Sydney Harbour 14/02/08

Robbielites

Thumpin king!!!!! WELL DONE

Go the Yakka Liberation Front!

there have been some thumpers caught this week. I have seen pics yesterday from a mate that landed a Monster in the bay on monday arvo.

Cant wait for sunday!

how do you keep 5,666 people in suspense ???????????

Andrew will provide the punchline :074:

mate thats an awesome kingy :thumbup: well done..

i'll call it for 95cm... but whatever it goes looks like it was a great effort...

can't wait for the good oil on the capture of such a wicked beast.. :biggrin2:

cheers...steve......

Give that man a teddy bear!!! :)

Huntman has had ISP issues today and would I suspect LUUUUVE to tell the tale but unfortunately is not in a position too...

I how ever can add some detail....

The cable tie that was used to secure the Yakka to the hook was a KVS 200 x 2.5 in white :P

Robbie.

your such a tease robbie :1tongue:

ahhhhh the ol KVS 200 x 2.5 in white trick eh... :074:

as maxwell smart would say

thats must be where im going wrong....

i thought it was blue for little boys to 80cm and pink for the 80cm+ big girls :074:

once again well done on a great catch....

Edited by roosterman

haha robbie you're going to get an earful from toby when he hears you are letting out the cable tie secrets! Thanks all for the kind words.

All week I planned to get out friday morning with andrew snr my father in law, but he pulled up sick at about 10pm and at such short notice I thought the trip would be canned as I was hesitant about going solo. After a few 4am texts HMAS robbieboat with first mate basil was chartered for the morning with an 11am curfew as the captain had other affairs to attend to.

As usual we stocked up on some yakkas and went to go downrig. We rocked up at our first spot and I lowered the first rigger with the biggest yakka we had (still only like 6cm long) and told robbie to put the boat into gear. As I tightened the slack the line shot out and headed for the horizen. Being 6am I engaged in some "stating the obvious" and let robbie know I was on. I believe we must have dropped the bomb on the kingy's head and angered him enough so that the yakkas got smashed.

After the line came up tight the king changed direction and headed straight down, I started to get a bit worried and thumbed the spool pretty hard to keep him off the floor, I managed to get him up a bit and just did the old pump and wind until I got a bit of colour.

It was at this point that the king decided to make an account for himself and he charged back down ripping the drag off my tld pretty easily. I didn't feel like I was going to lose him, but he just went down deep and forced me to do more backbreaking pump and wind, and eventually just started doing big circles under the boat like a tuna. Rather ungentlemanly behaviour if you ask me, but then again, I guess fish aren't really men OR gentle.

Eventually I got him beside the boat and I was cautiously optomistic that this was a PB for me, beating my previous best of 74cm.

Robbie did an absolute gem of a job netting the fish, and dumped him at my feet. It took a half second to sink in, but we both knew once the fish was flapping around the back of the boat that this was a friggin huge kingy by our standards. After some whooping and hollaring we measured him and he came up 95cm so steve wins the guessing comp :D We were pretty thrilled and spent the next 20 mins taking photos before realising we should have probably dropped another bait down :P

The rest of the day was pretty ordinary, with a few missed hookups and lost a rat due to not enough hands on deck to wind up lines and bombs in time. Robbie also missed his curfew of course, hence why there is no report. Which is a shame because he is much more entertaining and good at story telling than myself. Especially when I'm falling asleep at the keyboard :tease:

pics to come when i am awake.

Ahhh 3 cms out

I love the thin yellow line running the length of the body

Lovely fish mate

imagine a double hook up with two of that size !

lol

well there were about 3-4 arches on the sounder when we checked it, but since there was only two of us we put one bait down at a time, with one driving. If we had our usual crew of three we may well have got a double! Of course we probably would have ended up stuffing it up though and losing both fish :P

A nice kingfish Rob and Huntsman! :thumbup:

I'm sure you'll soon see more that size and over as they come in from the fathoms where a lot of extra large models have been caught over the past week or so.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: