Downrigers, How To Loose Them

VA911

Just a quick note. Dont drive flat out over choppy water or even better not at all with the bomb attached and hanging at the end of the boom. I learnt this on sunday and would hate for it to happen to any others. Snaped the rigger clean off the mounting bracket and commited it to the harbour with bomb attached.

Leasons learnt...

Never drive around like that with the bomb hanging over the side.

secure riggers to the boat with a lanyard as well as the mounting bracket.

Here is a quick pic of the broken mount.

Image149.jpg

sorry to hear of your loss vince.

i always bring rigger in as i was worried that bouncing around bomb would smash into side of my fibreglass boat and damage it...

thanks for the heads up as it didn't occur to me it could break off like that...

did you at least get any kings that day...

ps: that jew hole i showed you produced a 15kg specimen recently

cheers... steve......

Edited by roosterman

sorry to hear of your loss vince.

i always bring rigger in as i was worried that bouncing around bomb would smash into side of my fibreglass boat and damage it...

thanks for the heads up as it didn't occur to me it could break off like that...

did you at least get any kings that day...

ps: that jew hole i showed you produced a 15kg specimen recently

cheers... steve......

Steve,

Yeah i always bring the bomb in i just had a brain explosion on sunday.

Ended up with a few good kings but fished very hard for them. There were a lot on the sounder showing but it was very hard to get a solid fish to hit the bait. all my hard work in catching squid ended in most of it being hit by peckers. I did also catch a trev on the downrigger which is a first for me. I will never buy another Cannon downrigger though. Plastic everything including mounting bracket.. Not up to standard. Am looking at getting another Walker electric or Scotty electric.

Would have been a gret night for the lucky angler, Looks like a very fishy hole. will have to do it again before it gets too cold.

Vince

Edited by VA911

vince, same thing happened to us on robbies boat, the bomb caught and ripped the rigger off and ours was a scotty too, you just have to bring them up, that's two FRs who have learned the hard way now :( Now whereabouts is this fabled jewey hole hahaha

ummm... make that 3, or at least 3 who'll admit to it :blush:

:05:

at least i get to upgrade to a Scotty Electric. Ordered it today.. now the wait begins again.. Gota love our exchange rates at the moment!!!

:1prop:

I will never buy another Cannon downrigger though. Plastic everything including mounting bracket.. Not up to standard. Am looking at getting another Walker electric or Scotty electric.

Not the Cannon tournament models. They are made of aluminium. I've got one and it would be hard to see how it would crack at the base, but with 5kg hanging off the end, I guess anything is possible.

You have me intrigued now. From what I saw, all the bases in the various brands seem to be made from plastic. What models have a metal base?

boban, the walker has a great mounting plate.

I actually looked at the scotty today and it mounts with a plastic plate but i am still going the scotty.. i have a walker and although it works its not the best setup as i dont think the switch is in a great position and is very touchy.

Looking at the scotty 1099 electric downrigger. dont know how much more i can say due to site regs.

Hey Vince,

Ya got to laugh when that shite happens :)

The mods to the boat look great. :thumbup:

Now tell me more about this electric. :biggrin2:

Robbie.

Thanks robbie!