guest Big-Banana

Why would you have a fixed roller? I've got a steel bar which extends 2 foot to allow the line to sick clear of the hull. Should work well.

Of course it translates into a better catch rate, theres less time reeling up thinking and not knowing you've got a fish on. This way you've got the bait in the water long and more chance.

I love the idea of fishing depths of up to probably 800m deep.

The only reason I'm making mine is that it's a good time passer when the 'fin are slow. It's a long way to go with nothing to show...

Why would you have a fixed roller? I've got a steel bar which extends 2 foot to allow the line to sick clear of the hull. Should work well.

Of course it translates into a better catch rate, theres less time reeling up thinking and not knowing you've got a fish on. This way you've got the bait in the water long and more chance.

I love the idea of fishing depths of up to probably 800m deep.

The only reason I'm making mine is that it's a good time passer when the 'fin are slow. It's a long way to go with nothing to show...

Big Banana....

why would you have a fixed roller?????? well i guess thats why i was offering the suggestion of such i see a hell of a lot been used out there and they all seem to look like there useing fully rollered rods with a rollertip thats fixed...

i can see the advantages in useing a 360 degree roller tip and suggest its worth researching into...

as for not knowing you have a fish on !!!!!!!!!!!!!! well i doubdt if there is ever a time when i have not known if i have a fish on or not..... for they soon let you know about it.....that is got to be one of the advantage's of been able to directly feel and gauge it when doing by hand.......as for less time reeling up.....you have me there.....

in regards to a electric reel translating directly into a better catch rate over a deck winch......

that could be argued till the cows come home.... i contend in the fact it only takes the hard work out of

the equation

as i said im not into useing them as i cant justify with the cost of the outlay involved..

but thats just my reason behind it...... if electric reels suit the situation better for you then go for it

whilst im happy with the catch results provided by my good old winch i will be sticking to such

as they adequently do the job for me...

Cheers Warnie...

Guest Big-Banana

I'll be fishing a little deeper than the rest of the blokes, not all that interested in a big fish kill, just interested in whats down there.

post-2950-1210558813_thumb.jpg

Im fishing with two miya epoch vx900's (1600m of 80lb) fixed to 7ft bent butts fitted with full bigfoot rollers.

I find these rods have a number of advantages over bent butt strokers, which I tried innitially, including.

They keep the line clear of the motor and prop when used in the rod holders

The big parabolic curve absorbs line shocks and boat roll a little better

We have been experimenting holding the rod rigged with Black Magic stand up gear and using standup butts and we reckon that this is the go.

We have used these outfits to 350fathoms .

post-2950-1210581702_thumb.jpg

17KG Barcod and 8kg King (out of sight) on one drop

Edited by Marlin01

I Have manual alvey winches myself, one reefmaster 12 inch and one reefqueen 14inch , i find the 12 inch better in rough conditions as it is one handle operation , and find that the ratio is easier to wind. As for electric , the miya epoch is a top reel ,spooled it up with 3000 metres of 200lb braid , used one last week and boy was it great to use . Will be down the coast next week using my mates , top investment if you ask me ... :1fishing1::1fishing1: Keep you posted :1fishing1: Cheers .. John

Miya Epoch . X 20.

post-692-1210601041_thumb.jpg

Hi Big Bob...

I'm personally not into the electric reels myself prefering to still do it the labour intensive way....

but i do have a few mates that have used them for quite a few years now and in all cases i have noticed

they all have 360 degree roller tips fitted to the rod's.....as opposed to a fixed roller this may be worth

you looking into....

in the mean time i have to ask the question i understand that electric reels make the task obviuosly easier

but in your eyes do you feel that it translate into a better catch rate?????

i myself enjoy the workout with the deck winches and feel that going over to electric may detract and take

away what little joy there is in hauling up a feed from 1500 odd foot of water...

is it due totally to the effort involved with the winches that you prefer to use rod and electric reel or is there

other underlining reason's behind it????????..

Cheers Warnie

Warnie

First of all i can absolutely say it does not improve your catch rate and it also does not decrease it either.

But the reason why I went to electric was that most times I fish buy myself and hauling 2 to three lines up from the bottom of browns by manual power can be some what of a challenge.

The other reason was to maximize the time I can spend on the bottom when I do get to get out there. The electric reels allow me to have two baits down and one ready to go.

So if you look at it this way, when one is on its way up the other is on its way down and I can tell you there is no way I could do this without the use of electric reels.

So the key point for electric reels is to MAXIMIZE what time you have on the water. I would also like to add that the thrill of fighting a fish of the bottom of browns is in no way any less doing it by electric or manual power. the only thing that is different is the time it takes.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by aussie big bob

I Have manual alvey winches myself, one reefmaster 12 inch and one reefqueen 14inch , i find the 12 inch better in rough conditions as it is one handle operation , and find that the ratio is easier to wind. As for electric , the miya epoch is a top reel ,spooled it up with 3000 metres of 200lb braid , used one last week and boy was it great to use . Will be down the coast next week using my mates , top investment if you ask me ... :1fishing1::1fishing1: Keep you posted :1fishing1: Cheers .. John

Miya Epoch . X 20.

post-692-1210601041_thumb.jpg

John

I was wondering what brand of braid you are using as i am the owner of a daiwa marine power 3000

and the best i can get on it is 1600 to 1700 of 125lb braid so i would be interested in the braid you use

which enables you to get 3000mts of 200lb on the x20

Model No.

Command X-20 (CX-20)

Reel Size:

13/0

Dimensions:

10" (W) x 8.5" (L) x 6" (H)

Weight: (lbs.)

11.7 lbs.

Max. Drag: (lbs.)

50 lbs to 100 lbs

Winding Speed:

(Rpm. No Load)

200~400 rpm.

Hoisting power:

(max. momentum lbs.)

46 ~ 137 lbx.. (Momentum)

Line capacity:

(Miya Dacron line)

1,100 yds. 80 lbs. Dacron

Current consumption:

3 ~ 22 AH D.C. 12 volt

DAIWA

Daiwa MARINE POWER 3000 High Power Electric Reel ( New in box ) With English Manual.

Specifications

PE Line capacity : #12(52Kg)/1400m, #30(100Kg)/600m

Max drag : 90Kg

Max rewind power : 80Kg

The rewind speed : 0 to 85 meters per minute

Gear ratio : 1.7:1 for manual winding

The reel weight : 5,500g

Function

! The depth memory

! The reel stops when the digital counter returns back to 0

Cheers

bob