Port Stephens

achilles

G'day all,

just wondering if anyone is heading up to Port Stephens for the trailer boat comp. Have fished port stephens my whole life but never gone out wide for dollies or marlin.

I just purchased a tagging pole and all the gear so i am wondering if anyone could tell me where i could get tags from and maybe some GPS locations and tips for marlin in the area....

cheers

Achilles, m8 try ringing the NSW DPI, they should be able to help you with tags or if you know any Game Fishing club members they might be able to help you out. Just a tip, prepare your tag pole beforehand, by mounting the tag on the tip and securing the actuall tag with a rubber band. a) it keeps the tag on ready for use and wont fall off tring to tag whatever. B) your not f@#$%^&G around looking for a tag, trying to fight a marlin whilst putting on a bill rope and putting a tag on the end lol.

Cant help you with GPS points and good luck1. M8 bellow is a photo of a vessel that took part in the interclub, and it is not the big Riv behind it, so take heart, pretty sure this bloke tagged 2 marlin on the first Sun of the comp.

Edited by smokinjoe

Tags from DPI at Cronulla. Worth calling the Research Centre at Taylor's Beach they might have some. DPI will also supply you with the applicator(s) for different tag types (sml pelagic, bill and shark)

edit: got smoked by Smokinjoe - gotta be quick!

Edited by Jigholio

14, 15, 16th march.....next week buddy

:ranting2:

Bugga

If I'd have known about that in Jan I would have arranged to get my boat up there & have a crack. Probably just as well, I have no clues on Marlin other than my experience at Port Stephens with Glenn Hunter, desperate to get into some serious gamefishing over the next few years. Hope you guys post some good reports to those that are going, anything to learn more is a huge help.

Good luck to all entrants. :byebye:

Hi Achilles, Heading up to PS next Thursday myself with a group of mates and 3 boats. Staying at Halifax where all the action is. The best part of the comp is the comaradery between all involved in the comp. Catching a decent fish is a bonus. Just hoping for the seas to settle down a little as it sounds like there was a bit of a battering to have by all involved with the interclub marlin comp.

KEEP AN EYE ON ALL THE NEW NO GO ZONES AS OF THIS YEAR. see attached

Good luck, ENJOY, be safe and we might bump in at the marina.

CHEERS :beersmile:

BILLCHASER

aka ROB

Hi Achilles, Heading up to PS next Thursday myself with a group of mates and 3 boats. Staying at Halifax where all the action is. The best part of the comp is the comaradery between all involved in the comp. Catching a decent fish is a bonus. Just hoping for the seas to settle down a little as it sounds like there was a bit of a battering to have by all involved with the interclub marlin comp.

BILLCHASER

aka ROB

BILLCHASER

aka ROB

BILLCHASER

aka ROB

hi all i will be fishing the comp will be staying at halifax also .i am also hoping for good weather so i can get out to shelf and look for a billfish as not many reports of little black in close but still a week to go any thing can happen .boat name is riffraff if you see me came say hi.tight lines Edited by pappy1

Hi GUys... I'm keen to enter, but was wondering wether its too late.. whether ou need to be a member of a game fishing club.. and the cost... any idea?

cheers

stevehi steve you dont have to be in a club to enter the comp but if you enter now you will pay a late entry fee $130 senior $70 junior if you go to www.tbft.com.au you will get all the info .hope this has helped cheers dave

cheers

stevehi steve you dont have to be in a club to enter the comp but if you enter now you will pay a late entry fee $130 senior $70 junior if you go to www.tbft.com.au you will get all the info .hope this has helped cheers dave

Thanks Dave... checking with the crew to see whether they are keen. Lets hope I get a few good answers.

Best of luck to those entering. Weather looks pretty good

Steve

Has anyone got a gps mark for the salamander wreck inside the estuary. I have heard of the occassional good fish coming from this spot. It is supposed to be well known, but having fished up there of the rocks a fair bit, I have no idea. Will be up there Thursday night.